Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to take to the hospital

HI everyone. I know there is a thread somewhere that addresses this but I can't find it.

So far on my list are: Gas-X, lip balm and my CPAP machine. Can anyone add to my list and tell me what they're planning to take or took? Thanks for your input.

#1 most helpful thing I had: A heating pad - for gas pain in the shoulders and also just from getting stiff having to lie only on your back - or getting chilly at night.

A pillow from home

Your own washcloth

Slippers

Earplugs/eyemask - Essential for naps as I was in a sunny room right next to a busy nurse's station!

iPod

A trashy/easy read book - I did read on the second day, but only an easy one as I usual drifted off after 20 mins. You may not need it if they have decent TV - I was in Mexico without a lot of English speaking channels :)

That's really it, I didn't need much stuff because I was mostly sleeping or groggy...I know a lot of people bring a laptop, but I was glad I didn't lug mine as I wouldn't have had the time, energy or focus to use it during the first 72 hours in the hospital.

The only other stuff is basic toiletries - toothbrush, hairbrush, maybe a little Shampoo for a shower before you leave. But they provide you with most of the stuff you need anyway!

GOOD LUCK and don't be nervous! It really was a far easier experience than I thought it would be. :D

I took a bunch of stuff but all I needed was my CPAP, some clean underwear, and a book to read. Everything else was provided or unneeded. I like to travel light anyway, so I was kinda bummed that I had so much stuff that I didn't use.

Definitely take a pillow from home! Something that was a lifesaver for me was Biotene Dry Mouth spray. I hated that post op cotton mouth and sore throat....this spray helped so much! Good luck:)

i've started packing a little also - we are told to bring our own Protein just in case we don't like what the hospital has. I also packed some mixins to flavor Water if needed. I also packed a light robe, sleep shorts, carmex, gas-x. Planning to pack my laptop, nook, slippers also. Planning of course my tooth brush and hair brush - because just feeling a little "put together" makes me feel better. Paper and pen - for any notes. I have to take my program book with me also. My stay is 2-3 nights so I think it is a little longer than some.

i've started packing a little also - we are told to bring our own Protein just in case we don't like what the hospital has. I also packed some mixins to flavor Water if needed. I also packed a light robe, sleep shorts, carmex, gas-x. Planning to pack my laptop, nook, slippers also. Planning of course my tooth brush and hair brush - because just feeling a little "put together" makes me feel better. Paper and pen - for any notes. I have to take my program book with me also. My stay is 2-3 nights so I think it is a little longer than some.

My stay is supposed to be 2 nights also. I'm worried I'll be bored on Wednesday because I have to be there all day with nothing to do. My scheduled release is Thursday afternoon. I also went to Walmart and bought a heating pad yesterday following the advice on here. I'll take that too. Good idea to bring your own Protein.

The thing I loved having most was face wipes. Ya know, like the Neutrogena make-up removing wipes? I felt so gross after surgery and it was nice to be able to freshen up a little. The only other things I really needed were my pillow, chap stick, clean undies, a couple of magazines, and my toothbrush/toothpaste (even though the hospital provided that). And of course my iPhone, because I can't live without it. :)

The lap top was a life saver for me. I was walking the halls after surgery and feeling fine. I checked emails, instant messeged with my family back home, even brought movies to play on the lap top. Really passed my time.