Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I manage an office of 40 employees and I'm responsible for payroll & day to day operations. Not a lot of activity, just office work. I've heard different stories about returning to work, some as early as 5 days post surgery. I'm getting closer & I'm planning my time off for the surgery (not yet scheduled), I've allowed for 2 full weeks, but what are the chances I'll be able to return sooner?

Since it sounds like your job is mostly desk work, probably very good chance that you can return quicker than 2 weeks. I was "back to work" a week later since I was able to sit at my desk with my computer (that's the vast majority of my job). After surgery, I had no pain or nausea, and spent just one night in the hospital. When I left the hospital, I never did fill the prescription for the pain medication because I never needed it.

My doctor says if at all possible take 4 weeks as you aren't just having surgery on your body but your whole mind has to rearrange your behaviors.

I was just at my all day seminar where they review what to expect and the concerns with returning back to work. Mind you I plan on taking just a week off. The really want you to take more time not because of the physical healing but they want to make sure you are getting all your nutrition and fluids in. They are afraid that we will be side tracked and not able to maintain the regimine that we need to. It is really important the we "eat" every 2-3 hours plus get in our 64 +oz of fluids. You need to do what is best for you. If you think your job will allow to follow your Dr orders. Where you can set alarms or reminders to eat and have the time to slowly work on the food then go fo it. Mind you I am not sleeved yet. I have had several other surgeries and know that the anesthesia kicks your butt for a couple of weeks and your stamina will be low.

I just had my surgery a week ago. and i came back to work on the 6th day from surgery (this Tuesday). I am an HR Manager and also mainly sit at my desk. I am fine. I just drink lots of fluids, Jello etc.. and walk .. so far so good.

I had surgery July 20 and returned to work August 1st (a week and a half off). I too have a desk job and was just absolutely exhausted when I went back. If you're trying to go back early, I'd recommend seeing if your employer would let you do half days and work up to doing full days again.

I have scheduled my surgery for September 30th and don't plan on returning until October 11th and then working 4 day weeks for the next couple of weeks after that. I also have a "desk job" and will be considered light duty. My co-workers have reassured me that whatever I need they will be more than willing to help out once I get back. If you do plan on going back early such as me, I would just ask the same of your peers and try and do 3 to for day weeks for about a month. Best of luck!

Thanks everyone for your responses! @ Leahg -- I think that's a great idea to do half days, I'm pretty sure they'll approve it if it means getting paid on $payday$ or not, lol cool.gif That's my biggest concern. I do a lot of computer work so I technically could do some from home if I needed to, but really want to allow myself to heal and rest. @ Jennilee, I too think I would have a lot of support from my co-workers, they just don't know about my surgery yet. Since I work in a pediatric office, I just know they'll all (including the physicians) have a lot of "medical advice or pros & cons" that I'm not really interested in prior to surgery. When I do return, I'll tell them what I had done (too late to try to talk me out of it) and I know they'll be supportive & help me if they can.

I had the surgery on a Thursday and took the following week off. Went back after that with no problems other than being a little tired when i got home the first few days.

My plan is surgery on Weds - off work Weds-Fri PTO plus the weekend - work from home Monday/Tuesday (all computer work) - back in the office Wednesday. I'm really hoping it happens that way!! :)

I had surgery on Tuesday, August 23 and went back to work the following Tuesday. But I had already scheduled Friday Sept 2 off and Tuesday Sept 6 for the holiday. My only issue was nausea-motion sickness and getting enough Water in. My doctor had me extremely tight because of the histal hernia and diaphram. NOT to mention I have a co-worker that is a perfume and scented lotion bomb. OMG.......I left early my first day back--I was about to dry heave everywhere even after laying down for 30 minutes and then took off that Wednesday and Thursday and returned the next week with no issues.

If I would have had the transdema patch the first week, I would have made it through without a hitch. I was not excessively tired at all. I was actually driving 4 days after surgery.

BTW: I work in an office.

Plan for two weeks. I had my surgery on 9/14 and left the hospital the next day. My pain is minimal and I had planned to go back today. I didn't. This is a real surgery and it takes time to recover and that is the norm. Another thing I hadn't counted on is getting your fluids and protien in is a full time job at first. Take the time, you wont regret it.

I manage an office of 40 employees and I'm responsible for payroll & day to day operations. Not a lot of activity, just office work. I've heard different stories about returning to work, some as early as 5 days post surgery. I'm getting closer & I'm planning my time off for the surgery (not yet scheduled), I've allowed for 2 full weeks, but what are the chances I'll be able to return sooner?