Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is soooo weird....

I was sleeved on the 20th two days ago and I am not even near being hungry and also when I see those lovely fast food commercials that I used to drool over no longer effects me and I actually get turned off.... Anybody else experience this after surgery?

Hey Congratulations! That is exactly what I have experienced as well. It is a very strange thing. I have been really bad about eating my four small meals because I haven't been hungry. I''ll eat a 2 oz SF Jello just so I can say I ate. Today is my 10th day out. The thought of the new subway sandwich (BBQ pork) made me sick when I saw those commercials. Good luck with your journey.

I REALLY think that they operate on your stomach and it seriously does something to your brain!!

I still get hungy, not that RAVENOUS, feed me now hunger and even the hunger I do have is getting better everyday. But, I don't crave greasy, bad for me stuff any longer. I want to eat good things now. When I use to see pizza commercials, I would order one. Now, it doesn't even phase me. I have no desire for a cheeseburger or french fries and I use to eat that crap daily!

Kelly :)

For the first month, the thought and smell of food made me want to barf. I had to lock myself in my room when dinner was cooking becuase the smell was terrible for me.

Congrats on your new sleeve!

I agree about the commercials! It's torture for me. What is even worse is I am still cooking these delicious meals for my family that I cannot eat yet! But I really enjoy knowing I'm cooking them healthy meals and I get some enjoyment from watching them eat. Is that weird? LOL

My husband brought in a bag of Dorito's the other day and didn't put them away. He left them on the table for the entire day. I couldn't bring myself to look at the table. Finally my daughter opened the bag to get a few and I got one out....and LICKED it. I'm was happy to throw it in the trash! I had no intention of eating it, I just thought tasting the flavor might help and it did! Gag!

Yup, I can't stand most commercials for food now - although the Subway ones I still like because the sandwiches look appetizing. I go past fast food places every day and it just turns my stomach. I give full credit to my new sleeve!

I wish I had that problem. I guess because I still can't eat food yet, my mind still remembers how it taste and the texture of the food. So I see the commericials and I would so just love to have a bite. Sometimes I just close my eyes so I don't have to see it.

I'm not hungry, its just my mind playing dirty tricks on me. I hope once I get to eating foods, the taste will turn me off some, so I don't want to overeat. Even though I know I can't (Thank the Lord and my Sleeve). Oh what I would give to just take a bite of a hamburger or maybe two bites.

And the funny thing is, before my sleeve I was so good about my diet and what I ate. I was doing WW and was only eating healthy things, now all of a sudden I find myself wanting the bad things again. Why? I hate this feeling. I wish I knew how to make my brain stop this, it's killing me. But if I'm not thinking about food, I'm fine. No cravings, no hunger. This is going to be harder than I thought, dealing with my freaking "head". I hate head games.

I know! It's so wonderful! I was sleeved 11 days ago. I took my children to Marble Slab Thursday. I stood and looked at all the ice cream and add-ins, and it didn't appeal to me at all! I wasn't tempted for even a split second. I'm loving this!!

I also was sleeved 11 days ago. I am still on liquids and am getting soooo hungry for something to chew on. food commercials are beginning to haunt me. A big greasy pizza sounds so good. I'm sure if I tried to take one bite, I would immediately throw up. Thank God for my sleeve. I just need to get past the "head" hunger. I go to the dr's soon, so I hope starting "mushies" will help.

K

I feel this way too. And it's awesome! I might spend a day running errands in the car and feel hungry. I'll look at Mcdonalds or something, know that I'd only eat a tiny bit anyway, and not go there because it's not worth the time and money to get something. Love it!

I felt that way the first few days after surgery. But then it's like my stomach woke up or something and I started getting really hungry. Once I started pureed foods I found that I would get hungry but I could eat just a few bites of something and that carried me for quite a while.

I'm a little over 3 weeks out now and just today I haven't been hungry at all. I've only had 2 Protein shakes and 1 stick of string cheese so far and I'm just not hungry but I will eat some Protein for dinner. I don't know if it's because I've been exercising a lot more the past couple of days or what. I hope it lasts!

@rainydayz. I hear yah!!! When I posted this it was a couple days ago and now all I'm thinking of is Food... Especially the week and half until my mushy phase arrives which I'm making a batch of garlic cauliflower mash (same as mashed potatoes including taste and without the carbs) and I can't way to start eating real food again... I guess since our stomachs are so swollen at first nothing phases us then that kinda goes away.... Having trouble with my pritein shots I bought because they are do nasty... Buying alot of coconut Water (not juice) to help replace some of the good stuff in my body.. (potassium, electrolytes,etc)

I think the fast food craving was an easy fix presurgery. Now I try to make the most of what I eat. I tried some Protein shot that were grape flavor. They make me gag just thinking about them. I stock up on EAS advant-edge shakes in 4 pack cartons. Only 2grams of carbs. Tastes good enough that I can drink 3-4 a day no problem.

The first few weeks were challenging for me. We tend to watch a lot of food Network, and all those shows plus the commercials made me really miss solid food. Until I started eating it, that is.... some of my old favorites just don't taste good any more, and I have absolutely NO desire for any sort of fast food. Partly, I know I would only be able to eat a couple of bites (still working with only a couple of tablespoons' capacity), and partly, it just doesn't sound good any more. I actually find myself craving shrimp (boiled and chilled), my Protein Bars (! who'da thunk?), and turkey slices. Weird, I tell you, just weird!! But great. I think once we start listening to our bodies, which we have to do in order not to eat past the point of comfort, it can tell us more about what it needs/wants, and junk food really doesn't fit into that plan.