Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing/size question

I am a little over three months out and down 73 pounds. I started at 402 so I'm now 329. I am discouraged because I am only down about half a size. I am still wearing the clothes that I was wearing before my surgery. They are somewhat looser but I thought I'd be down one or more sizes by now. How long did it take everybody else to go down sizes?

Tough question because everyone's body is different. I didn't really get into a smaller size until about 2 months in. Once it started, though, I started going through them quite quickly. I was going shopping for something every 3 weeks or so. Also, my top shrunk faster than the bottom. I was having to buy shirts at a more rapid pace. I think, and I have heard others say as well, that it is slower going through the plus sizes. Once you get out of the plus size and into regular sizes, they go REALLY FAST.

Don't worry, it will happen!! You are doing fantastically well!!!!

For those of us starting at higher weights you typically stay in sizes longer at first than those with less to lose. I know how you feel. I thought I'd be in a 3X forever. Hsve gone through 2X much more quickly. It will happen.

Hi Gayle, wow congrats so far on your losses!!! You're rocking your sleeve girlie!!

Next, usually for the larger sizes you will stay in them much longer than you will the smaller ones. I went through my first sizes a little fast, but I literally stayed in 18's for about 40 Lbs I think. Now in my smaller sizes they are lasting around 7-10 Lbs each. I hope this helps!

Don't feel discouraged. You will get there. Time will pass the inches will melt away into smaller clothes. :)

Tough question because everyone's body is different. I didn't really get into a smaller size until about 2 months in. Once it started, though, I started going through them quite quickly. I was going shopping for something every 3 weeks or so. Also, my top shrunk faster than the bottom. I was having to buy shirts at a more rapid pace. I think, and I have heard others say as well, that it is slower going through the plus sizes. Once you get out of the plus size and into regular sizes, they go REALLY FAST.

Don't worry, it will happen!! You are doing fantastically well!!!!

I feel the same way. I am still using the same clothes I was and have lost a decent amount. Other people can see it...I still can't!

Same deal here...Have lost 39#s so far and still wearing the same cloths.. some are a little looser and some don't really seem to be...and though others are making "observations" about my loss... I don't see it and am just not gonna be happy until I wear a smaller size.

Hey Gayle:

It took me over 2 months to see any size change! I think plus-size clothing just has different lines--it's sort of designed to hide the body, so it's hard to tell when things aren't really fitting any more until a particular point. And that point is different for everybody and every body. I've only lost 60 pounds, but in the last month or so, I've moved from a size 26/28 and tight 3X's to 18/20's and regular XL's. Very cool. Don't worry... it's going to happen. You're on your way!

eh, everyone is different. I started seeing a change in fit of clothes almost 4 weeks after surgery. I am almost 3 months out, and down around 60lbs i think and am down 3 pant sizes and 2 shirt sizes. boggles my mind because i feel that i should be down in weight more. but as long as there are results, i can't complain lol.

So glad to read this. I'm 6wks out and have lost 24lbs but my clothes are getting bigger. My pants are baggy in the seat and waist is bigger each week. I will wear my clothes until they fall off but like everyone, I'm anxious for that to happen. Yeah!!!! This will work for us all.

All clothing are so different. When I weighed what I weigh so so many years ago, the sizes were much bigger then what I am wearing now. Instead of looking at the clothing sizes, did you take your measurements before you started. When I wasn't much movement with the scale or with the clothes, the measurements were getting smaller. Your weight loss is AWESOME so far. As it keeps getting repeated, we didn't get this way overnight, it will take time. Keep up the good work.

All clothing are so different. When I weighed what I weigh so so many years ago, the sizes were much bigger then what I am wearing now. Instead of looking at the clothing sizes, did you take your measurements before you started. When I wasn't much movement with the scale or with the clothes, the measurements were getting smaller. Your weight loss is AWESOME so far. As it keeps getting repeated, we didn't get this way overnight, it will take time. Keep up the good work.

I have been measuring, they haven't been going down. like last month i lost half an inch in a couple places and that was it

Totally agree with everyone here. It took a while to get out of my big clothes, and now I'm just noticing the differences. I was surprised because I had been wearing 24 jeans and yeah they were getting baggy so I needed new pants. Tried on a 20, and it was loose. Tried on an 18 and it was loose. I tried on a 16 and it was just right! Granted I have higher sizes of jeans that aren't quite right, possibly because some brands fit differently, and because they have no stretch. :P I'll take whatever I can get! Hang in there, it's coming!

You have a really high starting weight (as did I when I had my AGB). It's hard to understand why high losses don't result in size changes. Part of it is math. Think of it not so much as pounds lost, but percentage of excess weight lost. When you weigh 400# and you lose 40#, you've lost 10% of your weight. When you weight 200# and you lose 40#, you've lost 20%. Another part of it is your body, and from where you're losing the fat. I dropped top sizes long before I dropped bottom sizes. Another prt of it is the flab factor, and the nature of your clothes. I'm currenlty down 4 top sizes and 5 bottom sizes from my highest weight. I can still wear the underwear I wore on the day I had surgery, and they aren't loose, but the pants I wore I can fit two of me in.

I was banded at about 380 - 385 on 3/1/2006. I could wear a tight 30/32, but even some 30/32 were starting to not fit me. It was easily 50+ lbs before I lost my first size. A lot of anything you lose in youir first month is Fluid.

At my lowest pre-op weight I was about 225 (when I got pregnant). At 225 I was a 14/16 top and comfortable 18 bottoms, some 16s. That was two years post-op, but I sat at 250 for seriously about 8 mos - 12 mos. Major stall.

Given your slightly higher starting weight than mine, and my best recollection of starting to notice a difference in clothes about 50 lbs in, I'd guess you're right at the brink of really seeing a difference.

I noticed that for me, after that initial milestone of the first size, it seemed that a size drop happened about every 30 lbs, and then around every 20 lbs once I had dropped 2 or 3 sizes.

For me it seemed to change pretty quickly. I am 5' 9" and started at 300. I am down 82 pounds in 6 months. I was wearing a 26/28 from plus sized stores such as Lane Bryant, Avenue, and Catherines. Now 14/16 from those stores are at times too big. But in a regular store...a 16 can be snug. As for a bra, I have gone from a 48 DD to a 40 DDD. And my feet!!!! From a 12 to an 11!!!

Because I was frankly asking a LOT of a piece of fabric and some thread, I am just now seeing a couple of things that are too big. I was packing today for a trip and had two tops that actually looked a bit clownish on me. I was THRILLED but not because they were my favorite shirts! (probably because they were the closest to actually fitting)

I am down 42 lbs started at 291 so for me I don't think I will need new clothes for at least 20 more lbs. I too am a little discouraged to not be in a smaller size but it sure does feel good to not have everything hurt when I sit down.

Keep up the good work, you will get there!!