Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From what I've been reading on the boards, looks like a LOT of people are taking some sort of PPI (prilosec, omeprazole, nexium, etc). Did you find that this problem emerged post-surgery or did you have issues before? I've never had heartburn issues (unless I'm just REALLY stupid and decide that buffalo wings or a burrito is a good idea at 3 a.m. after I've gone out with friends) but am worried that I might need to start taking one as a preventative after surgery. I'm interested to hear what everyone has to say about their reflux issues pre and post-op. Thanks!

Most surgeons prescribe a PPI for 3-6 months post-VSG. I did not have any reflux issues pre-op. I stay on my PPI at over 2 years out because I do not want to deal with acid, or the false hunger that comes with reflux. I've had a couple episodes of breakthrough reflux in the pregnancy, and have been absolutely miserable.

It also helps protect the healing staple line.

I went on Prilosec about 6 weeks post-op because of false hunger pangs. I stay on it because I can, and hunger scares the poop out of me. My hunger has never returned. I was switched to Nexium in January after a case of gastritis, and have remained on it in the pregnancy since Prilosec is not authorized for use by pregnant women. Once I deliver, I will switch back to Prilosec.

I'm 39 years old and had never had heartburn in my life until after I was sleeved...it started about 1-2 weeks out. I immediately began Prilosec and will stay on for 6 months. Hoping I won't need it forever.

I've had acid issues for a long time. I was diagnosed with gerd a few years back and have been on prilosec since. For me it works good. I used to take it twice a day but now I only take it once and it does the job 95% of the time. I've noticed the acid is worse after the surgery and I have to suck on a tums every once in a while. Hopefully that's just a side effect of the surgery and it will settle down after a bit.

I had the same issues.....never had heartburn before (also except with the crazy spicy food decisions!) and have had it quite bad since about 3 weeks out. My doctor has prescribed a liquid form of Nexium which I take am and pm. I still sometimes have a flare-up in the middle of the day. I'm hoping it won't last forever!

I had GERD before my surgery and took Nexium for 8 years. I have not had any issues with reflux pre-surgery as long as I took my meds.

I am 10 weeks out and same is true, as long as I take my meds I am fine. I did have a day when I forgot and I was SICK!!!

I did also change to Prilosec from Nexium about 3 weeks ago and it has helped tremendously with my hunger.

Good luck to you!

Kelly

Let me ask you guys this - does the PPI you are taking STOP the reflux, or just make it less harmful/gross?

I ge the difference between PPI & antiacids, but I have a slipped band and when anything happens to increase the restriction, I get pretty severe reflux. If I take an antiacid, I still reflux, but it's a neutralized liquid instead of the burning acid. Still gross. I've tried taking a PPI in hopes that it would stop the reflux, and it doesn't. Again, I still reflux, but what I'm refluxing doesn't hurt/burn. In both cases it's like refluxing Water, but a little more gross...

Since the PPIs are shutting down the pumps, I'm thinking you still reflux - sine reflux isn't specific to a state or degree of acid in your stomach.

I am almost 8 months out. I only had heart burn during pregnancy prior to surgery. I came home with a script for prilosec 2 times a day. At week 3 I was having issues in the middle of the day when I felt sick to my stomach and couldnt eat. It felt like food was sort of backing up my esophugus (sp?) anyway I called my doctor and they switched to Nexium. If I forget to take my pill before I go to bed then in the middle of the night I get this feeling I need to sit up or I will vomit. That has only happened a few times. I will be on Nexium for the forseen future.

Hope that helps.

I am trying to decide if the VSG is right for me. I have the kind of reflux that comes up and literally feels like my throat is on fire. The thought of it getting worse after surgery is scaring me... I'm not sure I could handle it. But I really have my heart set on the sleeve... So did anyone have the kind of reflux that burns the throat and it is now better after surgery and with a PPI? Thanks!

I had no issues with reflux before surgery, and very few issues with acid in general. Post surgery, I still have no reflux symptoms, but I did have horrible acid for a few weeks (!--I'm a slow learner, evidently) until I read this forum and found out I should be on a PPI. Since starting Prilosec religiously, my acid symptoms are much better--without the Prilosec or when it wears off, it literally feels like a gnawing hunger, only it doesn't really go away if I eat a couple of bites or food. I hate it--it actually hurts. My Prilosec does tend to wear off faster now than it did at the beginning, so I'm considering switching to some form of twice-a-day medication just to keep the symptoms down.

Part of this is probably my fault for still indulging my coffee and Gatorade joneses.... but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, and those beverages keep me sane and hydrated, so.....

I had no issues with reflux before surgery, and very few issues with acid in general. Post surgery, I still have no reflux symptoms, but I did have horrible acid for a few weeks (!--I'm a slow learner, evidently) until I read this forum and found out I should be on a PPI. Since starting Prilosec religiously, my acid symptoms are much better--without the Prilosec or when it wears off, it literally feels like a gnawing hunger, only it doesn't really go away if I eat a couple of bites or food. I hate it--it actually hurts. My Prilosec does tend to wear off faster now than it did at the beginning, so I'm considering switching to some form of twice-a-day medication just to keep the symptoms down.

Part of this is probably my fault for still indulging my coffee and Gatorade joneses.... but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, and those beverages keep me sane and hydrated, so.....

I could probably stand a little bit of gnawing hunger, it's the acid taste in my throat that I can't stand. Thanks for the input. I hope the PPI helps you! Thanks for your answer!

I am taking prilosec at least twice a day. I prefer to take it before bed so I wake up with less heartburn and nausea. Then I take it again around 1pm for my afternoon bout of nausea and reflux. I am trying Prevacid which is Lansoprazole another PP!.

I am trying to find a PPI that is fast if taken once I'm feeling the burning from GERD -- omperazole isn't as fast acting as I'd like. I am trying to schedule the medication so that I don't have intense GERD symptoms throughout the day. I have enough trouble with nausea.

I very rarely had heartburn before I was sleeved. I had the stomach of a goat before my sleeve and I weighed nearly 300 lbs. So now I'm down over 50 pounds and have to take some medications. I'm willing to make the trade off to live into my 80s!