Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, so yesterday for dinner I had some ff refried Beans with taco meat mixed in. Problem is, by the time I got home from work to eat, I was starving, so I ate too fast and almost lost it all 15 mins in. In fact, I keep eating too fast and getting twinges from the tummy telling me to slow down. I KNOW that is what I need to do, but I can't seem to actually DO it.

Any suggestions would be mucho appreciated. I am already eating out of tiny containers and with tiny silverware.

I have my surgery on Monday. I am scared of not being able to slow down too! I am on my preop diet right now, mostly liquids, but I am sucking the bottom out of the Protein Drinks and other drinks! I know that I wont be as hungry post op as I am now but dang! Can I slow down?? I am going to start trying to practice eating slowly. They say putting the fork down helps and I notice when I talk a lot during a meal, I eat a lot slower. If I am having dinner with a friend and we are talking, I dont eat as fast. Maybe that would help to call someone or talk to someone on a subject you are passionate about. Its all I got right now.. sorry I am not more help. Tammi

I eat too fast as well. When I realize it, I take a bite, put down my fork and chew 30 times before swallowing. Repeat, repeat. This approach really slows me down. Oftentimes, however, I don't realize it until the food is gone and I have an ache.

I'm having trouble eating slowly too! Especially when I'm really hungry ... I just lost my lunch after eating way too fast !! I just posted this question a few minutes ago... but when we do this and toss our Cookies, do we need to eat another meal? I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions, but will be reading this thread for any good ideas myself!

Good Luck to you!

The trick I've found is to not let myself get too hungry. Keep a cheese stick in your purse and if it's been 3 hours since you ate last then eat it. It will take the edge off and when you get to your next meal you won't be starving.

I have my surgery on Monday. I am scared of not being able to slow down too! I am on my preop diet right now, mostly liquids, but I am sucking the bottom out of the Protein drinks and other drinks! I know that I wont be as hungry post op as I am now but dang! Can I slow down?? I am going to start trying to practice eating slowly. They say putting the fork down helps and I notice when I talk a lot during a meal, I eat a lot slower. If I am having dinner with a friend and we are talking, I dont eat as fast. Maybe that would help to call someone or talk to someone on a subject you are passionate about. Its all I got right now.. sorry I am not more help. Tammi

I've struggled with this too, before and after surgery! I find that I have to stay very conscious when I eat. I mean I have to actually say: "I'm going to eat now, so pay attention" LOL I'm serious. So then I actually look at the piece of food and sometimes I have to cut it in half before I put it in my mouth because I got a way to big a bite. Then I chew a long time. But I also put down the silverware. I"ve actually done things like get up and walk to the kitchen or check on laundry etc. I don't really want to do that but I'm trying to train myself to take a longer break between bites. I found that when I do that, that first bite seems to calm everything down and then I slow way down. The biggest challenge has been in restaurants since I can't do all that crazy getting up stuff. AND since I cannot take drinks between bites to slow down. So there I am trying to take a bite and put the fork down and look at my phone, talk with whom I'm with and count two or three of their bites at least before I pick up my fork again.

Sorry I don't have better suggestions. Eating way, way too fast and too much in one bite has been one of my issues. I look forward to reading ideas on how others are working with this. Thanks for your post Bryn!!!!!

Hello, I'm new to this site but I am 3 months post op. When you have your surgery you will not feel like eating after, in fact, drinking enough Water in the hospital before they would release me was the hardest part. It will take time to learn your new eating pattern but please stick to your doctors list, it has been perfected and it's given to us for a reason. It will take time to learn to eat VERY slow and chew REALLY well, this is still difficult for me at 3 months. Just this morning, I either ate something that wasn't agreeing with me, I didn't chew it well enough or I ate it too fast. Everyone is different but you will learn your stomach's signals as to which one it is.

What I have learned eating at home and work is to take a small bite, chew really well and put my fork down. You must wait like 5 minutes in between your bites..............it should take you no less than 30 minutes to eat. Like I said, I'm still learning.

I eat too fast as well. When I realize it, I take a bite, put down my fork and chew 30 times before swallowing. Repeat, repeat. This approach really slows me down. Oftentimes, however, I don't realize it until the food is gone and I have an ache.

These are all excellent suggestions. Most specifically, putting your food and utensils down while you take the time out to chew your food. As a matter of fact, I'm eating lunch right now and doing exactly that. I'm not sure if it gets better in longer time but I'm nearly 11 months out.

Also, try to focus solely on your food and not your surroundings. I've noticed I happen to eat a little faster while eating and watching TV or conversating with others.

However, eating while working this website is perfect because every so often I have to set my bowl down to type out a few things, so it does get me to consume much more slowly.

Good luck!!!

What i found really helped me in the begining was timing myself between bites. I HATE to throw up and was so scared of doing so that made me eat slowly!!

I looked at the clock and would wait 1 minute between my bites and chew and chew!! BORING i know, but it worked for me.

Now that I am 3 months out, i just eat slowly now and have NEVER gotten sick!! So, it worked for me!!

Try it!!

Kelly :)

One thing that helped me was to actually count the number of chews. It's good for someone like me because it gives you something very specific to do. Count to 20 chews and then swallow. Believe me, that will slow your eating down!

I was told by the nut. today that a bite will be the size of a pencil eraser??? Is this true and you can chew it 20 times!

I have to put my spoon or fork down between each bite. Nothing else works for me.

I agree with putting the utensil down and then I wait until my mouth is completely done and swallowed the food. Then sort of "trace" the food going down until it arrives in your tummy (in your head...not literally HAHAHA) unless you want to practice alone!! :lol:

I have actually sat on my hand (eating hand)...just subtely slid it under the outside of my thigh and left my other hand on the table or in a natural pose. I don't want to look like I'm freaking out to whomever I'm with. lol