Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Soda, Carbonated Water question

Ok, I will be two months out from surgery on 8/22 and I have noticed my weight loss has REALLY REALLY slowed down. I know its natural to go through stalls, etc.... I have watched my food choices and keep my carbs to usually less than 15 or 20 per day. Probably the one thing I have done that has been against the NUTS (from the surgeon's office) advice is about drinking Diet soda. I have not drank a lot, but I was getting really sick of crystal lite, do not like tea, needing something different than just Water. I also found this stuff at Walmart that I don't know if it is classified as carbonated Water or diet soda. It comes in a liter, and has ZERO calories, ZERO anything. But, it is REALLY good and satisfies that sweet tooth.

I'm just wondering if others have noticed drinking diet soda has affected their weight loss. I guess it doesn't make sense to me because its zero calories and it's not causing me to crave foods I shouldn't eat.

Anybody?

I drink the Wal-Mart brand "Zero Clear" - It is zero everything (caffene, calaries, sodium, etc... It does have 8 Vitamins and Taurine for energy... it is a "sparkling water" --- I love it, my husband says it is way too sweet, but he doesnt like my crystal light either.

I have not noticed any difference in hunger or weight loss by drinking the sparkling Water. It does help me get my Fluid intake in and gives me another choice other than plain water or cyrstal light.

Some claim carbonated beverages will stretch your sleeve, but after you're past the initial six month healing period, I doubt this sincerely.

One thing that IS true is that carbonated beverages are much more acidic than non-carbonated beverages (because of the carbonic acid they produce). Additionally, Diet Coke (and Diet Pepsi and Diet RC, etc. etc.) all have large amounts of other chemicals added (for flavor and as preservatives) that make them even MORE acidic, to the point where I would be concerned about the damage they might do to your incision scar, given repeated consumption. I used to be a HUGE Diet Coke drinker, and now that I'm sleeved I simply cannot drink the stuff because the acidity gives me a severe upset stomach and stomach cramps.

That being said, I've seen no studies proven that acidic beverages cause damage. But since there's no NEED to drink carbonated beverages -- there are plenty of refreshing and delicious non-carbonated beverages -- why risk it?

I'm not wanting to risk anything. It has to do with finding stuff that I like to drink that "fits the bill" without giving me a BIG $$ bill in exchange. I really don't care to pay $1 plus per drink, but might buy a few to supplement here or there I guess. The thing is I LIKE carbonation, and I'm looking for others to give their input on their experiences who have drank this.

I am drinking more Water than I ever used to, but I still need something else to break up the monotony.

Some claim carbonated beverages will stretch your sleeve, but after you're past the initial six month healing period, I doubt this sincerely.

One thing that IS true is that carbonated beverages are much more acidic than non-carbonated beverages (because of the carbonic acid they produce). Additionally, Diet Coke (and Diet Pepsi and Diet RC, etc. etc.) all have large amounts of other chemicals added (for flavor and as preservatives) that make them even MORE acidic, to the point where I would be concerned about the damage they might do to your incision scar, given repeated consumption. I used to be a HUGE Diet Coke drinker, and now that I'm sleeved I simply cannot drink the stuff because the acidity gives me a severe upset stomach and stomach cramps.

That being said, I've seen no studies proven that acidic beverages cause damage. But since there's no NEED to drink carbonated beverages -- there are plenty of refreshing and delicious non-carbonated beverages -- why risk it?

I wondered about the whole carbonated beverage thing myself and was thinking that diet soda surely isn't bad. I talked to a friend who had RNY about 6 years ago and she told me she went back to diet and thats when she started to regain!! I was shocked! So I will be steering clear. I broke caffeine before surgery so I really want to stay away from it altogether, it had it's hold on me for YEARS and no more!!!

I gave up sodas way before surgery, and I haven't started back on them. I am not even tempted! I got tired of the fruity drink mixes, so I tried Lipton Diet green Tea. I am hooked! It does't taste like regular tea. This has taken the place of a 40 yr Mt Dew habit for me.

:)

I really recommend staying away from carbonated beverages altogether. I blame my Coke Zero addiction partly for my weight regain, especially drinking it around meal time. It makes food pass through my stomach faster, and I have heard that caffeine can make you feel hungry.

I stocked up on those Water mixers before I left home. Ocean spray makes a good one. HawaiiAn punch makes a good strawberry lemonade. I also have the Mio water flavorings that add some variety. I get bored with the tartness of crystal lite sometimes and these help. Oh and propel makes one too that I think has electrolytes. I didn't care for the special k Protein waters. They had a weird aftertaste to me. I hope this helps give you some other options if yu are tired of the same old same.

I've drank soda since being below goal, and it has done nothing to change my sleeve capacity. I typically do not drink diet. I stick with gingerale or orange/strawberry sodas that are caffeine free, and I have experienced zero negative issues with having a soda here and there.

There is zero scientific evidence that soda causes sleeve stretching, and for that matter, no scientific evidence exists that soda stretches RNY pouches. It's not like soda sits in there brewing for hours, it hits the pyloric valve and empties into the intestine just like any other Fluid.

As for cravings for things because of my soda consumption, I have not experienced this at all either.

I've drank soda since being below goal, and it has done nothing to change my sleeve capacity. I typically do not drink diet. I stick with gingerale or orange/strawberry sodas that are caffeine free, and I have experienced zero negative issues with having a soda here and there.

There is zero scientific evidence that soda causes sleeve stretching, and for that matter, no scientific evidence exists that soda stretches RNY pouches. It's not like soda sits in there brewing for hours, it hits the pyloric valve and empties into the intestine just like any other Fluid.

As for cravings for things because of my soda consumption, I have not experienced this at all either.

THANK YOU!!!! I so appreciate this post as I am a big carbinated Water drinker... I ran into a bit of a rut with crystal light and was having trouble getting my daily Fluid in... I do crystal light, but at times I want the fizz, I want to drink the carbonated Water. Since trying the carbonated water I am hitting around 70 - 90 fluid oz a day with my fluid, so it has really helped...

I will take a few sips on occasion. I mainly stick to Poweraide Zero.

I looooove Powerade Zero :) The blue is my favorite!

Funny story unrelated to the topic posted: We were at a bbq and I knew I wouldn't be able to drink the soda, beer or cocktails that was there so I took a Powerade and poured it over ice in the clear plastic cups everyone else was drinking out of and several people asked "OOooooo.... what are you drinking? That looks good!!" Everyone thought I had a mixed drink. :) Made me feel like one of the crowd. lol. It's the little things...

This thread is good information. I had no idea so many people went back to drinking carbonated drinks. Diet soda is the only thing I miss. I always drank cafeine free so if I go back to the soda, it's not a double whammy in terms of any possible negative, acid and caffeine.

I saw a Dr. Oz recently where he said one of the issues was the salt content., that you lose when you stop drinking it because you are cutting sodium out of your diet and dropping Water. But the person he was talking about drank a huge amount of diet soda. I was a one drink a day person.

Eventually I will try it again. But I would like to hold off until next summer. But it's nice to know giving it a try won't make me drop over dead. Honestly, sometimes you'd think things like this were fatal to listen to my program people. ( Doesn't chewing gum mean you will swallow it and block yourself and die??? :rolleyes: )