Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success With PCOS

I started this topic to keep track of my success with VSG surgery while having severe PCOS (all the bad symptoms including excess hair, Hair loss, bad periods, cramps, pain in ovaries, mood swings). I noticed that there isn't too many information on the VSG experience with PCOS, so I thought I'd post this publicly for future sleevers curious about what to expect.

8 weeks post-op (10 weeks "dieting" if you include pre-op) my period seems to have normalized. I think this is due to the weight loss (55 lbs) but mostly to all the exercise I did. I started walking daily for 30-60 mins 2 weeks before the surgery, and kept it up afterwards. After a few weeks, I lowered it to 4-5 times a week.

The first 3-4 weeks after the surgery, I actually had pain in my ovaries (probably cysts). Eventually this went way.

2 weeks after the pre-op diet (and a day after my surgery) I noticed that a majority of my mood swings were gone. It felt like the unsteady cloud in my mind had finally been cleared. I attribute this to all the exercise and lack of carbs. I've noticed that the white sugary carbs have very negative effects with my PCOS. My weight loss so far has matched others (and even exceeded non-PCOSers!) but I notice it stalling if I have bread/pasta. I limit myself to half a serving of toast/whole wheat wrap and one serving of either crackers/pasta/potato per day. I usually have less but never more.

When I have my period, I don't get horrible PMS like before.

I have an appointment for laser hair removal next week, I will keep you updated on the experience/success. My past experience with American Laser Center was a waste of time and money with no results, so I am trying a different clinic.

This is strictly my experience and it will vary among us, but I truly think that the activity is what's really pushing me towards greater success. It's hard but anything helps. I will post more under this topic in the upcoming weeks to let you know of further progress!

I'm almost 3 months post-op and feel a HUGE difference!

Updates:

-My weight loss actually EXCEEDS my non-PCOS sleeve friends. I really attribute this to all the Protein I've been having. I've been very strict about only having Proteins, with certain fruits/veggies and maybe whole grains as a treat. I've also been swimming 4 times a week and boxing once a week.

-I don't have those crazy mood swings I had pre-op.

-My period seems more normal. it's not always on schedule, but I'm no longer "spotting" in between (TMI I know rolleyes.gif)

-I don't have any pain in my ovaries.

-hair loss: Last year, I had huge bouts of massive Hair loss. Nothing helped except reducing stress and taking a bunch of Vitamins. Right now, I feel a few more strands falling out, but nothing extreme. My hair looks very shiny and healthy, better than it did before surgery.

-The most important thing : THE EXCESSIVE HAIR has almost been resolved!!! This doesn't have to do with the surgery, but with the Dermatologist I went to. I went to American Laser Centers for a YEAR and didn't see any results, honestly I think they're a scam! I went to this particular dermatologist just ONCE and 2-3 weeks later I no longer have to shave everyday. The stubbly dots are mostly gone. Let me tell you, my excess hair was EXTREME. She said my results were the best possible due to my pale skin and dark hair. So if you tried laser without success, go to an actual dermatologist to try a different type of laser. At my next laser appointment, I will ask her what type she used so you can try it out to see if it works for you. I am so extremely pleased and grateful for these results. I can actually go swimming without makeup! I would have never gone out without make up/shaving everyday before laser treatment. The procedure itself actually hurt A LOT and it took my face 5-10 days to heal. I only started seeing results 2 weeks after, but they were unbelievably worth it.

As someone with severe PCOS (which meds like Spiro and Byetta coudln't help), I can honestly say there is great hope for a cure!!!

That's it for now. I hope this is helping anyone interested in doing the surgery. It was the best decision of my life, just make sure you do the best you can! Please message me if you have any questions.

Thank you SO much for the info and follow-up! I, too, suffer from extreme hirsutism, along with all the other symptoms, and it so helps to know there is light at the end of this tunnel. Yes, if you can let us know what type of laser was used, that would be GREAT!!! Thanks again, Madison!!

Hello everyone! I received some messages from "lurkers" that don't comment but are curious about updates. I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while...but my life has been so busy in a GOOD way.

I don't know where to start, because as I look over my past posts it doesn't even sound like the same person. It's been so long since I posted because I've been so active with my "new" life.

I have to reiterate this for everyone who might be reading this (I used to silently lurk on WLS/PCOS forums for a long time)...I had possibly the worst case scenario for PCOS. Extreme hair loss and excess body hair (required shaving 1-2 times a day and still wasn't smooth).

I'm not that way anymore. I'm going to tell you something that my fellow PCOS sisters will be shocked by: I'm on a weeklong trip, and didn't bring a razor for the first time in my life.

My results were astounding.

-150 lbs lost so far. I can shop in normal-sized stores.

-Excess skin not as much as an issue I feared it would be.

-Social life much more active, confidence level at incredible highs!

-Mood swings rarely occur, and are nowhere near as noticeable as pre-weight loss.

-Rarely get pain in ovaries.

-I still don't get my period, but my doctor is certain it's from the extreme weight loss because my labwork looks PERFECT.

-I still have the Vitamin D deficiency that comes with PCOS, but that is taken care of with a daily Celebrate Protein shake and sun exposure.

-I lost a LOT of hair after surgery. It is very thin and I have cried a lot over it. I don't have any bald spots, but I had such thick hair before it's very traumatizing to see it so bare and thin. However, it looks healthy and shiny. I'm VERY glad that I decided to keep it long and not cut it, because it looks beautiful now.

-Facial/body hair. For body hair, I started sugaring which keeps me hairfree for 3-4 weeks. I just had my fifth laser hair removal appointment and I no longer have facial hair. This is the biggie that most of us PCOS'ers are concerned about. I don't need to shave everyday, and I don't need to wear foundation anymore to cover the bumps/stubble. I have a light shave every few days, but even then it's not necessary and only out of paranoia. The laser type used on me was a pulsed diode. I went to a dermatologist center. I MUST STRESS THIS. American Laser Clinic is a giant scam and I regret wasting my time/money there. A real dermatologist gave me great results at a much cheaper cost.

I owe a lot of my success to extreme activity and very careful nutrition plan.

That's all I can think of for now. I will update again in a few months. If you have any questions, please message me!

I love this topic! I have PCOS, and to have both of my children I had to have a lot of fertility treatments. I know that even after weightloss I may still need fertility treatments to get pregnant (I have issues beyond PCOS), but it's so reassuring to know that others are getting help.

I'm excited!

Thank you so much for doing this topic :). I have PCOS for years now. I am 3 months post op and I am not longer insulin resistant. For the first time in 7 years, my insulin levels are normal yay!! My periods are normal,they were irregular and really painful before. I am having some Hair loss but I always had hair loss, I am lucky that I have lots of hair. I had 1 baby prior surgery,I have many cysts in my ovaries. And now I have my left tube blocked :/ I am not looking to have more children. But there is hope to get pregnant without fertility treatments. I lost about 40 lbs prior my pregnancy and that helped me to get pregnant. So after your VSG there is hope that you won't need fertility treatments even if you have cysts in your ovaries :)

Thank you all for reading and participating! PCOS is a really emotional subject and not a lot of people come out to discuss it frankly. I forgot to mention that I was also no longer insulin resistant very soon after the surgery! I think it has a lot to do with eliminating junky foods high in carbs/sugar. I'm so happy for all of you, I know it's scary but you will have so much success! I've been waiting a long time for a solution to these problems and I'm still in shock that I'm vastly improving. I encourage anyone with questions to message us! Congratulations on your pregnancies, I'm happy it's still very possible to have children with PCOS!

Thanks for posting this. I have pcos and the trouble I am having is the weight actually coming off. I will be one month post op on Tuesday and am only down 18lbs but keep bouncing 2lbs back and forth. The weight just won't come off no matter how much I work out or follow the diet (which I'm doing both religiously). It's very frustrating and I wonder if the scale will ever move and if I will ever lose this weight. I get very discouraged.

rodswife, I had only lost 20 lbs my first month, and 10 my second. I remind myself it's not a race. Also how tall are you? That can affect it too! Remember it's your journey, no one else's and using their data to gauge your own isn't fair to you!

rodswife' date=' I had only lost 20 lbs my first month, and 10 my second. I remind myself it's not a race. Also how tall are you? That can affect it too! Remember it's your journey, no one else's and using their data to gauge your own isn't fair to you![/quote']

I'm 4'9 lololol. You are right, it isn't fair to me but doesn't make me want it any less. Lolol I'm just ready to see results with how hard I've been working.

18 pounds is a lot for someone as tiny as you! that's awesome! (PS I'm 5'0"!)

18 pounds is a lot for someone as tiny as you! that's awesome! (PS I'm 5'0"!)

Yea he said I'm on track but you know how it goes. We always want more. I need to exercise patience as well as my body. I'm glad I'm not the only short person here. Lol

I'm 3 months post op and my periods have completely sorted themselves out. I had my first period one week after my surgery, after an 8 month no show, and I don't know about them being regular cos I havent marked dates but I've now become one of those girls that knows when they'll get their period?

Sounds silly but that was never me, I pretty much walked around in fear of getting my period on the spot, to the point where I always had a spare pad in my bag and at one point wore panty liners EVERYDAY.

Thanks to Madison for creating this thread and keeping it updated, and to and everyone else for sharing their experiences. I have had PCOS for many years and was sleeved on April 17th. Despite the fact that have been enormously overweight all my adult life, my main worry all along has been my excess hair.

If the long-term effects of having the sleeve can release me from the daily burden of dealing with the facial hair - about an hour a day, every single day of my life - it will have been worth it for that alone. It was one of the first things I asked my surgeon about. More recently, and only slightly joking, I asked him if there was anything I could do to ensure that I keep all the hair on my head while losing the hair on my face and body. Sadly not, apparently!

18 lbs is a lot! I lost only 23 lbs in the first four weeks, and I'm 5'7. I eventually caught up though, especially size-wize. I'm at a higher weight but I look a lot smaller than most people in my weight range. Which is a shocker for someone with PCOS because we have a tendency to carry our weight in the most annoying areas -.-

I sometimes forget the person I used to be before the sleeve. All the painful, embarassing things that used to be a normal part of my routine. Reading the things you discuss brings back so many memories...I also used to carry a pad everyday and pantyliners for "fear" of my period sneaking up on me randomly. I used to shave twice a day.

I can't accurately express the amount of liberation I feel. I'm still paranoid though I no longer need to shave, because I've gotten used to waking up and removing it everyday. I can go days without hair on my face, and when they appear it's just a couple of fine strays that can be plucked out.

I don't understand why my body has to be so annoying sometimes though :P I'd like to lose the hair on my body not on my head!