Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all Im 3 weeks Post op. And have been really considering having my tubes tied. I really dont want to deal with all this birth control jazz anylonger. The Hubby is a complete chicken on getting himself snipped, so its up to me.

HOW LONG AFTER WLS CAN YOU HAVE ANOTHER SURGERY?

IM GONNA ASK MY DOC BUT WANNA KNOW ALSO WHAT WAS THAT SURGICAL PROCEDURE LIKE FOR THOSE THAT HAVE HAD IT DONE?

thx Jen

Great post.....I am in the same boat. Infertile for years....now watch now that I loose weight I am scared of getting preggers...I am 45 for goodness sakes. Hubby still scared of getting snipped......I am VERY interested in what others say here...thanks for posting!

Great post.....I am in the same boat. Infertile for years....now watch now that I loose weight I am scared of getting preggers...I am 45 for goodness sakes. Hubby still scared of getting snipped......I am VERY interested in what others say here...thanks for posting!

I had my tubes tied laparoscopically (sp) back in 1997. It is a outpatient procedure and the pain was minimal. My incision was right above my pubic area and the size of an eraser.

The only downside I experienced is that my cramps got worse. I would have bad ones on occasion but afterwards every month was bad. Not all women go through this though. I'm getting the uterine embolism(essure) next month to stop the cycles all together.

I had my tubes tied the same time I got my sleeve, my gyno went through my belly button incision and afterwards I felt some cramping but not bad at all. It's a 10-15 minute procedure.

I also decided to keep my IUD in since prior to my surgery it had completely stopped my period. Since my surgery, my period has come back (even with the IUD) but it is so light and lasts for 2 maybe 3 days and I've had minimal cramping.

I would call your gyno's office and ask them what they think. Since it is a relatively quick outpatient procedure I wouldn't think you would have to wait a long time.

Good luck! - Tiffany

I had my tubes tied in 2003 during my c-section of my son. The cramps and my flow got worse, but that is because your not taking any BC pills to regulate it. So be prepared for that. I hated that part of it. In fact I asked for BC pills to help with it because my flow was so heavy. Only did that for about a year.

Now I'm post menopasue and don't have to worry anymore....thank goodness.

The usual response for back-to-back surgeries is 6 weeks, but ask your doctor.

Got my tubes tied in 2006 - outpatient procedure. The surgery itself was not too bad, but I always have a weird reaction to the drugs they use to put me out. I stayed home for a week after trying to get my head together. I don't remember how painful it was, to be honest. I will say that periods did get heavier afterwards and I had ovarian cysts for the first time. It was not bad enough to need surgery, but I was put on birth control pills at one point for a couple of months (which made me REALLY MAD). The cysts were painful and I had a lot of irregular bleeding. I can say that, right now, my body finally seems to be at peace with my tubal because my periods are much better. It is worth it not to worry about birth control - I just didn't want to take the hormones anymore.

You can expect really heavy periods for at least a year after, seems to be a common experience.

What is this thing of males afraid to get snipped... Sorry this has pissed me off for years. Hubby was willing to let me get abdominal surgery to fix the fertility problem but he REFUSED to even talk about a vasectomy. I don't get it....

Khy

I had considered getting my tubes tied after my 3rd & final pregnancy. Researching found a lot of women that were miserable afterwards due to hormones & heavy flow. Hubby was willing to get snipped vs another unplanned pregnancy. It's only fair - I grew three babies - had 3 csections - he can handle a tiny snip snip. Men.....

What is this thing of males afraid to get snipped..

Hi- Man HERE!

afraid? no!

was it uncomfortable- YES!

mainly the embarrassment of the nurse handling the goods and the expected response, even in a cold office. (thinking back- not any worse than the colonoscopy before surgery)

cost was less than the alternatives...

recovery- pain 1 day, stretched it out to a week off :)

the up side- wife has been hormone free and back to normalcy... BCP really made her pmsY more times than not.

was in and out in one hour, maybe less... wife made me walk home tongue.gif (kidding)

My advice to all married ladies here- get the Main Man in to chat with the doc.

seriously a li'l snip is better than anything!

WOW THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL INFO!! I really wish my husband of 17 years ( since highschool for gods sack) would step up? He almost did when but then said I shouldnt make him do anything he is affraid of WTF? anyway i wanna have good sex without worring all the damn time.

THX CHEF NEIL!

My EX husband got the snip and we were in our early 20's then. We had two children and HE didn't want anymore. So it was up to him to get fixed. We went to a urologist and he did it in his office. He was good and ready to go back to work in a few days. It's a simple procedure for men. Women, its a surgery and having to be put to sleep. What? They think we don't go through pain with periods, babies, and a surgery too.

Glad HE was the one to get snipped and not me back then. I had my third baby at the age of 38. I have a wonderful husband now and a sweet little 7 yr old son that love more than anything.

Talk to your husband more about it.

My husband had his vasectomy not too long ago. It was seriously NOTHING - they called him back, I couldn't read half a magazine and he was back out feeling fine. He had a little pain and swelling for a day or two, and never even filled his vicodin script. I had a c-section with my daughter and would have never considered a tubal given how easy a vasectomy is for a guy.