Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So the journey to WLS as we all know is long and hard!! I feel like I have done a great job of holding my emotions together very well so far. Well yesterday I felt like I ran into a brick wall going 80 MPH on a motorcycle. I have completed all of my pre-op appointments and getting clearance from the Cardiologist and Pulmonologist and my Primary Doctor!!! I got the call a month ago that insurance approved the Lapband procedure and I am schedlued for August 8th...let me take you back a little bit I have been going back and fort between gastric sleeve and lap band I had been considering all of my options and had decided on Lapband.....Well yesterday I get a phone call from my doctor and as soon as I saw the number come up on my phone I felt my heart drop into my stomach it was the worst feeling ever. I was told by the Doctors assistant that he had decided he wasn't going to put a lapband in me that he felt it wouldn't be affective and give the results that I need....I know everyone says well thats good right?? Well it is I have battled my weight my entire life and I trust my doctor he is one of the best in the area I live in....I just wasn't expecting this huge change only 2 weeks away from surgery!! It scares me a little....I get nausea from pain medication and anesthesia. Oh well just venting a little so I am set for August 8th Vertical Sleeve or Gastric Bypass which ever one is approved by Insurance I am PRAYING that it is the sleeve!!!

Aw, I am so sorry, Kayla. I hope they approve the sleeve. I remember when you first started on here, and you found out your insurance might not cover the sleeve. I hope they change their minds and you get the surgery you want.

I am having the sleeve next wed. from my preop appointment, I learned the sleeve is not as good as they thought. They said it was very easy to cheat, and came with other issues such as band slipage, vomitting a lot. My dr.'s said the sleeve was much better and would be happy with it. Good luck!

Kayla,

Hoping you get sleeved!! I am August 8th as well, keep us posted!!

I've had a lap-band for going on 6 years. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I will give you my opinion, or collective data - whichever you prefer. I'm here researching revision, so my experience isn't the best, but it has been good. I'm happy to answer any questions.

I don't want to sound harsh, but you might want to put things on hold a bit. "I'll get whatever insurance covers, but I don't know what that is" is not going to set you up for the most success. RNY and VSG are apples and oranges, and your preparation for each, expectations, recovery, etc. are going to be really different. It's not something you want to be a surprise. Or - maybe you're equally prepared for either?

BTW, I see you have 215 lbs to lose. I had 200 to lose, when I got my band. I am osing my band, and even if I weren't, I would not advocate for the band as a long term procedure -- but it is possible to be a higher BMI patient and reach goal with a band.

I've had a lap-band for going on 6 years. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I will give you my opinion, or collective data - whichever you prefer. I'm here researching revision, so my experience isn't the best, but it has been good. I'm happy to answer any questions.

I don't want to sound harsh, but you might want to put things on hold a bit. "I'll get whatever insurance covers, but I don't know what that is" is not going to set you up for the most success. RNY and VSG are apples and oranges, and your preparation for each, expectations, recovery, etc. are going to be really different. It's not something you want to be a surprise. Or - maybe you're equally prepared for either?

BTW, I see you have 215 lbs to lose. I had 200 to lose, when I got my band. I am osing my band, and even if I weren't, I would not advocate for the band as a long term procedure -- but it is possible to be a higher BMI patient and reach goal with a band.

Thank you!! I am okay now with not getting the Lap Band.....I have read the horror stories....as far as being prepared I am 100% prepared for which ever surgery I am able to have I have extensively researched EVERY option I didn't come up with the idea to have surgery over night.....I know 3 people personally who have had Gastric Bypass I think having first hand knowledge and being able to see the progress they have made is great....So far my Doctors office says the Sleeve has been approved(*****KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED***********)