Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All-Stars Preo-op diet thread

I start my 2 week pre-op today! Whoohooo!!

I'm actually really psyched up about it. I thought I'd be a bit scared/intimidated/mad, but I'm excited. Talk to me again in three days and I'll probably be singing a different tune - LOL!

But it means I'm sooooo close to getting this done!

I'm just about to make a chocolate-Peanut Butter Protein shake. I also made up a huge pot of chicken broth yesterday, and I have my thermos ready for taking it to work (along with another Protein shake). I work strange hours, so I'll have another shake before I leave for work at 2, plus some broth, then dinner at work will be a shake and broth, and another shake when I get home at midnight. I also bought some gum, and I have tons of crystal light, so I feel really prepared. I've got the Netrition protein samples, plus a bunch of nectar, plus the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup. I am all set! Bring it on!!

You sound rarin' to go, Kami - that's awesome! I started my pre-op 3 days ago. It feels exciting to be running that last lap before surgery. I'm suffering from all day headaches though (probably because I cut out my coffee). I'm hoping today is the last day. I'm doing two weeks with Week one: 3 Protein Shakes and a salad for dinner. Days 7-4: 4 Protein shakes. Then last 3 days just clear liquid. So far, I'm sticking to it and being a very disciplined girl. :)

That's basically what mine was and I was Monday also. Hope all is well!

Hi

I started my diet last Monday and have surgery on the 8th. I have 3 Protein shakes a day to get to 100gr Protein and unlimited non starchy vegetables and broth. I keep getting on the scale and I've only lost one pound. I know its not the purpose of the pre-op diet but its freaking me out for after the surgery. Any advice?

I'm not doing nearly as good as I was on Day 1. Yesterday I was fine until late afternoon, then it went downhill. I'm hungry, grumpy, and hungrier. Almost to the point of wanting to say screw it and just do Atkins for the rest of my life. I thought that diet was hard until this, now I would kill to be able to do it right now.

To make matters worse, I'm waiting to hear on a job that I interviewed for Monday. They said they hoped to make a decision by the end of the week. If I get the job, there's a chance they'll want me to start sooner than what would allow me to have the surgery. Now I'm not only hoping I get the job, I'm hoping that getting it will let me cancel the surgery so I can get off this insane liquid diet.

Sorry for my pity party, but I'm truly miserable.

Hi Kami -

hang in there! what are you allowed to have?

I hear you Kami! I'm still so hungry and it's day 5 of 14 - I have had a constant headache too since I gave up coffee. At some point, our hunger should subside a bit since our stomachs are shrinking - right? I don't think my Protein shakes are helping to fill me at all. I'm just mixing one scoop of the Protein powder with Water and there's just not enough substance to it. Maybe I should be buying pre-mixed Protein Shakes? Are they thicker with more ummph to them? I'm trying to take it one hour at a time, keeping myself occupied to get my mind off my growling stomach. BUT - WE CAN DO THIS!!! And it will all be a distant memory when we get to the other side.

Just read what I wrote - I sound so whiny - sorry.

Sara, I think I probably sounded more whiny than you.

Mine don't fill me up at all. I'm really sitting here almost crying right now I'm so miserable. I really want to throw in the towel. Wondering if I should call the dietician and see if there's anything I can add.

I'm allowed 4 Protein shakes a day, that have to have under 200 calories and over 20 grams of Protein. Then I can have broth or bouillon, and I've been having about 4-5 cups of broth a day. Then crystal light or other sugar free drinks. And Water. sugar free Jello and popsicles are allowed too, but haven't had any yet. There's not a lot of leeway to reduce hunger.

I think its the extra stress that is getting to me too. Thanks for listening you guys.

the sugar free popsicles are great to just crunch on for a snack. Also can you make your shakes with milk?

I finally bought some SF popsicles, and a little popsicle maker so I can make Crystal Light popsicles.

The rule on milk for me is I can use milk for the shakes, but only skim, and then I can only have 3 shakes instead of 4. I'd rather have my 4 shakes.

I talked to the dietician today and she said it will get easier. Day 3 is the hardest for everyone (and it was for me). She's actually had bariatric surgery, so she's done the pre-op. She suggested that I get some Wonton Soup for variety and strain out the wontons and stuff. Or any broth-based soup, so I stopped by the chinese place and picked some up and it was a nice change. I also made more of my home-made chicken broth last night, because it is a million times better than the stuff I bought. She also said French Onion is ok if you strain it, and I saw some of that at Walmart, so I might pick some up.

Right now I'm trying to gulp down a nasty shake (Nectar's pink grapefruit flavor). Then I'll have some more soup and head to work.

How's everyone else's pre-op diet going?

I had my daughter get me eggdrop Soup yesterday with as much eggs strained as possible - her friends parents own the place and it was sooo awesome. I have gotten Soup from a few other places too, including Olive Garden today and just asked for as much broth as possible. Not too bad but the eggdrop was the best and pretty sure I will be having more tomorrow! :lol: Bought me a nice strainer for a cup and it works well.

I finally bought some SF popsicles, and a little popsicle maker so I can make Crystal Light popsicles.

The rule on milk for me is I can use milk for the shakes, but only skim, and then I can only have 3 shakes instead of 4. I'd rather have my 4 shakes.

I talked to the dietician today and she said it will get easier. Day 3 is the hardest for everyone (and it was for me). She's actually had bariatric surgery, so she's done the pre-op. She suggested that I get some Wonton soup for variety and strain out the wontons and stuff. Or any broth-based soup, so I stopped by the chinese place and picked some up and it was a nice change. I also made more of my home-made chicken broth last night, because it is a million times better than the stuff I bought. She also said French Onion is ok if you strain it, and I saw some of that at Walmart, so I might pick some up.

Right now I'm trying to gulp down a nasty shake (Nectar's pink grapefruit flavor). Then I'll have some more soup and head to work.

How's everyone else's pre-op diet going?

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I am very excited. Today is the last day I will weigh as much as I do. I am going to take pictures tonight before I go to bed!!! Wow I can't believe I am going to be sleeved in 2 weeks!!!! Good luck everyone on you diets!!

I have a simple way to add variety to broth as I am in my first week POST OP.

I heat chicken broth, but then add a tsp. of Tomato pesto or satay to flavor it up. Makes me feel like I am having a gourmet meal.

I am gonna stroll the spice/sauce section to see what else I can find.

Hope it helps.

Sure! He didn't give me an exact recipe, but here's the scoop.

You start with veggies for flavor - make it 50% onions, 25% carrots, 25% celery. I think this stage has a fancy name - mirepoix or something like that. Cook them down a bit with just a bit of oil. Then add the Water, I guess just enough to fill up a decent sized Soup pan. Throw in some parsley, maybe a bay leaf, maybe some tarragon or thyme.

Then you decide what type of broth you want -- I'm going to make some chicken broth from a rotisserie chicken carcass. Otherwise, just throw in a bit of beef or chicken, probably better if you have some with a bone attached. But he did say you can throw in ground beef even (not sure if it is supposed to be cooked first - I'll check. He also suggested making a mushroom broth with some fancy mushrooms.

Then you cook at low heat for at least an hour. Let it cool a bit and then strain through cheesecloth.

Maybe a lot of work, but it sounds yummy, and it will let me control the sodium level. Oh, I didn't say to add salt, but add salt and pepper to your own preference. I'm going to make up a couple the weekend before I start pre-op and just freeze some.

Another co-worker told me that you can get organic chicken broth at costco that is yummy, so I might look for that too. Given that broth seems to be the only savory thing I can have, I'm anticipating needing a lot of it.

Starting my pre-op today. I get a shake w/unsweetened almond milk and 4 oz of fruit in the AM. A shake for lunch. Then dinner is 4 oz Protein and 4 oz of veggies w/a max of 1 tbsp of oil. I'm thinking this is doable...but I'm on day one and have only had breakfast...so, we'll see! ;)

Started my pre-op diet today, and so far so good. My surgeon's diet consists of, shake for bkfast, shake for lunch, fruit & yogurt for snack, dinner consisting of 3oz of lean meat and veggies. I must say I'm quite hungry, but I keep telling myself I only have 13 more days.