Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I only had a few copays and then paid for meds. I didn't have a hospital fee or anything. Plus, because I live in sacramento and surgery was in richmond, I got reiumbursed for mileage and tolls. I would say I spent less than 100 for the whole thing then I got back 180. I have insuance through the state of ca.

My copay for the surgery was $25. I had several labs and test and meds after surgery probably about $75 all together.

It all depends on your plan and what it pays. I have a friend that had the surgery done and her co-pay was $400 for the surgery. Look at your benefits and see what your copay is.

Kelly

What was your out of pocket costs for the VSG with Kaiser ?

Also, if you are registered online through kp.org they have a link on there that lists all your benefits and tells you what your co-pay is for everything under the sun :)

I personally only had to pay $15 for 2 of my visits (psych consult and initial surgeon consult) then had to pay $5 for the refill for my pain meds. Best $20 I ever spent :P

I have Kaiser for individual plan. I paid around 2K out of pocket. I have the second from the best level of coverage available to individuals.

Lynda

I paid nothing on the day of surgery (yayyy). But I have a $15 co pay for most pre-op or post-op appointments. It really depends what type of Kaiser coverage you have. You can call memeber services and they will let you know exactly how much if any cost you will pay.

Thanks for all the info, I found out my total oopc on line... I have one more question. How did you get from the information class to the orientation class ? Do you have to go back to the pcp and get referred to the orientation or do you sign up at the info class or what? How will it go?

Thanks for all the info, I found out my total oopc on line... I have one more question. How did you get from the information class to the orientation class ? Do you have to go back to the pcp and get referred to the orientation or do you sign up at the info class or what? How will it go?

Yup, after the information class you go back to your pcp (I just e-mailed mine instead of going in for an appointment) and he sent the referral through to the bariatrics dept. They said it coudl take 2-3 weeks for the bariatrics dept. to call you. They called me within 6 days. :)

I emailed my PCP and told him I was still interested and he sent the referral to bariatrics. The bariatric dept called me in 3 days.

KElly

:)

Hello! My name is Kat, by any chance did any of you have a BMI <40 with no comorbidities? If so, was it difficult to get a referral to bariatrics? I emailed my PCP and originally asked for Lapband. She referred me to the sleep clinic because of my BMI (36) with no comorbidities to see if I have sleep apnea. After turning in my take home sleep apnea watch test, I was notified by the pulmonologist that I have no sleep apnea=( After much more research I decided I would rather have VSG because I don't want fills or a port seen through my skin, etc. I am 23 and I'm tired of wearing big girl clothes. I'm tired of being depressed and tired. I ahve been dealing with weight issues since I was 14. I just emailed my PCP to ask about a referral for VSG but I have a feeling she's going to try to turn me away again.

I research Dr. JOssart at CPMC (formerly with lapSf). His office called me abck and said total for self pay would be $19000 plus without dietitian, psych, etc... I don't think I would get approved financially for that.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this to happen? I go to Kaiser Vallejo. (norcal) My dad works for Kaiser so I have insurance under him. My copay for visits/ meds is $5. I still need to find out how much a surgery would cost and if they would even cover me. I'm so sad. I don't have $19000 to pay for surgery. Diabetes, heart disease, etc are on both sides of my families. I don't want to spend the rest of my 20s this big.

5"5

217 lbs

Nice....I just checked my email and my doctor said this:

"Unfortunately any gastric bypass surgery including gastric banding and vertical sleeve gastrectomy will not be approved unless you have a BMI of 40 without comorbidities or BMI of 35 or more with at least 1 comorbidity. <br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">If you want to see a clinical educator for counselling on die/exercise, call the call center and they can schedule an appointment for you.<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">I understand that this can be very frustrating for you but unfortunately, there is no magic treatment for it. You've been able to lose weight with diet and exercise before."

What is not mentioned here is that I've lost anywhere from 20-40 lbs and gained back 30-50 more than 12x in the last 7 years. lovely. i feel like crying.

I have Kaiser also, in Orange County. My deductible is $3500. so I didnt even bother with them. I also had a BMI of 37 with NO commordies. My copay is $70. Isnt health insurance wonderful? I had my surgery done with Dr Ramos Kelly in TJ Mexico for $5500.00, which includes 2nights in the hospital and 2 nights in a great hotel. Let me know if you have any questions about him.