Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! Sleeve date is 2 weeks from tomorrow! Woot woot! So my question is: recliner or couch? Where did everyone recover? I don't want to go out and buy a new recliner if I don't have to but y'all say a recliner is easier I definitely will.

I recovered in my bed, I love my bed.. I just used extra pillows, no problems getting in or out..

I've been home since Saturday evening and have stayed in my recliner. I had my drain tube removed today and was able to take a nap in bed with about 4 pillows. It took a minute for me to get comfortable, but I got a couple of hours of sleep.

Good luck!

Hi everyone! Sleeve date is 2 weeks from tomorrow! Woot woot! So my question is: recliner or couch? Where did everyone recover? I don't want to go out and buy a new recliner if I don't have to but y'all say a recliner is easier I definitely will.

I'm not sleeved yet but I have had lap surgery b4 and let me tell you that a recliner is NOT a good place right after an operation. You will be surprised to discover how much of what you do affects your core (tummy area) and while getting you feet up might be tolerable using your legs (and core muscles) to putting it back down again will hurt like a ***BEEEEEP*** ;) The couch you can roll and use your arms to sit up from a laying position so that it doesn't hurt quite so much. Just do yourself a favor, don't spend toooo much time in either one. The more you move the quicker you will heal (not to mention preventing clots and whatnot), just don't baby your belly too much or "baby" is NOT gonna be happy and you will pay for it when you do finally have to get up and move. I have had a lap surgery and 2 cesareans..... trust me you don't want to let those muscles tense up! Good luck!!!

If you don't want to buy a recliner, just put extra pillows to help prop you up. My mom also tied a rope to the end of her bed and then she could use it to pull herself up instead of using her stomach muscles. Worked great for her!

Honestly, I spent most of my recover time on my couch with my feet up on the ottoman.. I have a very comfy couch :lol: Then, after a few days I started sitting in a reclined position and ended up sleeping laying down, wedged between the back of the couch and pillows supporting my belly (as if I were preggo)... I was sooo comfy! Add the Lortab and I was good to go for the night!

Really, I would save the dough for your new wardrobe and just use the couch. I agree with Kristie, don't spend tooo much time laying down.. get things moving w/ frequent walks to loosen up the gas and muscles!

God Bless and Good Luck!

I was sleeved 4 months ago.with Dr.Kelly in Mexico.I personally found the first few days in a recliner much more tolerable than a bed, even in the hospital! The recliner I had in my room saved my life many times. The bed was just too hard to move around in comfortably,especially since I found myself getting up and down a lot to walk the halls, go to the bathroom, etc. After a few days, I was ok enough to sleep in a bed halfway comfortable.

Good luck!

I used my recliner the first day only, then my bed (which is a climb up) with no problems. I don't think I would have spent money on a recliner just for recovery, maybe one of those really big reading pillows with the arms on them would be a cheaper option.

I have both in my living room and I never used the recliner. I found that the couch with several pillows did the trick for me. I could get comfy more easily by readjusting the pillows. I also positioned myself between the back of the sofa and pillows to support myself ( after a few days). The was so comfy.

I slept in my bed all but one restless night when I spent part of the night on my loveseat with pillows around me and a footstool. My recliner just sat there. After I get my drain removed today I am praying I can sleep on my stomach at least a little tonight!

I don't know what I would have done without my recliner. I'm 2 weeks post op today, and I am still sleeping in my recliner! I just can't roll over yet without pain because of my largest incision. I've tried to get in bed, but there was just no way. I told dh it may be another week before I'm back in bed. We bought a recliner when dh had rotator cuff surgery, because the dr told him he had to sleep in one. So fortunately we already had one.

I didn't have a couch available - only a bed and recliner. I generally would have to sit in the recliner after laying down for a couple of hours. After an hour in the recliner, then I could go back to the bed.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It seems like some people really needed those recliners. Good to know. I'm a baby when it comes to pain. I need to do more thinking about this :)