Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI for some...but how do you smell?

Sorry if this is too much for some, but I have to ask....has your "female" parts changed the way they smell?

Since surgery its different for me. I don't know if its because of all the Protein and no veggies or fruits in my diet at the moment or what.

If this has happened to you, does it change or get better?

Yes, Yes, Yes, and be very careful using any products in those regions. Plus, your skin, (all over your body) might go kinda batpoop crazy. I broke out everywhere! ! ! My face looked like a pubescent teenage boy's face. I developed adult acne on my shoulders. Dial soap worked great for me. Witchhazel was another little tip I found to help with the funky body changes, and breakouts.

It's your pH being thrown off by ketosis. It does settle down. You might notice a metallic/funky taste in your mouth, fuzzy tongue, your general body odor might change, and it's not your deodorant. It's just your body smell right now.

Push fluids, and it does get back to a normal. The first 2 months were the worse for me.

no problems here. . . but then I've never had that problem anyhow. . . sorry i'm not much help in that dept. Have you tried some of those FDS (female deodorant sprays)? Don't douch though, that will wash away all the good bacteria and leave you open for some really nasty smelling Bacterial vaginosis. . . good luck!

I've never had that problem either that is why its freaking me out sorta. Doesn't matter how much I wash, or wash with, its the same every day.

Thank you so much Tiff.....yes I also have that taste/feeling in my mouth. Urgh!! Glad to know it will finally go away one day.

No break outs....yet....thank goodness.

I was just getting ready to ask a similar question. I was sleeved on the 29th of July and ever since my surgery my sense of smell has been multiplied x's 10!! It's not only my personal body odors, but everyone that I come in close contact with. If someone has had Italian food for lunch, I can smell 50 cloves of garlic. My birds cage never smelled to me before but now YUCK!!! Everything tastes different, Protein Drinks that I liked before surgery, I can't tolerate any more. I keep the worst taste in my mouth all the time. Any tips for the breath issue? I brush, floss and use Listerine and it comes right back in a few hours.

Yes I have noticed the change in body odor. NASTY! And your right, bathing several times a day just cuts it for a short while. Looking forward to the time when it settles down a bit.

Khy

I was just getting ready to ask a similar question. I was sleeved on the 29th of July and ever since my surgery my sense of smell has been multiplied x's 10!! It's not only my personal body odors, but everyone that I come in close contact with. If someone has had Italian food for lunch, I can smell 50 cloves of garlic. My birds cage never smelled to me before but now YUCK!!! Everything tastes different, Protein drinks that I liked before surgery, I can't tolerate any more. I keep the worst taste in my mouth all the time. Any tips for the breath issue? I brush, floss and use Listerine and it comes right back in a few hours.

Those funky, stout breath strips help. And, a tongue scraper really helps with the fuzzy tongue.

As for the heightened sense of smell, for me, that was the worse part of the recovery period. Baby powder absolutely made me vomit. To this very day, the hand sanitizer they gave me in the hospital to bring home with me and use for changing my dressings(before and after) on my pic line, and incisions/drains, still to this very day makes me dry heave. Smell is the strongest sense for our memories. There are things that I smell from that time, 2 years ago, and I get nauseated. The smell of the radiology department at the hospital still makes me queasy. I can only assume it's because my first couple of months I went through more CT scans to recheck for leaks and my sleeve status that the smell of that place just brings up some neurological memory. It was a traumatic experience to say the least. There is one rad tech there who wears a certain cologne and if he happens to be in the room with me, I want to hurl. It's the weirdest thing in the world. He's a super sweet guy, took amazing care of me at my worse, but his cologne and his smell just makes me want to puke all over him.

Yikes, that's crazy! I remembered a really heightened sense of smell when I was pregnant. I hope it's not like that for me, I couldn't even grocery shop because the smell in the meat dept made me nauseous all the time.

Wow! Great question! I thought it was just me. Texasmom, I've had the same problem and it seems to come and go. But when it's here, it's not good! :blink: Also, my periods are really weird now. They come on time but it looks like old blood. It's so weird and nasty. Does anyone else have this problem? It's embarrassing to even mention but hey, this is a pretty personal conversation after all.

Glad I am not the only one... Noticed fuzzy tongue and freaked out; thought maybe it would start growing hair or something. LOL

I haven't had body odor all over, but my sense of smell is crazy - just like when I was pregnant. I can smell people's breath before they even approach me. Gross...

This is exactly what I have been going through the last couple of days!! It is horrible, I smell everything! And the breath thing.....i feel like I have to brush my teeth a hundred times a day! I am so glad I am not the only one with these problems!! I figured it was part of the surgery, but really didn't know. Thanks for posting!

Sorry if this is too much for some, but I have to ask....has your "female" parts changed the way they smell?

Since surgery its different for me. I don't know if its because of all the Protein and no veggies or fruits in my diet at the moment or what.

If this has happened to you, does it change or get better?

I've also thought I have smelled different since the surgery. Although my urine color is somewhat clear, I have noticed that my urine smells stronger, and different. I also think I smell different...not necessarily in a bad way...just different. I guess these changes are due to our bodies reacting to the all of the Protein and changes.

I have also noticed my sense of smell is heightened. It seems that when my husband kisses me I can smell his breath more - and not in a good way - but who am I to talk with the terrible "hairy" mouth feeling and smell.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I am only 8 days out but I have not experienced this. Is this everybody?

I've also thought I have smelled different since the surgery. Although my urine color is somewhat clear, I have noticed that my urine smells stronger, and different. I also think I smell different...not necessarily in a bad way...just different. I guess these changes are due to our bodies reacting to the all of the Protein and changes.

I have also noticed my sense of smell is heightened. It seems that when my husband kisses me I can smell his breath more - and not in a good way - but who am I to talk with the terrible "hairy" mouth feeling and smell.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Monday I will be 7 weeks out and I have had all of what you mentioned. I agree the heightened smell was a surprise and really rough. My sense of smell seems to be returning to normal. :) My downstairs region at times still has a different odor...but is mostly back to normal as well. I have only had 1 period since my surgery and I was a bit freaked because it did look like old blood and was just overall different. I remember the fuzzy tongue and gross taste in my mouth. Happy to say that is long gone!!!!