Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my surgery story

Finally a chance to sit down and do this -

I started my pre-op diet on 7/25, had it easier than most as I was allowed to have non starchy veggies and a limited amount of more carby items such as hot Cereal, applesauce, v8, sf pudding and light yogurt as well as all the liquids.

Had to drink the magnesium citrate on Sunday August 7th - not as bad as I feared, added a limeade mix in to it and was able to get it down. I had to do this at 4pm and was only allowed 1 Protein drink and Clear Liquids that day so there wasn't too much to "clear out."

Monday August 8th I had to be at the hospital (Memorial Medical Center, Springfield, IL) at 9am. I was ushered in to the pre-op area pretty quickly by a girl I went to school with (nice to see a familiar face). Her sister was also a nurse in pre-op so another familiar face. Once all my registration info was taken I was brought a gown and pants to put on, Aunt Flow was visiting so they brought me their version of undies and pad. Once I was all prepared they began attempting my IV - first person tried once and the vein rolled, second person got right in and the vein blew but of course she had to shoot some stuff in to be sure and that BURNED. They then had someone come from Anesthesia to do it and they got one. My advice, don't let them "numb" you - that shot hurts more than the IV and it doesn't work that great. Of course they were running behind in surgery. My pick up time was supposed to be 11am but ended up being around 1pm. Got a short snooze in. I woke up in my room around 5 pm I think (first thought it was 6 but I believe I was reading the clock wrong). Not sure how long I was in recovery. Woke up with a second IV in on my opposite arm and a few more stick marks. The original held through the first day and the 2nd was bad before the first. More on that. I didn't feel bad, very tired and tender, my kids were there and kept waking me up when the alarm sounded - guessing low heart rate. Two friends stopped by later too. I had a young guy CNA to take care of me and he was fun - very talkative and told me why he thinks iPhone is better than android LOL. Walked several times throughout the night and apparently a lot farther than most, circling the floor a few times. Had some ice chips. Not much sleep that I remember, seemed like I would just doze off and they would come in for something. Used the pump that night, not morphine but I don't remember what it was, same sleepy side effects but didn't make me sick at least.

Tuesday - The next day I lost my fun guy and got a crabby lady :angry: She was a little rough with me when she got my band to scan and I will blamer her for blow my IV, not sure if that is true but within a few hours I had a swollen arm of Fluid. Of course they didn't believe me and pushed some of the stuff in to prove it, ouch. And of course the 2nd IV was already bad too, I had thought so since almost the beginning but they didn't care. 2 more stick and digs before they called the PIC team to bring their ultrasound machine and find a vein - they rocked and got me one in my left arm bend - bad spot but it stayed good until they removed it after 2 more days! So day 2 was traumatic for me with IV's (yes, the one thing that I was scared of) and I was supposed to start drink 8 oz an hour starting at 4pm so I could get in 64 oz in 24 hours and go home on day 3. That didn't happen, I just can't do 8 oz in an hour. My air in my room also went out so it was 80 in there most of the day, after being 60 early in the day

Wednesday - Day 3 at 7am when the team came in and let me know I wasn't going home until my 64 oz were in, I got smart and realized hey I am awake longer than 8 hours in a day and so I just began doing what I could getting 3 - 6 oz in each hour. It added up and I went to bed at 8pm with my 64 oz in. Thankfully they were in there fixing my air as well - the Dr said I had men crawling out of the ceiling to see me :lol: That day I gave up the pump, no way to get in fluids while you are sleeping because of pain meds. I did try the Lortab liquid :blink: and that was nasty (but counted toward my liquid :lol:) . Told the nurses I wanted liquid Tylenol and they got it ok'd. At this point I am not sure I even needed it but just went ahead and took it as I could. They took me off the IV but left it hep locked. The team kept asking me why I wasn't using the pump and I let them know because it made me sleepy and I can't sip while asleep. This is the first day I showered and it was awesome. Slept great that night and walked short walks when I woke up. Circling the floor isn't fun when by yourself.

Thursday - Day 4 the team came in at 7 and let me know I could go home that day. I was READY!! Got a shower, got dressed, packed up, worked on my liquids and left around 1pm. Didn't walk much after home that day - figured I was good after the morning! Spent my day and evening on the couch, in bed at 7:30 after my fluids were in. Slept great! Got up around 1am with hubby and drank some fluids and watched a few shows, back to sleep at 3 am and up at 7am.

Friday - Day 5 I probably over did it. Showered, did laundry, went to a garage sale at my sis in laws (driveway on incline, parked at bottom), went to a restaurant where a friend waitresses (she had RNY 10 years ago) and she gave me a nice bowl of broth. That went down NICE!! Ran some Christmas lights to a friend getting married today to use. Went to Wal-Mart and Dollar Tree with my husband. Stayed up way later than I should of - but got my fluids in! Got to bed around 11pm I believe, after I read a little in bed. Much easier to get comfortable in bed last night.

Saturday Day 6 TODAY Slept til about 7am. Got shower, loaded dishwasher, put a few things away. I have spent most of the day so far on the couch. That's it so far! I do have a wedding to go to tonight, skipping the reception though!

A few other things that just don't fit in anywhere else -

I did get Lovenox shots days 2,3,4 in my thigh, didn't hurt.

My doctor does a scope while you are out to check for leaks, no separate leak test.

I was not allowed to use Gas-X strips. I didn't have any gas pains to speak of though, guess walking took care of them.

My hospital did not have heating pads but did give me heated blankets - not the same. I had my daughter bring mine from home and I did use it the second day some.

My pain was never above a 4 mostly around a 3 the whole time on a scale of 0-10 (10=worst) - with exception of the IV digging.

My driving restriction was only if I took Lortab so I can drive.

Thanks for the update Libbee! I do not know why hospitals started using lidocaine before doing the stick. It really is a waste. It burns and is very uncomfortable. A good nurse should be able to give a stick with just minimal pain without the Lido. I know most of the nurses don't care for it either.

Bummer about the AC...that would of put me thru the ceiling.

You certainly have alot more energy postop than I do! Good for you! I still get tired easily but I also suffer from fatigue anyway so it is not unusual.

Have fun at the wedding!

Thanks for the update and so glad that you're doing well.

Thanks for sharing! I had to come home with 6 lovenox shots . . . I've made my husband give them to me. Only 3 more and I'm done.

I also had one of my IV's blow my vein, my forearm is still swollen and tender a bit 3 days after it happened. It was my fault though, I caught it on something in my room while I was trying to move around.