Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question for anyone that has been sleeved that was previously on high blood pressure meds. How soon did you stop taking the meds after your surgery? Same day? A week? A month? Did your PCP take you off? or Did you take yourself off the medicines?

Just checking. I currently take these each day: 1 Toprol, 2 Lisinipril and 1 Triamertene/HCTZ.

I was taken off my bp meds about a week after surgery. I had lost a lot of weight pre-op and had my meds lowered once. I became really dizzy a few days after surgery and went to see my PCP and he took me off my meds.

My bp has been normal since!!

Good luck to you!

Kelly :D

Thanks Kelly. I will schedule an appointment with my PCP for the week after surgery. Hopefully, I can be taken off too. :-0

I have a question for anyone that has been sleeved that was previously on high blood pressure meds. How soon did you stop taking the meds after your surgery? Same day? A week? A month? Did your PCP take you off? or Did you take yourself off the medicines?

Just checking. I currently take these each day: 1 Toprol, 2 Lisinipril and 1 Triamertene/HCTZ.

I was on 50 mg lisinipril and within a week needed to reduce, I am now down to 30 mg. At one week post-op my BP dropped to 90/50 ish... I adjusted (self directed) to 40 mg and monitored for 4 days, never getting above 97/70...at 30 mg now, my dizziness is gone and I'm averaging about 110/75. I haven't lost any weight per se since hitting my 3 week stall, so the bp has also stabalized. Understand, it's not just the weight loss...but the severe reduction in food and sodium. lol

I went home off bp meds from the hospital. I was on 5 bp meds prior. I am not sure why all of the sudden i did not need them, it was not like I lost all the weight over night. I think there is more to HBP than weight,

Thanks everyone. I didn't get put on hbp meds until 3 months after I got married. I guess the change from being single for 30+ years to having an only-child husband plus his loving-doting mom was a little more than I could handle.

We will see once I have surgery. ;)

Had my surgery on a Tuesday, on Thursday had a dizzy/weak spell. I thought I has just overdone it. Later, decided it might be bp so took 1/4 pill that evening. Next day same dizzy spell just not as bad. That evening I decided not to take the pill. Saturday mornng saw doc, he said no more bp pills! My bp had been 194/97 with meds the month before surgery. When the doc took me off pills that morning my bp was 113/77. I had been on bp meds for 27 years!!! Lovin' my sleeve.

My surgeon took my off all of my meds except my insulin (and he lowered that) the day after the surgery. For a couple of weeks after that my blood pressure wasn't stabalizing. It would be high and then drop low. I saw my endo about a month after the surgery and he put me back on 1/2 dose of my bp med. Seems to be fine right now but I hope to be completely off it soon.

week one follow up...kept telling the NP i was sooo light headed and dizzy ...B/P was 90/60...YIKES..it was up to 170/100 before meds so the benicar HCT i was one is gone now and my b/p is 128/70 last night. Very happy to see that med go. I thought it wouls take a long time but really it's been 25 pounds and a week. Good luck!

My surgeon said that your PCP has to lower them...he said docs get teritorial and so my PCP took me off the Lisinopril and wants me to check BP in a week and then she will lower the other two...in other words she has a plan! Check with them!

I have not been on blood pressure meds since the day of my surgery. I checked it at home every morning after surgery and it has been great, so I quit taking it. I've had it checked at the dr's office a couple of times as well and it has been very good. I was only on 25 mg (1/2 pill) of Atenolol, and I had only been taking it for 6-8 months prior to surgery. I had my dr's ok to stop taking it and to monitor it on a daily basis.

Be careful. Blood pressure is nothing to fool with and may not respond right away to the weight loss. I was 2 months out or more, before I was able to halve my bp meds. The best thing to do is to monitor it yourself or go to a clinic..most offer free BP checks and get many readings over many days............then if it is consistently low.....call your DR. and have him change the dose.

Don't just do it on your own as YMMV from everyone elses' BP. Just like some people on here never had diabetes before the VSG and some get it afterwards and with the weight loss.......our bodies are complex machines and all are different.

I took my lisinipril up to the day before surgery. I was in hospital 3 days and 2 nights without my BP meds. When they discharged me my discharge notes said the surgeon took me off the BP meds. This was this week, so i guess i am off them now. Hope this helps

Thanks everyone. I spoke to my surgeon at preop and he said he would monitor it while I am in the hospital and afterwards, I would have to crush the meds up after I am released. I have an appointment with my PCP the following week.