Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who was your doctor?

Hey my fellow so cal sleevers!

Wanting to do some more research on which dr. To pick. I want to keep it kinda close to home. Im about and hour from OC so thats not too bad for me.

Would like to hear somevof you experiences.

Thanks everybody :)

I went to the NEW Program in Newport Beach with Dr. Quebbemann. Self pay. 18K

Would I use them again, yes.

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Would so go there but my insurance doesn't cover them. I just want to talk to someone who had surgery with a doctor that i can pick from.

Still have lots of time to research.

Thanks again.

Hi;

If you don't mind me asking...which insurance do you have? Kaiser?

Hey. I have health net. It an *** as well. They cover the under certain qualifications.

https://www.healthnet.com/static/general/unprotected/pdfs/national/policies/Bariatric_Surgery_Jan_11.pdf

See if that works. Its says something about anti-inflammatories. I do take some for my carpal tunnel.

I pray everyday that these six months are not a waste of time. I always feel my pcp won't follow through. Just some worries I have.

Thanks for being here. :)

Have you discussed with your primary doctor? Are you at more than a 35 BMI currently? If yes, then you only have to qualify for one of the other "morbesity" conditions. Hang in there. I am rooting for good news.

Six months are never a waste of time, use them.

Yes I have. My BMI is over 41 and I have had high blood pressure for 5 years now. I'm 5'6" and 266

I have already seen a dietician and we have already started my new meals plans.

I started in may so I'm hoping that (fingers crossed) I can have a date in december.

I was going to gp with the lap band first but read all the struggles. Thank God for these 6 months that o was able to fumble across the sleeve. So happy that I have.

Thanks again. Will keep you posted on progress.

Hello there - I know it's probably irrelevant since you don't have Kaiser, but I had my surgery in Harbor City by Dr. Zane. So glad you found out about the sleeve before having the band. Same thing happened for me. Many people think a required 6 month diet is silly, but I had to do it too, and I am very thankful I had all that time to prepare, so consider yourself lucky. You have the rest of your life to live with the sleeve, so you really need to be ready. Although now, at over 1 year out, I forget I even had it. Eating is just normal now and I guess I'm used to it. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks so much mb20mom! So glad to have all of you here.I want to congratulate both of you on you amazing weight loss. I can only try to imagine how it feels. There are so many things I look forward to.

With all of this positivity ahead of me I still can't seem to find the strength to loose any weight. Just need some real hardcore motivation before surgery.just want my pre-op diet already.

Off topic:

I have a question for both of you, if you don't mind, what was you relationship with food pre-op verses now?

I am trying to do some soul searching to analyze my battle with food.

Thanks again.

[quote name='natashad' timestamp='1311205633' post='182281'I have a question for both of you, if you don't mind, what was you relationship with food pre-op verses now?

I am trying to do some soul searching to analyze my battle with food.

Thanks again.

Before the surgery I thought about food all the time, from the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning. I ate only for taste and satisfaction. Now I eat for fuel and nutrition but I can still indulge and enjoy it. I still enjoy food but it's somehow just lost it's importance. Now I think about cute clothes instead. Hard to explain, but for once I feel like this might be how normal folks live.

Hi Vero;

Before VSG: food was a reward for good behavior, a solice for sad times, a filler when I was bored, my friend when I was lonely and so on. I lived my life around food. my meals were planned prior to any other functions. Would drive all over SoCal in search of food if it was a restaraunt I enjoyed.. I would eat for what felt like a never satisfied stomach or mind. Heard the "feed me" voice all the time.

Yeah, I could diet for a while and lose weight (about 25 lbs in 3 months) but then...I always went back to eating and gained it all back.

Post op: First several months until I hit goal, my life still revolved around food. But change was I was in control. I still planned to the smallest detail but it was more about getting in Protein and Water to meat goals. No longer heard scream of "feed me" all the time. These months were difficult at times because of different eating patterns and learning new better habits. My tastebuds were different those months in Ketosis. Everything was too sweet, too thick, heavy in my stomach. Food repulsed me at times. My relationship with food changed.

Now at goal: I still get "head hungry" and now am atune to dips in blood sugar when I forget to eat. Eating is now according to a clock. "Oh - it is 1PM, I should eat lunch." Yeah, I still enjoy food, the taste of food but am very limited on volume. I listen to my full signal, take one more bite of the tastiest thing on my plate...because it is good and then push away the plate, fully satisfied. samples of food are good enough. Yes, I still battle eating carbs. Love potatoes in almost any format. But I eat these for emotional needs. Now eating is a mind game. Yes, I still care about food, tastes and textures. Today I am almost "normal" minus the amount I can eat. I have not yet had a soft drink nor eaten at In N Out burger since last late August. Why open a door when I know I should not eat these? Plus I am scared that I will become addicted to consuming these foods again.

VSG is only a restrictive surgery. You can drink all your calories and never lose weight. It takes work to lose weight with VSG. Results are incredible, but I worked to hit goal.

Hope this helps you!

Wow! That's my relationship with food right now. I know that I have to face the music and " break" up with some of my best food friends. I'm very ok with that. In fact, I can't wait, but in the meantime that beast within has all of the control.

Luckily, I have never been a fast fooder or a junk food junkie. I LOVE to cook and feed others large quantities. High quality foods are my specialty. Making things from scratch is my fun.

Growing up we always had home cooked meals so I'm happy I don't love fast food.

I look forward to the day that I'm stuffed after a 1/4 cup of food. What a day that will be.

Thank you both so so much. I appreciate all of your words of wisdom.

I look forward to continue to learn from you.

Fast food was my habit because I travel often...and my source of food on the road. I love to cook too, still do. Yes, I have teared up in front of a buffet, missing that never ending plate...emotionally of course.

We are all in the road together. Glad i could help you in your search.

I had surgery with Dr. Naim @ Advance Bariatric. His bedside manner is not great, but he's a great surgeon. His PA is very good to work with, so I don't mind his lack of "warm, fuzzy" skills. I have had no complications or complaints.

I had surgery with Dr. Naim @ Advance Bariatric. His bedside manner is not great, but he's a great surgeon. His PA is very good to work with, so I don't mind his lack of "warm, fuzzy" skills. I have had no complications or complaints.

Thanks for that info. Good to know. I will be looking him up. :)