Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, I'm really confused now. Can anyone explain about DSers and GVS (I'm assuming the GVS is the Gastric vertical sleeve) but have no idea what the DS is. Nor do I know about the bougie and the different sizes. Please helpunsure.gif

DS is Duodenal Switch, the sleeve is the first part of the DS process which is usually a two part surgery. If you don't lose enough weight wih the sleeve, you can convert ot the DS. http://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/duodenal-switch/

A Bougie is a weighted tube that is put down your throat and into your stomach where it acts as a guide to help the Doc to keep the staple line where they want it to be. It can be used to staple a certain size of stomach (lower numbers are smaller than larger numbers) I have a 36French, but some Doctors stable close to the Bougie and others staple loose, so the number is not always what it seems.

http://mozmonq.posterous.com/vsg-qas-what-is-a-bougie

yes, the doc told me that if i eat 5 times per day the stomach ask 5 meals. So "stop eating5 times and you will be ok very soon"

I listen that and it worked. I now eat 3 meals and sometimes some fruits between them witch i am not allowed lol :)

Anyway it is working... I already lost 1-3 kg and I am happy because I get again in my old jeans :P

PS: I killed hungry with Protein. I also take D and B12 because I had the levels down.

Good luck to you all

Just looking for comparison

After eating, when are you hungry again? I'm talking belly growling, feeling like you need to eat something, not just the "I want to eat b/c I'm bored"

I'm finding I eat about 250cal for Breakfast, then 2 hours later my belly is growling. I try to make it wait another hour and then eat about 100 calories. About 2 hours later I'll eat lunch which is about 300 calories. About 2 hours again, I'm hungry. It's now about 3:30 and I have to wait until 4-ish for dinner. I eat another 300-ish calories and then at 7, I'm hungry again. I'll have a snacking throughout 7-10p of about 200 calories. I then walk a mile and burn about 300 calories. I might or might not eat a few slices of cucumbers or a slice of cheese right before bed.

I'm just wondering if anybody else finds themselves hungry frequently. It's nothing like the ravenous hunger I had before surgery, but it's a gnawing that feels like it could turn ugly. :rolleyes:

How are you shedding 300 calories by only walking a mile? I have to run a mile and walk uphill at least another half mile to shed 300 calories.

Maybe she weighs more than you do!!

People that weigh more can burn a lot more calories than others by weighing less. I weigh 190 lbs (wow, did I just type that :) )!! And would not burn nearly as many calories in a mile walk as someone that weighs 250lbs. It sucks that I have to work twice as hard to burn as many calories, but it is true.

Hope this helps.!!

Kelly

How are you shedding 300 calories by only walking a mile? I have to run a mile and walk uphill at least another half mile to shed 300 calories.

Heatherr, As I don't know what you weigh, I don't know how much you're burning when walking. I walk 3.2mph on my treadmill w/ an incline. I found a calories burned per exercise calculator on the net that you put in your current weight, what you're doing and how long and it tells you how much you've burned. That's how I determined walking at that speed burns that many calories. I actually count it as less than it said, just for good measure. :)

The one thing my surgeon told me was to make sure that I am getting a lot of Protein. And as long as I am doing this I do fine with the hunger issue. Protein takes longer to digest, so leaves you feeling fuller longer. I also have found that sometimes when my stomach starts growling that I am also thirsty. So now I try to make sure that I am drinking as much Fluid as I can get during the day. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

I go through this all the time geez. I'm really concerned. Before surgery I was not hungry all the time. I find myself in the middle of the night raiding my fridge. WHAT TO DO?

Just looking for comparison

After eating, when are you hungry again? I'm talking belly growling, feeling like you need to eat something, not just the "I want to eat b/c I'm bored"

I'm finding I eat about 250cal for Breakfast, then 2 hours later my belly is growling. I try to make it wait another hour and then eat about 100 calories. About 2 hours later I'll eat lunch which is about 300 calories. About 2 hours again, I'm hungry. It's now about 3:30 and I have to wait until 4-ish for dinner. I eat another 300-ish calories and then at 7, I'm hungry again. I'll have a snacking throughout 7-10p of about 200 calories. I then walk a mile and burn about 300 calories. I might or might not eat a few slices of cucumbers or a slice of cheese right before bed.

I'm just wondering if anybody else finds themselves hungry frequently. It's nothing like the ravenous hunger I had before surgery, but it's a gnawing that feels like it could turn ugly. :rolleyes:

Are you using birth control? I'm using Depo which is meant to make you get more hungry so I'm going to change what I use in a couple of months when my last course wears out. The pill can also make you hungry so that's another one to watch for.

I go through this all the time geez. I'm really concerned. Before surgery I was not hungry all the time. I find myself in the middle of the night raiding my fridge. WHAT TO DO?

I've just become a nibbler...I have to face it, mealtime does not really exist for me any longer like it used to. I fix dinner for my family (my husband had the surgery, too, so i'm basically cooking for 2 young boys), we eat a few bites, watch the kids eat, then clean off the table. About 2 hours later we have a snack. I have to get used to the idea that I eat 6x a day now, not 3 big meals that keep me full for hours. Kinda sad to me, but it's a fair trade. :)

Hi Meggie, yes your understanding of GPS is correct. But this post from Dr Watkins on grehlin is interesting http://www.verticals...on/page__st__60 Below is an extract from his post :

"Ghrelin is reduced by pressure on the gastric wall. You do not have to remove stomach to reduce ghrelin. Ghrelin is a feedback hormone meaning when the gastric wall is stretched, ghrelin levels are reduced. The reason ghrelin levels are lower in sleeve gastrectomy patients is due to the smaller size stomach, not from removing stomach tissue. The sleeve that remains still produces ghrelin and levels are reduced by pressure. "

So I believe, from what I've read, that levels of grehlin increase for all of us, just more slowly for VSG than GPS.

I finally got to my surgeon about this one and he disagrees. The fundus is removed and that is the location of the ghrelin production.