Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling low BMI's

I am 4'11" tall and weight 182 bmi 36. I will like to get everyone's outake on their success after surgery. I am worried on calorie intake and how to maintain goal weight of 105lbs. All input is greatly appreciated. :)

I eat between 600-800 calories a day and less than 40 gms of carbs. I keep a food journal. I drink at least 64 ounces of Water a day. I take all my Vitamins and Calcium. I have 17 lbs to goal and I'm not stopping until I reach it. This has been way easier for me than dieting, I ate loads of Protein when I was fat because I like it, so it's like I'm eating my favorite foods. I have lost my taste for sweets and can't eat bread (it balls up in my stomach and hurts) but that isn't a bad thing.

Wow same doctor... he was the best!! food journal is a good idea. You are very close to your goal. You must be ecstatic! Good luck...

Hi, it's great to hear from others with lower BMI's. I fought to qualify for Weight Loss Surgery. My personal doctor saw that I have osteoarthritis and high cholesterol and felt the surgery would be beneficial. I finally qualified at a BMI of 35.9. Part of my pre-op requrement is to attend a 12 week Options class (Kaiser) and lose 10% of your starting weight. My problem is if I lose that or more I will be way below the qualifying BMI and who knows, the surgeon could turn me down (I think)!!!! Anyways, I would really like to hear how your surgical consults went being that you are all "Lightweights" like myself. My goal (after surgery) would be to reach 115 lbs which is what I was in 2002 (so I've been there). I am 5'1" and my starting weight was 196 lbs. I've so far lost 13 lbs so now I'm at 183 lbs.

Looking forward to hearing all your journeys.

Thanks.

Hi, it's great to hear from others with lower BMI's. I fought to qualify for Weight Loss Surgery. My personal doctor saw that I have osteoarthritis and high cholesterol and felt the surgery would be beneficial. I finally qualified at a BMI of 35.9. Part of my pre-op requrement is to attend a 12 week Options class (Kaiser) and lose 10% of your starting weight. My problem is if I lose that or more I will be way below the qualifying BMI and who knows, the surgeon could turn me down (I think)!!!! Anyways, I would really like to hear how your surgical consults went being that you are all "Lightweights" like myself. My goal (after surgery) would be to reach 115 lbs which is what I was in 2002 (so I've been there). I am 5'1" and my starting weight was 196 lbs. I've so far lost 13 lbs so now I'm at 183 lbs.

Looking forward to hearing all your journeys.

Thanks.

Britgal, if you qualified then you are in! Lose as much as you can pre-op, because then you are that much closer to goal after surgery. I have seen Kaiser folks with BMIs of 30 or 31 getting their surgery after they complete Options. I self-paid as my BMI was 35 with no co-morbidities and I didn't feel like waiting to get fatter and sicker, but my PCP has been great about post-op followup..

Thanks Foxbins. I really appreciate your feedback!!!

I am only 11 days post op... I will keep you posted. I also worry about the dreaded hair loss and skin sagging. I do take my Vitamins, Calcium, and Protein to prevent Hair loss but what about skin. Will I be able to tone it up in the gym before my big 40 :(

Just had a conversation about hair and skin at dinner tonight! You are so young you should be able to tone up with no problem. How are you feeling otherwise? I'm scheduled for September 6...(BMI 34-197lbs). How did you feel the first week after surgery?

Hi Lisa here i have a BMI of 35, i am 4.11 weighed 177 down to 169 start my liquids on tues getting sleeved aug 30th , i am also 47, been thinking about the skin thing, hopefully wont have to much only planning on looseing 65 lbs, very excited.................

The surgery is not that bad... Gas is the most painful. I took gas-x but what helped is the suppository. I used children suppository the first week to relieve some discomfort. Also, listen to your stomach when full. Sip gradually and stick to your diet. Just my 2 cent during post op. Best of luck!

The surgery is not that bad... Gas is the most painful. I took gas-x but what helped is the suppository. I used children suppository the first week to relieve some discomfort. Also, listen to your stomach when full. Sip gradually and stick to your diet. Just my 2 cent during post op. Best of luck!

Thanks for sharing...every little bit of information helps!

The best advice that I can give you is to follow your plan, especially Protein, Water, and Vitamins, as closely as possible. I didn't and even though my weight loss had been really great so far (46 lbs gone in 2 months!), I started to feel really terrible. I'm getting on plan now and it's already making a difference in the way I feel. Good luck to you!