Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I put off dating for a year?

I know everyone says you don't change on the inside after weight loss but I think it depends on the person and how much your weight has affected you on an emotional and psychological level. Some people have not been very affected by it but others have built up defense mechanisms because of it. I have been extremely overweight for many years and I believe that much of my overeating is grounded in emotional/psychological issues which I am working on changing along with the surgery. For me, this is a process of changing who I am both inside and outside. I do believe that I will be the same person at my core but a lot of things about me are changing and will continue to. I don't think that is a bad thing. Change can be good. However, I think someone who knows me next year this time will know a slightly different person that the one I am today. As far as dating goes, I believe you can take that day by day. You really have no idea if any of your fears will come true regarding whether the relationship will affect you negatively. If it does, then break it off. But it's hard to anticipate what will happen before it has happened!

You are already on a journey, why would you want to start on another one?

haha yeah, it was reaaallly awkward. I get the impression that she didn't even have something she WANTED to be passionate about.... she was quite content to be in her little bubble, and more power to her.

But that's not where I belong :P

I know everyone says you don't change on the inside after weight loss but I think it depends on the person and how much your weight has affected you on an emotional and psychological level.

I think this is a *great* point I hadn't considered.

GAINING weight definitely changed who I am inside. I'm less outgoing, less social, more fearful of being judged...

Maybe we're looking at it wrong, maybe WLS won't change who I am inside, maybe it'll just let me get back to who I really am?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches