Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why can't we drink when we eat?

I'm having a hard time remembering not to drink during meals. I don't understand why. I have always had to keep my Water intake very high due to vaso-vagal symptoms (I faint if I get dehydrated) and I have such a strong need to sip water between bites of food. Is there a reason that I can't or shouldn't - why do I need to wait 30 mins after a meal to drink anything?

It liquifies the food you've eaten making it easier to consume more than the prescribed amounts, can cause faster gastric emptying and leaving you less satisfied which leads to more hunger/less satiety, and in turn, gives us more room to eat over our caloric goals for the day.

I was stringent about not eating and drinking simultaneously until I got to goal, and my capacity increased. I still do not drink with my meals. However, I do take small sips if necessary. I still do not start really drinking until 30 minutes after a meal.

I posted this link on another thread but it's worth putting here as well. For anyone who's not sure why drinking with our food is a bad idea. Although we sleevers don't have a "pouch" as such, the logic still applies I think!

Drink and Eating Demo

I definitely regained 50lbs partly because I felt so hungry, which could have been because I started drinking while eating...

I'm having a hard time remembering not to drink during meals. I don't understand why. I have always had to keep my Water intake very high due to vaso-vagal symptoms (I faint if I get dehydrated) and I have such a strong need to sip Water between bites of food. Is there a reason that I can't or shouldn't - why do I need to wait 30 mins after a meal to drink anything?

I'm with you!! Four months out and one thing I still miss the most is drinking water with my meals. It is so hard, but I do not drink anything but an occasional sip here and there with meals. I only drank water with meals, but sometimes I could go through 2 or 3 glasses of water at a restaurant. It is easier now, but I still miss it. Hang in there...it is worth it in the long run...Kathe

A really simple and straight forward demo! Thanks for posting! I will try to avoid even the little sips I sometimes take during meals.

I couldn't bear to not at least sip with meals. I haven't noticed that it effects my ability to eat. But that's just me. If I regain I'll take a look at anew.

The video is great for patients with a gastric bypass. They do not have a sphinctor muscle between their pouch and the intestinal connection so fluids will wash food through much more quickly.

Sleeve patients retain the pyloric sphinctor in all of its previous glory. There is no medical evidence that my doctor can finds that indicates that it suddenly quits working after a sleeve. That is, the muscle remains contracted until digestion is completed in the stomach and then opens for slow drainage into the intestine.

I honestly believe that sleevers can drink some liquids with impunity. I drink about a half a cup of liquid with meals and can tell no difference in the length of timebefore I get hungry again when compared to not drinking. I personally do not see any reason to give up drinking with meals. Neither does my doctor.

Each of us should listen carefully to our doctors instructions but doctors are not gods and (heaven forbid!) have been known to be falliable.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow, I must be in the minority here because when I try to drink, even a sip during a meal, it just backs up into my throat and I feel like I will throw up. It definitely does not push my food through.

I am a little over 5 months and I still miss drinking while eating. That and eating slowly have been the toughest two things for me.

I had the same urge to drink too for the first 2 months, and well, i spent a LOT of time puking or what we like to call on here "GETTING SLIMED" .....i have now mostly gotten over the urge to drink and only vomit slime every once in a while when i forget to not drink....

:PGreat video! thanks for posting!

Ya know, I've read lots of theories on eating and drinking together and here's my experience. Drinking while eating doesn't increase my capacity to eat solid foods at all. In fact, unless I drink before eating it will actually make me more full. So if there's something good I really want to eat I will drink before the first bite so I can eat more of the food (steak usually because it doesn't keep well for leftovers). NOW let me say I don't normally drink and eat at the same time because on occasion it has made me feel yucky. So that's my experience!

I just found this posting and I'm so glad I did!!! The video clears up all the questions I had about why I can't drink with meals!

Thanks so much!!!