Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forty Makeover Time?

I turn 40 in six days. I had my sleeve done 5 days ago. While I was in the hospital, my dentist's office called and asked me if I could come in. I have been working with him for a while on some teeth issues, and I was supposed to have some kind of device to wear for six months to fix a problem. There has been problems getting a lab to make the device, so it hasn't happened yet. He wanted to meet with me to talk about my options.

It turns out, he had consulted about my case with an orthodontist. He found out that I can fix my concern and fix some minor spacing problems I have in about 18 months if I have braces instead.

Braces. At 40. Plus massive weight loss?

It is something I would have done normally. I have been working on getting this problem with my one tooth fixed for more than a year now. It's a slow process. If it wasn't for the weight loss that I expect to have, I wouldn't hesitate getting the braces.

But both together? Braces and massive weight loss? It makes me feel like I'm going through a midlife crisis and focusing too much on my looks. Although, technically, my teeth aren't a deterrent in terms of my looks. The one tooth comes down too far, and it needs to go back up, but if they are doing all of that, I could actually have these other things taken care of as well. The cost for fixing the one thing is the same as the cost of fixing it all with actual braces.

If financing can be figured out (I have already paid for 2 sets of braces for one of my kids and just had two more kids put into braces that I will be paying for over the next couple years), I will do it. But boy, by the time I'm 42, I'll be looking quite a bit different.

I had braces in my 30s, haven't regretted it for a minute.

So here's my two cents: why the hec not Linda? You're worth it!!!! AND there's nothing wrong with feeling good about yourself. Lots of us have put ourselves last for many years, especially those that raised families, and sometimes cared for aging parents at the same time. It's only a "crisis" if your life is in turmoil and can't cope with the change and challenges of the passage of time. When you're grabbing life and moving forward and feeling good it's called living! :-)

I currently have braces. Clear on top, silver on the bottom. I had 2 front teeth that bothered me FOREVER. We couldn't afford it growing up. And when I got married well you know life kicks in with the house payment, kids, LIFE. Finally did something about it last year and got them on 2 months before my sleeve surgery. My son was going starting college and I wasn't sure if I wanted the extra expense. My hubby said you know you have been talking about your teeth since I've known you (since 1989), why don't you just go for it, so I did. They are supposed to come off in December. THEY ARE TRULY A PAIN, but I LOVE the way my teeth look now :)

I SAY GO FOR IT :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way I'm 43 and will be 44 in November. Never too late :)

I'm going to go for it. Thanks everyone for the great input!

Im in agreement, go for it! My 25th High school reunion is next year and I can't to see what kind of make overs I will want to do after I shed some of these pounds so I can look my best. It's my hubby's 25th also. We went to rival schools in our community so we know a lot of people from each others class, even though our paths didn't cross until after HS. I'm hoping to feel very confident on his arm at his reunion, who knows, maybe I will be his Trophy wife :lol: LOL!

im not 40 yet, but i had my braces on when i was 31, and im glad i did. there are so many kinds that you can get now, like the invisaline, if you only have a small problem that might be the way to go. there is also another option...its called snap on smile. you get it in two visits. its like lumineers, only about 1/5 the cost. abbout 2000, and they finance. no shaving your teeth, no pain, and no fuss. you go in for impressions on one visit...wait for about 2 weeks, then you go in for your fitting. they snap over your real teeth. you can eat with them, drink, everything. they look like real teeth, and you can even get a whiter smile with them. you can remove them like retainers, and they are all the raive right now. i have seen before and after pictures, and they are amazing.

they cost less then most braces, and you get almost instant gratification, without people commenting all the time about why you have braces at your age. believe me i got that all the time and like i said i was only 31. some people can be so rude. :D

anyways, go for fixen them, you will feel great, and look great too!

So Linda, did you do it :)?

I say go for it too! I got braces(for the second time) in my late 30s. My teeth really hurt for a few weeks and I couldn't eat much. Sounds like a perfect time to be on a liquid diet smile.gif

I made the appointment for my additional consultation. It is in September.

I say go for it too! I got braces(for the second time) in my late 30s. My teeth really hurt for a few weeks and I couldn't eat much. Sounds like a perfect time to be on a liquid diet smile.gif

OMGOSH This made me laugh! I got my braces on in June of last year about the same time my surgeon called me and said um don't gain weight and try to lose...THANK GOODNESS FOR MY BRACES at the time, I really think it helped me to lose 12 lbs. before my surgery.

I'm not gonna lie...THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE BUTT! Especially eating in front of people. food is everywhere, but with that said I only have 4 months to go and so far I'm super happy with the outcome biggrin.gif

I made the appointment for my additional consultation. It is in September.

Yayyy!