Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone have Celiac Disease???

When doing my blood work, I found out I have celiac. Disease. I am so stressed about getting sleeved and also trying to make sure I don't eat gluten. It seems to me that almost everything has gluten, it has got me down.

Try other flours. Bran, bean flours, nut flours...for your baked goods. It's just white flour that'll make you irritated. The sleeve shouldn't affect you infect it may help you keep away from it. Also commercial baked things will make celiac disease flare up too unless noted "Gluten Free"

I have Celiac Disease. I have been eating gluten free for years and was sleeved in December of last year. You are correct, it is in EVERYTHING! LOL! Well, not everything but when there are things you want, it seems like it is in everything.

When you get used to eating gluten free it actually will help you watch your intake after your sleeve. When you can't have bread (and trust me when I say I'd rather do without than eat gluten free bread. Most of it is pretty gross) it's easier to get your daily Protein. I eat a lot of grilled chicken breast which is great dense Protein that not only helps reach your protein goals but also helps keep you feeling full longer. When you feel full longer it is easier to keep from eating too many small meals in the day.

Here is an example of some of the foods I eat without having to buy special gluten-free foods.

Breakfast:

turkey bacon, boiled egg, grits, corn chex Cereal (the honey nut chex are also excellent to eat dry as a snack), yogurt

lunch:

Grilled chicken, shaved turkey and cheese (usually 50% less fat mozzerella string cheese), Healthy Choice Tomato basil Soup (so good!) with Protein powder

Dinner:

Lean ground beef with rice and powder ranch seasoning, lean beef steak with green Beans, grilled chicken fajita strips with rice or tortilla chips with refried Beans and lowfat shredded cheese

Trust me, once you get used to it, it becomes second nature. My symptoms improved so much that even though I do miss things, it is totally worth it.

I have also had Celiac for years- it runs in my family. My son also has it. I am just starting my vsg journey. One place you may check for great gluten free ideas is the Paleo diet think. We have gone to an almost grain free (very little rice) diet. I have lost weight, but am still struggling, which is why I am starting this process!

I don't have celiac but I am extremely allergic to gluten. I survive on lots of Beans, corn, rice, chicken and vegges. I also do a lot of juicing for my nutrients. For example for Breakfast I would have a protien shake, lunch homemade chili with 5 types of beans made with ground turkey, dinner maybe several deli sliced turkey with cheese. It takes some getting used to but so worth it.

Rudi's bread toasted is tasty (kept in the freezer at health food stores). Also Udi's bread @ Trader Joes. Both run around $5 a loaf.

When doing my blood work' date=' I found out I have celiac. Disease. I am so stressed about getting sleeved and also trying to make sure I don't eat gluten. It seems to me that almost everything has gluten, it has got me down.[/quote']

I have not been tested for Celiac Disease (long story), but I am pretty sensitive to gluten. Honestly, it's almost easier to eat GF (Gluten Free) now that I can only eat little portions. Always eat Protein first, then veggies if there's room. I find that bread, rice, etc, only serves to block up my sleeve and makes it to hard to get my needed Protein in.

That said, be careful when selecting Protein shakes. I stick with Syntrax nectar. It's a little more pricey than you're grocery store brand, but it's worth it both for the taste/texture and the nutrition.

They're are sooooo many alternatives. I'm a chef and the restaurant I work at serves everything on the menu GF. From pizzas to hamburgers/ sandwiches , and even pastas! It's very doable and really tasty. I'm sure u will do great. Any questions let me know ;)