Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A tender moment with my Dad that I'll never forget...

Morning everyone,

I thought you might like to hear my little NSV from Saturday night :)

My Gran's cousin Dawn was over here to visit (we only see her once every couple of years), and since we've only met briefly a couple of times before she didn't know me or my story. We all went out for a big family dinner to Celebrate her trip, and I was sat next to my Dad and opposite Dawn and my Mum with the rest of the family down the table.

I can't remember how we got onto the subject but my Dad was egging me on to tell Dawn about my surgery. So I explained about my op, how much I have lost etc and she seemed very interested. I didn't touch on how I feel about it, or the difference it has made to my self esteem etc as I don't know her and felt a bit vulnerable.

So my Dad pipes up with "It's brilliant... she is HALF the girl, and TWICE the girl all at once! She wasn't at all happy before, but now she is like a new person."

I knew exactly what he meant by "half the girl and twice the girl", and I couldn't have put it better. His words really touched me and I had to go to the bathroom for a little cry (happy tears though!)

My Dad is 72 now and has just had knee replacement surgery, so he is a bit frail at the moment. I've been feeling quite keen to get married and start a family etc recently as I know he won't be around forever and I would love him to see that part of my life. I am just so lucky that he got to see me come this far, and I am so so happy that he understands how much this surgery has helped me become who I am today.

*sniff sniff*

xxxxx

Aww- what a sweet comment by your dad! :D I know exactly what he means too. We lose the weight but we gain our lives back and have more energy, charisma, and happiness!

And yes appreciate your time with your dad and moments like that- I only wish my dad could see how far I've come. ok- tear-tear on my part.

Congrats on your success- you are so close to goal! Smiles to you! :D

That is special! I often wish my Dad were here to see what I have done and how far I have come. I am sure he looks down from Heaven and smiles, as I know he was always concerned for me.

What a lovely story :) Thanks for sharing!!!

:hug: That's so sweet. It sounds like you're a daddy's girl which makes all the difference in the world to have his support and for him to see not only your outer changes but the inner changes as well. He seems like he's real proud of you and wants to share your success to the world. Your story made me smile, I wish my dad was still here to see my children, and now weight loss. This is such an amazing time in your life and even if you dont have a family before he passes away (God forbid) at least you know that he got to share in another great moment in your life. Its evident he thinks the world of his little girl and loves you dearly. Not everyone has that kind of love support from parents and for those of us that do, it's a true blessing.

:hug: That's so sweet. It sounds like you're a daddy's girl which makes all the difference in the world to have his support and for him to see not only your outer changes but the inner changes as well. He seems like he's real proud of you and wants to share your success to the world. Your story made me smile, I wish my dad was still here to see my children, and now weight loss. This is such an amazing time in your life and even if you dont have a family before he passes away (God forbid) at least you know that he got to share in another great moment in your life. Its evident he thinks the world of his little girl and loves you dearly. Not everyone has that kind of love support from parents and for those of us that do, it's a true blessing.

*Waaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh* *crying like a baby*

Thank you. Thank you. :cry_smile:

Okay...Now that I am sitting here crying like a baby--I am soooo happy for you. I'm soo glad my daddy will get to see me get small again. I hope he is just as proud.

What a great story, I'm so happy for you and your Dad!

Thanks for making me tear up! Great story and I could totally picture your dad. My dad is the same age too.

So happy for you both.

Awwww so sweet.