Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do i tell my co-workers or wait till the day before surgery??

I work in a small office of about 10 people, who love to bake Cookies, cakes, pies and love to buy donuts. They place these items in the break room that is across the hall from my office. So I can smell and see all these goodies all day. I haven't told anyone but my supervisor about my upcoming wls and struggle with them bringing in all these tempting treats. Should I tell them???

This is going to come off sounding super harsh, and probably isn't going to "sound" right, but it's really how I feel about these situations, even with family members.

I do not think we should expect others to change their behaviors due to our decision to have weight loss surgery. Temptations are going to be everywhere, and we have to make the choice to not indulge. While it's nice in theory that those co-workers would be supportive and not tempt you, if it's something they love to do, I would not be comfortable asking them to change what they do to accommodate me or my eating behaviors.

If you are close with the co-workers, and you know them way better than any of us do, then share with them that you are having WLS, and ask that they not tempt you by reminding you that those foods are there, or offering them to you directly. Pack your desk with more sleeve friendly options, be prepared for those times by having your own foods available to you.

Some people will offer you food because they worry you aren't eating enough. They'll make remarks about you wasting away to "nothing", or that you're getting too skinny. It happens a lot and it causes some people a lot of emotional turmoil.

I'm not opposed to sharing your choice to have surgery, but I would not feel it's fair to ask them to stop doing something they love because your choice.

You're right, that’s why I haven’t said anything to them because I don't want them to feel obligated to change or stop doing what they love. I know I need to learn more self control and after my surgery I wont be able to indulge on those treats anymore. I just have to close my office door so I don't have to smell or look at the food any more.

Get a candle or air freshner that you can plug in to mask the smells coming from across the hall. Tiffykins has great advice (didn't sound harsh at all, just honest). We are the ones to make the choices of what goes in our mouths. Just because it is there doesn't mean we have to eat it. It is hard but we are worth the correct choices!!!!! Good luck with your sleeve!!!:D

I totally agree with the others. I also work in a small office of about 12 ppl and I have just recently opened up to 3 co workers about having my surgery. We are an office that also brings in treats for everyone to nibble on and in addition I sit next to the company cafe. So the smells are always driving me crazy. I don't expect for the cafe to move to the other side of the building nor my co-workers to stop doing what they do, all i can ask is that they respect my wishes not to tempt or flaunt food around me, lol! Once our mind set has changed into eating to live instead of living to eat, it won't see so hard. :D

I have decided in my workplace to tell people, they have been supportative to me and for me and never change a thing! We have monthly birthday celebrations which always has goodies but we are sure to add veggies (this is for all of us and gives up better options at the parties) and such since any given day there is people who would rather have or want that instead. I'm glad to have their support and love and know so many are there for me if needed and will undestand why i suddenly choose not to participate in the "food fest" ...mostly I am not hurting my good friends feelings by not trying their fab new dessert, because she understands. I don't want them to change...and so far they have not. I guess i'm happier knowing they know and understand.

I know we all dont have that kind of support at work, but i'm happy with my decision.

Guest Rosalind

Here is your one word answer ................ NO!!!! Most people are unsupportive and jealous.

I did not tell a sole except for my husband and probably would not have told him if i didn't have to!! LOL

People are just so ignorant when it comes to this subject and I chose not to tell anyone. I think it depends on each person and how they want to live. If you want people to know, then tell. If you don't, then don't!

You will have temtation EVERWHERE with food and not just at work. Don't expect people to change for you. You need to change your behaviors! I still make cakes and take them to work for my co-worker's, but I don't eat them.

Kelly ;)