Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 Weeks Prego Year Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I posted on here. But I noticed that since I have been prego (13 weeks 5 days now) that ALL of my bad old habits have creeped back in and I have gained so far a fluctuating 8-10 lbs depending on the day. And I want to nip this in the bud before I get out of control. I have decent restriction (if you will), I can eat about a cup sometimes slightly more with less dense foods, but I want to eat all day! like more then 6-8 times a day, not enough Water and more carbs too. I did get to goal 4 months before I was prego. I haven't been exercising either. There are a lot of "reasons" I can give as to why I am so far off the program (cravings, morning sickness, death in the family/depression, ragging hormones ect.), but the fact of the matter is I need to get a reality check on this before I get out of hand. I am excited to be prego, but also scared-of weight gain (at least excessive all be it this is my 3rd baby and the first two I gained 25-30lbs and I was already over weight with both of them) and scared of stretching out my sleeve...

You're not going to stretch out your sleeve. My recommendation is to start snacking on more complex carbs, and Protein based foods. You can not cut carbs in pregnancy. It is not possible because being in ketosis will cause fetal brain damage and can lead to defects, and pre-term labor/stillbirths. So, DO not cut carbs, but get on a good eating plan.

My instructions are to at 1700-1800 calories a day with 100gr of Protein, a minimum of 100-200gr of carbs (can be any form of carbs, but preferably complex carbs), and 100oz of water/clear fluids per day.

Depending on your early pregnancy weight (like around 6-8 weeks pregnancy weight), that will determine your caloric intake.

For me at 131lbs, they put me on the above requirements. I am projected to gain 30-35 pounds in the pregnancy, and at 24.5 weeks pregnant, I've the 18-19lb gain already. My surgeon and ob's are both elated with my gain and due to my low body fat percentage, they are not concerned with my weight gain.

Weight regain sucks. I hate it, but it's getting better for me mentally.

As for getting things under control, you're just going to have to tweak your intake. Pack veggies and ranch dip for a snack, or cheese and whole wheat crackers. Start choosing healthier options. Don't forget just because we have lost weight doesn't make us any less of a risk for gestational diabetes and gaining too much weight too fast in the pregnancy can contribute to that issue. I'm going through testing at this point for gestational diabetes and it's not because I've gained too much, but it's because Tatum is weighing 8-10oz heavier than she should at this point.

Good luck with the pregnancy, push fluids, take your Vitamins, and have your labs monitored carefully.

Thanks for your reply Tiff, I know it has been a long time since I have been on the board but for some reason I never get emails anymore notifying me of replies to threads I'm interested in. Must be my settings. Anyway, I hope you had a safe and joyful delivery, and I look forward to hearing about your weight loss journey after baby.

As for me I have 6 weeks left and have gained a total of 33 lbs. Most people comment around me that I still look thin, although i can tell that the weight is not just in my belly but my legs and thighs too. I am not surprised as that is usually where i gain weight first. My Iron is a little low too, but other then that so far so good. I get really nervous about losing the weight after baby and if I have over done myself and stretched out my sleeve. But I recently read a reply you wrote on how much you can eat now and it is about right on with me and i don't feel so bad lol! Still have the occasional anxiety over the fact of gaining and losing weight though.

Thanks ladies for your responses. I am three months and franking out cause I have gained 7-10 lbs, not good. Going to see the nutritionist tomorrow, but I know what she will say, walk more, eat more healthier Snacks, blah blah. How have you both been doing with the weight loss since the babies have come, I hope well. I am trying to keep the faith that I will get back down but I still have 6months to go.