Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts on Surgery Today

So here I sit at a quarter till 5am with not a darn thing to do because I am too excited to sleep... I keep waking up every hour or so... finally I just decided to give up. My surgery is at 10:30am, have to be at the hospital by 8:30am. I'm mostly packed (just a couple odds and ends to toss into the bag yet, and then pack up the CPAP for travel,) and am as prepared as I think I can be. I'm not even feeling nervous... I just can't sleep. How stupid is that? Insomnia the night before surgery. Oy. This is my brain, let me tell you.

I guess I'm basically writing for lack of anything better to do. Bad night to get insomnia. I already took some melatonin and don't want to take any more.

I got a really touching e-mail from my Dad saying he was with me in spirit and that he loved me. My Dad is not given to displays of affection like this, even in e-mail, so this was a big surprise for me and made me tear up a little. My Mom sent me a little care package to take to the hospital (chapstick, a mini-lotion, a bar of cinnamon-scented soap) and a card that said how proud of me she is for being brave enough to take this big a step. I am so lucky to have supportive parents. It's amazing how much their approval still means to me.

The cat is playing with his toy bird that chirps and driving me nuts. Also, this big 1-liter bottle of Water is calling my name and I can't have anything by mouth until tomorrow morning after my leak test.

It's going to be a long day, but hopefully a good one.

Wish me luck!

I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery. See you on the other side!

I'm saying a prayer for you Bryn! Good Luck (although I'm sure you won't need it!). See you (well talk to you) on the other side!!

My surgery is at 11, and I'm so excited!! Somehow I managed to sleep all night, which is odd because I usually take a sleep aid every night but not last night!

Best wishes to you!

Mythreechildren and Bryn, your at the hospital by now and probably the nerves have started, but you'll be just fine. . . in a few hours you'll be out and doing ok. . pretty sore, but you'll be ok. . . JUST remember walk! walk, walk, walk, or the gas will kill you and sip sip sip once your allowed ok. . your going to find this really weird, but be patient and just do what your doctor says for you to do. . . and like the rest of us, soon you'll be here giving advice to nervous newbies too. . . good luck and God bless. . . it's a great journey!

Thinking of you and knowing you are doing great Lil Sister. Can't wait to hear how all is going for you. Let me know you are ok as I know you will be. I am so excited for you!!!!!

You bring tears to my eyes with your family's loving support. I am just one of the crowd cheering you on. Prayers for a speedy recovery and let me be the first to say...Welcome to the losers bench.

YAY!! I am so happy for you. I know you will do just great!! I will definatley save a spot for you on the loser's bench right next to me!!

Good luck!

Kelly ;)

Good luck today to those having surgery!! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Bryn,

Sending lots of love, hugs and prayer your way. Can't wait to talk to you again once you've been sleeved. Let me know every single detail. Leave nothing out! I'm so excited for you.

Tons of good thoughts coming your way RIGHT NOW! Also mentioning both of you in my prayers at this very minute!!! I know things will go well for you. As has been said above, as soon as you're allowed, WALK, WALK, WALK. It helps that gas to reabsorp, and it helps to get the gas in the bowel moving, so WALK, WALK, WALK! And as soon as liquids are allowed, start sipping that Water. I am in a constant battle to get all my Water in every day. So start early and keep at it!

Can't wait to see you both on the loosers bench! OH Happy Day!

KathyD49

Hope everything went well an that you will have a speedy recovery!

I'm sleeved! YAY OMG!

I'm still in the hospital, probably until this time or so tomorrow while they make sure I can get all my fluids in and am having normal bowel function.

So far I have walked 4 laps of the surgical floor. I had some beef broth and red sf Jello for lunch and couldn't finish either of them... just didn't want to. OMFG that is AMAZING to me.

I am sipping 2oz every 15 mins. No difficulty and very little pain. I can honestly say I have no regrets at this stage. My drain doesn't even hurt.

My love to you all, especially my fellow firecrackers!

Glad to hear that you're doing well. Keep up the healing, and you'll be on your way!!! Good thoughts to you and your family.

JJ

I'm sleeved! YAY OMG!

I'm still in the hospital, probably until this time or so tomorrow while they make sure I can get all my fluids in and am having normal bowel function.

So far I have walked 4 laps of the surgical floor. I had some beef broth and red sf Jello for lunch and couldn't finish either of them... just didn't want to. OMFG that is AMAZING to me.

I am sipping 2oz every 15 mins. No difficulty and very little pain. I can honestly say I have no regrets at this stage. My drain doesn't even hurt.

My love to you all, especially my fellow firecrackers!