Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Can We Stop Worrying About Gastric Sleeve Complications

When getting this surgery I was worried about complications like blot clots and leakage ect. When do you think we can stop stressing so much about these complications and just focus on being healthy?

I don't know about clots and such, but my dr. told me that at 4 weeks your stomach is completely healed and that your risk of a leak is slim to none!

Hope this helps!

Kelly :)

I am two months and a day and I feel pretty normal again. But it took 6 - 8 weeks. My doctor said it takes that long and I think he was right. I wouldn't worry past the 60 day mark.

When getting this surgery I was worried about complications like blot clots and leakage ect. When do you think we can stop stressing so much about these complications and just focus on being healthy?

I had a micro leak that was discovered about 6 weeks out. Was in the hospital for like 4 days on heavy antibiotics. I have been feeling great since then.

But how was the leak fixed?

My surgeon said two to four weeks. Shocking reality is 5 years. The surgery has not been around long and no long term findings really exist.

But as far as leakage and those worries, they are not going to let you out of hospital if you are not okay.

Just don't do like burrito man. A guy in the same hospital as I went to decided after leaving the hospital to go to the Del Taco across the street and eat an entire burrito. He returned to the hospital and stayed for a year because of the damage he did to himself in breaking open the staple line.

Just follow your diet directions.

So basically a leak can happen at any time.

Mine fixed itself. It was a micro leak so nothing major, didn't need a drain or anything like that. I think I had a strange situation, just follow your doctor's orders. Some people heal more slowly than others. My surgeon was quite surprised that happened to me when it did. Typically it is around the 3-4 week mark if something is going to happen.

My surgeon said two to four weeks. Shocking reality is 5 years. The surgery has not been around long and no long term findings really exist.

But as far as leakage and those worries, they are not going to let you out of hospital if you are not okay.

Just don't do like burrito man. A guy in the same hospital as I went to decided after leaving the hospital to go to the Del Taco across the street and eat an entire burrito. He returned to the hospital and stayed for a year because of the damage he did to himself in breaking open the staple line.

Just follow your diet directions.

What a dumba$$ ! Well I'm sure his surgery didn't work for him either. . probably got out of the hospital and ate himself back to stupidness. . .my friends wife did the same thing. she had the surgery lost about 80lbs and then started to eat like mad again. He says that at 6 months out she can drink 3 beers, eat 1/2 pizza and hamburgers etc without any problems. He says he wishes she never did the surgery because she eats and drinks worse then she did before. . . amazing she didn't bust open her incisions as well. . . amazing. . .at 2 years out, I still get the slimies if i go over 6 oz of food at one sitting. . . :)

I am about 2 1/2 months out now and just found out today I have a pocket of infection in my abdomen, probably from a small leak in the staple line. I haven't run a fever with exception of one day where I had 100.5. My biggest problem right now is referred shoulder pain from my diaphragm and coughing which is also from pressure on the diaphragm. Hoping for some serious relief after they drain it tomorrow and that there is not still a leak.

How did u find that out??

I am about 2 1/2 months out now and just found out today I have a pocket of infection in my abdomen, probably from a small leak in the staple line. I haven't run a fever with exception of one day where I had 100.5. My biggest problem right now is referred shoulder pain from my diaphragm and coughing which is also from pressure on the diaphragm. Hoping for some serious relief after they drain it tomorrow and that there is not still a leak.

Well my ferritin level was high while my Iron and saturation was low so my surgeon referred me to a hematologist. The hematologist said this is anemia of chronic disease, mentioned rheumatoid arthritis and did blood work and a chest CT today checking for blood clots and I believe lung cancer. Instead they saw a pocket of infection in my abdomen pressing on my diaphragm.

Thamk goodness they caught it! Thank u for explaining. I'm scared