Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Timeframe for going back to work?

I was wondering what the average timeframe people are taking off from work for recovery. I work as an accountant and am planning a Thursday surgery. I plan on taking the rest of that week off and all of the following and returning to work the next Monday. So basically 10 days off in a row. Should this be ok?

That should be more than enough. I had mine on Friday and was back to work the following Wednesday. I, too, have a desk job. I was back at the health club just 5 days post op doing 1/2 an hour on the elliptical machine. Just listen to your body and you'll do fine. Be sure to get the flavoring for the lortab (pain med)

Hello! I had my surgery on a thursday and went back to work Tuesday. I could've went back to work on Monday but wanted to give myself more time to rest, even though i felt fabulous! GOod luck!

I too have a desk job and had my surgery on Monday and went back the following Monday.

I think if you don't have any complications, 10 days is pleanty time!! I was tired because I became severly anemic, but I was fine.

Kelly

Hey. I've been wanting to go to the gym. But my energy level is zero! I took my two weeks ER. I'm just hoping I have the energy to do it for 12 hours and we lift and turn a lot of people.

I also do bookkeeping and accounting.

I had my surgery on a Thursday, and "tried" to return to work on the following Tuesday. I was miserable and ended up going home early and taking the next day off. I could not take any more time off, so one of the things I did to help me was to take a nap during my lunch hour. I brought a small sofa pillow and put it under my desk (I have a private office). During my "lunch" I would lock my door, turn off the light, set my cell phone alarm,, and rest. THAT REALLY HELPED.

I am now almost 4 weeks out, and work is still hard. I have good days and "tired" days. I have been crashing at night around 8:00pm to 9:00pm.

I am glad that you are getting 10 days to rest & recover!! That should really help.

Thanks for all the insight! I'm using my last week of vacation time but feel its worth it and should be enough time. I have a high pain tolerance and normally recover quickly!

I needed two weeks and really wish I took three.

I guess everyone is different.

I didn't have any complications, but the pain was TERRIBLE.

I was wondering what the average timeframe people are taking off from work for recovery. I work as an accountant and am planning a Thursday surgery. I plan on taking the rest of that week off and all of the following and returning to work the next Monday. So basically 10 days off in a row. Should this be ok?

You should be fine :) I also have an accounting job. I had my surgery on a Monday and I returned to work the following Monday. I was pretty tired and I left 2 hours early but by today, I am feeling great and working the whole day. Today is my Day 10, and that is when you would be returning, so I think that will be plenty of time for you :)

Also, almost all of my pain is gone. I still have a little tenderness around the incision sites, it's just that i get SOO tired. Literally I can walk up a flight of stairs and I feel like I need a nap. lol. So it's really just the fatigue that you'll have to deal with.

I also had my surgery on a Thursday and took the following week off. I work in accounting as well. It was the perfect amount of time.

But like others, I was and still am very tired, I had my surgery on 7/7/11. So take it easy, but going back shouldn't be too bad.

Hope that helps!

I am planning on taking 3-4 weeks...Only because my job has very strict rules about time away from my desk until I feel comfortable enough that I am not going to get sick after eating I won't go back.

I have a hard job working in a factory lifting heavy stuff and he kept me off work for 5 weeks. It depends on what you do at your job.

Prior to surgery, I asked my surgeon how long i'd need to be out of work. He immediately said "4 weeks"! So than i said "well what if..." he interjected with "4 weeks"! So thats what I told my employer I needed, actually i told my employer 4 - 6 weeks just to be on the safe side. I am 8 days out and couldnt even fathom being back at work, I wouldnt be able to do it...and I have what is primarily a "desk job".

Hi,

I'm an accountant also, my surgery is on a Wednesday then I will take that week and the following. My surgeon suggested 3 to 4 weeks but that won't work with the close. Although I sit at a desk I have an hour commute on the train each way. I was up and around a week after my c section so I can't imagine this pain being any worse. (at least I hope not!)

I took off 6 weeks, and am really glad that I did. It is nice to be able to feel "normal" before going back to work. I know there is no way I could have gone back after 2 or 3 weeks, I was just too tired!