Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I TRIED to eat a baked potato today......

First, I am 11 days out and I tried to mush up and eat a baked potato today for lunch to no avail. I tried at least 4-5 bites to see if it got better but it didn't. It is a mushy food and I am allowed to progress but it didn't work. Suddenly my chest felt tight and just uncomfortable then my heart started beating so that I could feel it just sitting there. Why is that? Is my stomach just not ready or is this one of those foods that I won't be able to eat again? I had butter, very little sour cream and melted cheese. Was it the melted cheese? Was it this Dumping Syndrome thing that I still don't understand? Help!!! I want to be able to eat a baked potato again someday.

You can eventually but I dont handle potatoes well even 10 months out. Potoatoes are straight carbs you would probably the same reaction if you ate icecream. I used to.

You are sill really early out and I would not have been able to eat potatoes that early either!! When you have something that doesn't feel great or agree with you, just wait like a week or two and try it again.

I am sure that you are just too swollen to have that right now. Potatoes sit really heavy on your sleeve and with you still being early out and swollen, that many bites was just too much I am sure.

At that early out, I did the same thing with grits and felt the same way. 3 bites and I was DONE!! As soon as

that swelling goes down, things will feel much better. I could not do tuna salad and was so bummed, but in 2 weeks later I could.

Just try it again in a week or so and only like a bite or two. Maybe do some thinned mashed potatoes or thinned refried Beans. Thin the potaoes with milk to make them a little runny and wait 2 minutes between bites. That way if it is not going to work, you will know in between bites and wont have 3 bites in there hurting.

Good luck.

Kelly

use the regular soy milk for Protein to thin them with. Are you really allowed to progress onto soft foods on day 11? Most people are told to wait until 2 weeks to start pureed or soft foods...? if you are then start slowly with very thin foods then as you get used to it make them a little thicker and so forth and so on......:)

Agree with the above advice--I tried mashed potatoes as one of my first "mushy" foods, and they worked just fine, but I only had 2 bites and I was SO full! You might try new foods with a baby spoon; seriously, that way you are sure you're not overloading your sleeve with potentially unfriendly food (unfriendly for the time being, that is).

I'm suffering today from cherry overload--so I'm right there with ya!!

I still have trouble with potatoes (fries, baked, thick mashed, hash browns) now at 5 months out. They just seem to sit there and take forever to go through!

As for the 'dumping' thing, there is no telling. Different people react differently to certain foods. I really never know what will cause it with me. Too much sweet food will, but also heavy fat or cream (like alfredo sauce or creamy soup). But, from what I've read, it does get better and my episodes seem to be getting farther and farther apart.

Maybe try it out again in a week or so. Also, like someone said, maybe thin them out more with milk (soy or lactaid to be on the safe side).

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda surprised that some of you are allowed to eat potatoes of any kind. I have a list of do's and don't. Potatoes are deffiantly on the don't list. I'm sure it's because they are a starch...... I am however to have a yam.......I hope all of your dr's gave you pages of the type of foods that are good to eat, and which foods you shouldnt eat any more....

I was not allowed to have mushy's until 4 weeks. (i was so sick of the liquids by that time..lol) i was also surprised to hear you say that on 11days out, you were eating mushy's, I imagine it might be hard to lose weight if you eat starchy foods like potatoes, but I know everyone dr. says something different, so, please double check, just because some things are a soft food, does not mean they they will be good for you to eat.

The only foods that enter my mouth are high Protein foods and vegetables, ie...chicken, fish, string cheese, yam, green veggies, cottage cheese, greek yogurt etc...., there are so many choices of things to eat out there, im just suggesting that you make the smart choice, if this is something you truley want for yourself.

Hope im not sounding too bossy, I just know there are alot of newly sleeved out there, maybe this post might make a difference on choices of foods

good luck

Donna

My program's directions say that if it doesn't work, try it again in a couple of weeks. Mashed potatoes are on our recommended list for the soft/mushies phase (and they can have some Protein Powder mixed in to help with your daily Protein intake.) We start our soft phase in the hospital and work into more solid foods as tolerated over time. Potatoes aren't on the list of some of the more carbophobic programs out there, and they aren't the most nutritionally dense food out there so it's not good to make them a long term staple, but they usually go down well early on so they have their value there. I haven't had any baked potatoes since getting sleeved, (just can't have enough of one as part of a meal, or want/need/should have them often enough to make it worth the leftovers, but do have some mashed occasionally as part of a restaurant meal, or one or two of the mini gold potatoes roasted up with some steak (a lot of potassium in those suckers...)

Potatoes can be too starchy to eat in the beginning, Also, Most people can only eat about 3 bites of anything in the first month or 2 - that's it, no matter what it is. A lot of us were on liquids for up to 3 weeks after surgery, that's why some people will be shocked that you are eating food right now.

That said, if you have been cleared for mushies try:

cottage cheese

cream cheese rolled up in thin sliced deli turkey

blended oatmeal

very moist cooked white fish, mashed up

boiled, mashed yam (add some of the cooking Water to thin it out) with salt

But, seriously, no more than about 3 bites and make sure to wait an hour afterwards before you drink anything - it will come right back up. You may also want to measure your food. Early out, I used a 1/2 cup tupperware and filled it exactly halfway to equal a quarter cup of food. I couldn't finish a 1/4 cup of food for almost 3 months. If you don't measure, you will accidentally over eat and make yourself uncomfortable.

No more potatoes!!!

Take care---

I am 4 months out. I was allowed to eat mashed potatoes and baked potatoes during the "mushy" phase. I tried both, but they didn't work. Too heavy and they hurt my stomach. I could eat low fat Ritz crackers (one serving of 4 crackers). They tasted like heaven to me! I ate those every day for three weeks. But then I stopped because I realized they were a slider food for me. To this day I still can't eat potatoes, bread, rice, oatmeal or any kind of Cereal. I have tried the high Protein tortillas but even they don't work.

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda surprised that some of you are allowed to eat potatoes of any kind. I have a list of do's and don't. Potatoes are deffiantly on the don't list. I'm sure it's because they are a starch...... I am however to have a yam.......I hope all of your dr's gave you pages of the type of foods that are good to eat, and which foods you shouldnt eat any more....

I was not allowed to have mushy's until 4 weeks. (i was so sick of the liquids by that time..lol) i was also surprised to hear you say that on 11days out, you were eating mushy's, I imagine it might be hard to lose weight if you eat starchy foods like potatoes, but I know everyone dr. says something different, so, please double check, just because some things are a soft food, does not mean they they will be good for you to eat.

The only foods that enter my mouth are high Protein foods and vegetables, ie...chicken, fish, string cheese, yam, green veggies, cottage cheese, greek yogurt etc...., there are so many choices of things to eat out there, im just suggesting that you make the smart choice, if this is something you truley want for yourself.

Hope im not sounding too bossy, I just know there are alot of newly sleeved out there, maybe this post might make a difference on choices of foods

good luck

Donna

Not sure if you know that yams are not high in Protein at all. A serving (1/2 cup) only has 1 gram of protein and a high carb count of 19 grams. They are also very starchy, but they are low in fat if that is something you are looking for.

I had about 1/4 of a super large baked potato (i specifically waited until my daughter was visiting so I could share it with her) with some broiled chicken the other day. no issues, however I have had ZERO swelling and only experience the tight-chest feeling when i unknowingly push my sleeve capacity. it is an ongoing process to determine how much of each type of food your sleeve will handle/tolerate. You can determine a standard measurement (by volume, as I have....which is no more than 3/4 to a max 1 cup per meal total of protein/veggies and 100% dependent on the density of the food).

I eat for the nutrients I will receive from the foods...so with that mindset baked potatoes have a necessary nutritional purpose for me: POTASSIUM. I log all of my foods on myfitnesspal.com and am always below the RDA for potassium. Most foods high in potassium are also high in carbs, so every night I plan my next days menu....and adjust accordingly. I will choose to not put 1% milk in my Protein shake and choose lowest carb veggies/meals so I can eat some avocado, baked potato or some lima Beans and still stay under 40 grams of carbs. I try to choose potassium rich foods that are no/low sugar.

There is no "one correct way for everyone". Some people are carb sensitive. Some are carb addicts. For those people a baked potato could wreak havoc on their progress. For others such as myself an occasional potato yields better nutritional stats, so I eat it. I avoid empty carb items like Pasta and breads because I have no desire to eat them, they have no value for my nutritional goals, and they take up space that could hold Protein and Vitamin rich foods.

As others have suggested, try a baked potato again in a few weeks. While I haven't had any foods disagree with my sleeve (YET!) based on all the posts I've read here you will likely be able to eat them eventually. Everyone heals/swells differently, so be patient! and don't avoid baked potatoes just because they are a carb! they DO have a place in a well planned sleever's menu.

My Nut would love me to eat more potatoes, but it is one of the only things my tummy doesn't like. Especially baked ones, which are my favorite kind. I agree that they are really good for you, I would totally eat them if I could. My program moves to soft foods straightaway, so I would've tried the same thing you did, loris and Texas Gal.

I am almost 4 months out and I still can't handle potatoes well, and by handle i mean I can eat 3 small bites of mashed potatoes and then i'm done. the taste may be delicious but it doesn't pay because i then cant enjoy the rest of my food lol.

First, I am 11 days out and I tried to mush up and eat a baked potato today for lunch to no avail. I tried at least 4-5 bites to see if it got better but it didn't. It is a mushy food and I am allowed to progress but it didn't work. Suddenly my chest felt tight and just uncomfortable then my heart started beating so that I could feel it just sitting there. Why is that? Is my stomach just not ready or is this one of those foods that I won't be able to eat again? I had butter, very little sour cream and melted cheese. Was it the melted cheese? Was it this Dumping Syndrome thing that I still don't understand? Help!!! I want to be able to eat a baked potato again someday.

Here is a second way to look at it... perhaps you are lactose intolerant? Sour cream, butter and cheese all caused me problems the first 2-3 months after the sleeve. I am fine eating dairy now, but not then.

Not sure if you know that yams are not high in Protein at all. A serving (1/2 cup) only has 1 gram of Protein and a high carb count of 19 grams. They are also very starchy, but they are low in fat if that is something you are looking for.

On the glycemic index, yams are lower than white potatoes. People that follow the low glycemic index instead of just straight carbs find some yams acceptable. Southbeach and other eating plans recommend this. The idea is that when you eat high glycemic index foods, you get a quick insulin response and this triggers your appetite and its hard to feel satisfied. It can also trigger energy swings. I have found this to be true.