Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New NSV's, but not sure how I feel about some.....

I work for a village and that has several departments in different buildings. Last night all the departments came together for National Night out against crime and I got to see some people for the first time since my surgery.

One lady who I have know for over 20 years looked at me, her jaw dropped and she said to me Where is the other person you used to tote around,, I laughed and said I lost her somewhere.

Then another lady jumps up and said "OMG" you look great! What are you doing. I simply said Protein first, then a veggie less than 40 carbs a day and working out... I wasn't lying, but I was omitting. Obviously the word had not reached public works and I did not feel like sharing in such a public place..

Then a lady from the Fire Department Says Look at you, you are wasting away to nothing! Now I know she meant well, but at 153 pounds I am hardly wasting away. I know she knows about the surgery.

Then this morning my Sergeant comes to me (he struggles with his weight) and says to me,, a lot of people are worried about you,, you are getting so thin you will blow away.

Of course that shook me after the wasting away comment and I went to a close co worker who has known and supported me from day and asked if I looked sick or drawn and she got a a screwed up look on her face and said NO, I then explained the comments and that I was just checking because I know I do not have the ability to REALLY objectively look at myself ( I will always be fat). She said it is just his insecurities about his own weight coming out and I do not look sick, nor has she heard "concern" for my health and trust me she is one of those folks you go to if you want to know the rumor mill.

So then tonight I go to a Physical therapy session for the first time in over a year for a rotator cuff injury to a place that had seen me at 271 pounds for bulging lumbar disks. Now there I had a little fun. Clearly the owner who had worked on me before was like, I know you, but I just can not place you......................... It was fun to see his face and I am going to see how long it takes if ever for him to put it together. I think I had more fun with it because you PT folk are into fitness and clearly respond to people who work out with more positiveness. Well I wore my work out out fit, rode my bike there and parked it inside(it is expensive) so they could not help but notice and they were all like, Not to many our clients show up here while working out getting to their therapy. Can you say Grin, Grin Grin:) And for the very First TIME IN MY LIFE I DID NOT MIND LOOKING in the mirror during my exercises to check my arm position and well checking me out. (YES I can still pick myself apart, but over all I like what I see compared to a year ago!)

So is that a conundrum of feelings or what??

Wow, yes...that's a dynamic lot of emotions! Good for you though...I say, check you out all you want! lol I love that you didn't spill the Beans and tell the PT. How fun of you. Wish I were a fly on the wall the day he figures it out. hahaha

Congrats on such a lot of hard-work, I'm sure!

Thanks for sharing Myrori :) I too have had some people say I am getting too thin, but I think it is just compared to how I was before! I guess people who don't know we've had the op may think that we may have lost weight due to illness since it is so dramatic.

Perhaps I am being dense, but I always see people talking about "NSV"'s on here, and I can't work out what it stands for! Maybe you can clear the mystery for me :D

What a great encouragement this post is. Real life examples of how much or life and perspectives can shift when we are finally becoming more comfortable with ourselves. Good on ya!

Perhaps I am being dense, but I always see people talking about "NSV"'s on here, and I can't work out what it stands for! Maybe you can clear the mystery for me :D

Non scale Victories

How fun that they didn't remember the old you! I do feel like sometimes I wish my weightloss/change were not the focus for other people so much. I have pretty much plateued for the last 2 months, yet almost every day at work someone will say to me "you just keep getting skinnier and skinnier!" even though I am not changing. I'm kind of tired of it.

Sounds like you got some co-workers that are green with envy. Keep them green. Were they concerned when you had your weight on?

Like the saying from the 70's...."Keep on Trucking"

Non scale Victories

Ahhhhhh!!! Now I get it!!! Thanks Sue! x

I sometimes feel the same way. At work, there are a couple of people who keep using the word "skinny". I WEIGH 193lbs!! I am so far from skinny!!! If someone has not struggled with their weight for their entire lives, or what feels like their entire lives, they just don't get it!

I sometimes feel the same way. At work, there are a couple of people who keep using the word "skinny". I WEIGH 193lbs!! I am so far from skinny!!! If someone has not struggled with their weight for their entire lives, or what feels like their entire lives, they just don't get it!

Here's the good news. They do not know how much you weigh... so they are used to seeing you day in and day out at a certain size. That they can see! But as you whittle away it takes them time to get used to the new you. To them, you really are skinny.

Here's the bad news. It's just gets worse. I was actually led around by the hand last week so some gal here at work could show me off. That was a little embarrassing!!! Apparently I'm the talk of the town here. I felt a little on display... I hope that never happens again.

Here's the good news. They do not know how much you weigh... so they are used to seeing you day in and day out at a certain size. That they can see! But as you whittle away it takes them time to get used to the new you. To them, you really are skinny.

Here's the bad news. It's just gets worse. I was actually led around by the hand last week so some gal here at work could show me off. That was a little embarrassing!!! Apparently I'm the talk of the town here. I felt a little on display... I hope that never happens again.

Oh my I thought I was alone with this one, I hate hate hate being put on display. There are certain people here at work that do that to me all the time.....I want to yell just stop it. I do make it known that it makes me feel uncomfortable and they still do it :(

Oh my I thought I was alone with this one, I hate hate hate being put on display. There are certain people here at work that do that to me all the time.....I want to yell just stop it. I do make it known that it makes me feel uncomfortable and they still do it :(

LOL!! I know, me too - I've tried every approach to stop this, short of just getting rude and all in their face. The only thing I think that will stop it is lots of time between my new look now and my old self. Maybe in a year from now no one will mention it anymore and everyone will be onto the next subject.

LOL!! I know, me too - I've tried every approach to stop this, short of just getting rude and all in their face. The only thing I think that will stop it is lots of time between my new look now and my old self. Maybe in a year from now no one will mention it anymore and everyone will be onto the next subject.

I hope so, lol