Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just spent 6 days in the hospital for low potassium. When I was released I was able to drink all of my required Water. Protein Shakes have been difficult for me. When I was released I was able to get 4oz in over an hour 3 times a day. Today I feel horrible. My legs are cramping again (sign of low potassium) and I'm dizzy and weak when I stand up. TMI I also started today, so I'm sure that isn't helping. I'm still able to meet my water goals, but over the past 3 days I doubt I've gotten in more than 3 oz of Protein shakes in a day. I tried greek yogurt last night and was barely able to get a teaspoon in. I really feel like this is NOT good for my body. BTW My surgery was June 16th. I'm supposed to see my doc in the morning. I was sent home with a PICC Line in case I had problems ( I have no more IV sites left) and I'm so afraid I'm going to have to go back into the hospital. I must say, this is not my idea of how I thought my recovery would go. :( Any suggestions are welcome.

4oz 3 times a day isn't enough that's only 12oz a day and they want you to try and get in 64. You may want to try chicken broth since it has electrolytes in it you can mix in a scoop of unjury's chicken flavor the warm liquid felt good in my newly sleeved tummy. Also try drinking some diluted apple juice get the light sugar free and dilute it to 50% strength with Water you can even use Walmart's crystal light in apple flavor. Also look into Gatoraide's G2 their diet blend.

try some chicken broth, since it's warm it might help relax your sleeve? I added cooked chicken to mine and the put it in the blender....still easy to sip but extra calories/nutrients/protein. i noticed when i was in the hospital the broth there (which tasted WAY better than my pre-op diet boxes of chix broth!) had some pulverized chicken AND it had fat blobs floating on the surface...maybe you could add a teaspoon or so of butter or cream to add some calories? since you can get in so little i'd make sure what i was able to get in was as helpful as possible. heck at this point if i were you i'd try hagen daz ice cream with some Protein powder added to it. your body needs some fuel.

I just spent 6 days in the hospital for low potassium. When I was released I was able to drink all of my required Water. Protein shakes have been difficult for me. When I was released I was able to get 4oz in over an hour 3 times a day. Today I feel horrible. My legs are cramping again (sign of low potassium) and I'm dizzy and weak when I stand up. TMI I also started today, so I'm sure that isn't helping. I'm still able to meet my Water goals, but over the past 3 days I doubt I've gotten in more than 3 oz of Protein Shakes in a day. I tried greek yogurt last night and was barely able to get a teaspoon in. I really feel like this is NOT good for my body. BTW My surgery was June 16th. I'm supposed to see my doc in the morning. I was sent home with a PICC Line in case I had problems ( I have no more IV sites left) and I'm so afraid I'm going to have to go back into the hospital. I must say, this is not my idea of how I thought my recovery would go. :( Any suggestions are welcome.

Poor thing I hope you feel better soon! I will send some prayers your way :)

I'm drinking some diluted apple juice and starting to feel a bit human. Hubby has gone to the store to get gatorade. I see my doctor in the morning.

for potassium, try making chicken broth with lite salt (since it has potassium chloride as well as sodium chloride) or drink the broth from a can of "healthy request" Soup, also made with potassium choloride.

Good luck!

Have you looked at the huge list of Protein shake recipes that Tiffykins posted in May of 2010? It must have at least 300 Protein Shake recipes on the list. I too was having problems getting my Protein in, and just plain Protein Powder and Water wasn't something I could tolerate. The web address for her list if:

www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/5906-a-huge-list-of-protein-drink-recipes/

Take a look at her list, and see if there are some that sound good to you. I use a lot of the ones with bananas in them for adding potassium to my diet. I too have problems with leg cramps from low potassium. Hope this helps. You are in my prayers!!!!

KathyD 49

Thanks KathyD49

I found that list today. I've decided to attempt to get some Grape Isopure and work on that.

Have you looked at the huge list of Protein shake recipes that Tiffykins posted in May of 2010? It must have at least 300 Protein Shake recipes on the list. I too was having problems getting my Protein in, and just plain Protein Powder and Water wasn't something I could tolerate. The web address for her list if:

www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/5906-a-huge-list-of-protein-drink-recipes/

Take a look at her list, and see if there are some that sound good to you. I use a lot of the ones with bananas in them for adding potassium to my diet. I too have problems with leg cramps from low potassium. Hope this helps. You are in my prayers!!!!

KathyD 49

I am sorry you are going through so much. In the beginning it's hard to figure out what will work for you and you have the added pressure of complications.:(

Try some greek yogurt and thin it out with apple juice, see if that will go down. Also try some chicken broth and mix it with plain greek yogurt, that will add extra Protein. I loved potato Soup in the blender with some chicken broth and greek yogurt.

Just keep trying things to see what will work for you. Hang in there and keep us posted.

I hope you are doing better. How about hot chamomile tea with a splash of milk and honey for a little more Protein and a bit of calories. Chamomile is known to be soothing to the stomach.

I ordered a sample package of nectar Protein Drinks from mybariatricpantry.com and it is more like a juice drink than a shake...not thick at all. For $13.95 they will send you 10 different flavors...it has 27 grams of Protein, 0 carbs and 0 fat. It is the best Protein Drink that I have tried so far. I sure hope you feel better soon!

We all wish you the best and hope you get to feeling better and taking in calories soon.

BTW: I don't know if you actually like Gatorade or not but I think it's nasty tasting, I did however use Pedialite, I know it's for kids but the taste is tolerable and it did the trick.

There are also pedialyte popsicles that might help. I know I found popsicles much easier to eat in my early days. When will you be clear for mushies? You might benefit from eating a little yogurt or mushed up cottage cheese. It packs more of a caloric punch. Also, drink a glass of milk - anything you can think of to get some calories and Protein in.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon--

I'm drinking some diluted apple juice and starting to feel a bit human. Hubby has gone to the store to get gatorade. I see my doctor in the morning.

Powerade makes a "Powerade Zero" that has no sugar, no carbs, no calories but is full of electrolytes! And it's delicious! :)