Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to eat at McDonald's after the sleeve....

Starygirl, thanks for the post, it was a good resource. . . i went to McD's one morning thinking i would "give it a try" (this was last week) I'm out now almost 2 years (I've not had a ordered hamburger in almost 2 years!) . . i ordered a Breakfast mcmuffin with sausage and egg. . . took a bit, chewed, swallowed, and puked so violently i thought for sure my tummy came out with that . . . i think quite honestly, I would rather be starving then eat McD's ever again. . . but thanks for the info!

I do go to McDonalds occasionally and these are my options:

1 chicken wrap (I eat half of it)

or

Chesebuerger plain (I remove one slice of bread and eat about 3/4 of the rest.

or

2 chicken nuggets (my kid eats the other 4)

I do drink a bit of diet coke and enjoy it. I had no problems with it but I drink about 50mls only. I may eat 3 fries or so.

I have tried the salad and the muffim (only half of the top) too.

So, yeah sometimes you will eat at McDonald's or whatever equilalent of McD's that you prefer... What to order?? OMG the choices!!! For me I have 3 standby choices...

1. 6 piece nugget meal ... with Coke Zero... i eat 3 nuggets and exactly 6 fries... the rest of the nuggets become another meal and the rest of the fries go to my neighbor's pregnant dog, cuz let's face it, reheated fries are so very nasty and not worth the calories... and the dog, well she really appreciates my dieting efforts wink.gif... And YES i drink Coke Zero.. yes it is carbonated... no I haven't died from it yet.... i sip it slowly and burp when i need to :) very easy.... oh, and if i'm feeling virtuous, i will peel my nuggets halfway...
  2. Fillet o'fish... or whatever it is called.... ask for a fork when you order (and when they look at you funny, like you are insane, just smile nicely).... pull the fish piece off of the bun, and chuck it, or if you have a pregnant dog or any malnurished creature living near your home, save it....... eat the fish with the fork... and again 6 fries...... If the sandwich comes with cheese, eat it, cuz even the processed crap has 3 grams of Protein....
  3. Snack wraps...... lovely creation... grilled chicken or beef are the best.. here we only have crispy chicken ones and beef patty ones, and they come wrapped with a slice of bacon.... i eat half of the tortilla or less, and all of the meat.... no fries with this bugger...

What do you eat out??

I always get a fork for the fish filet the few times I've been to McDonalds & I discard the bread - approximately 3 french fries and water!! The only other fast food I've had has been Wendy's chili and Taco Bell. You're right I too haven't died from having a carbonated drink from time to time....just gotta have Ginger Ale once in a blue moon :-)

Stop eating at McDonalds. That food is very unhealthy. That is the way I got from a normal person into an obese and have surgery!

Stick to healthy food and you will see the difference later.

I'm very encouraged to hear that fast food cravings tend to subside after surgery. Unfortunately I am on the road a lot for work and fast food tends to be sometimes my only option. I love grilled chicken so I really hope post-op that my sleeve likes chicken (once I get back on solid foods of course).

Stop eating at McDonalds. That food is very unhealthy. That is the way I got from a normal person into an obese and have surgery!

I beg to differ. I'd say that emotion eating and addiction play the biggest part in weight gain. I know several people who eat only healthy foods but way too much of them. It is okay to enjoy ALL foods in moderation. If fastfood is a trigger for you (mine is sodas) then stay away from it. Make the best choices you can and understand that treats, like fastfood, are just that. They are not everyday food.

I find this thread very interesting, especially for all those who are judgmental about getting the occasional fast food meal. I did not get this surgery so that I could be on a diet for the rest of my life. And the reality is, I have to small children who love playing at Mcdonald's, especially in the winter because where I live, it sometimes gets to be -35 degrees celcius! I usually have a McMini with no mayo, or a regular hamburger. I will eat maybe 3 or 4 french fries and a sip or 2 of my husband's pop (and we always get our kids apples and apple juice, no pop if anyone has anything to say about that). We might go there 2 or 3 times a month. I have still lost over 60 lbs and feel great. Thanks for posting this, as this is the reality of our world, you just have to make it work for you!!

Y'all don't even wanna know what I eat in maintenance HA, and I'm able to maintain my weight loss without suffering mentally or physically from eating out. For all of the judgmental, finger-wagging replies, I am living proof that eating "off plan" and NOT dieting works wonderfully in maintenance. There is a vast difference in eating junk food daily, or over-indulging in hot fudge sundaes or choosing to have a grilled chicken breast wrap from McDonalds.

I eat out on average 3-4 days a week. And, those on the forum who are on my Facebook can all confirm that information.

I make the best choice 85% of the time, the other 15% I have half of a chili cheese coney with 6-8 cheesy tots from Sonic, or a fully loaded double cheeseburger minus the bun with EXTRA big mac sauce and pickles.

Today, I'm going to Moe's for $6 burrito Monday. I'll skip the rice, get double pinto Beans, chicken, salsa, sour cream and guacamole. I might 3-4 bites of the tortilla, or have a few of the chips with salsa.

By no means am I encouraging anyone to eat the bad stuff, but for me, my goals, my mental healthy, I can not and will not diet nor look at foods as BAD. There are foods that are nutrient dense, and others that are nutrient lacking. I choose the first option the majority of the time. This gives me the balance that I need to be successful not only at keeping my weight off, but to keep my mind healthy as well. I deprivation dieted myself up to 270lbs, and like I've said for over a year now, mashed potatoes and Pasta didn't make me fat. Eating 2-3 cups of those foods along with the main meat course, puls a fried appetizer, 2-3 glasses of sweet tea, and a dessert made me fat.

Once in a while won't hurt anyone. I never eat Mc Donald's neither before nor after surgery (because I don't like it) or any fast food in general. I was still obese.

I like this post.

I'm only 3 weeks sleeved, so still on mushies. LOL -- BUT this weekend I used my "stick blender" on everything. i tried it with tuna salad, chicken salad, etc. As I am playing around with different things, I wondered -- lol.... Okay... DIDN'T DO IT... but was wondering.....

I wonder if I took a small burger, peeled off the bun, and frappe'd that sucker to baby food -- would it still taste like a burger? Hmm? lol.

It is my first weekend since liquids so I was going a bit wild. lol.

Since the OP asked what people are eating at McD's. and not for wrist slaps for eating fast food...

(Come on guys, we all know McDonald's isn't the bastion of good health, but food from just about anywhere can be healthy enough if you think it through... because we have WLS doesn't mean we never ever eat something questionable again. And everything on their menu isn't horrible... an Egg McMuffin is one of the healthier to-go breakfasts you're going to find at a drive thru place)

If I eat at McD's I get a McChicken, and eat it without the bun. I don't peel it. The crispiness helps it go down easier (band thing). I eat about 1/4 - 1/2 of it.

I've gotten the yogurt parfait before, but I don't care for most of the fruit in it so I tend to eat around the fruit.

I've gotten the ranch grilled chicken snack wrap, minus the tortilla. I thought it was nasty and only ate 2 bites.

Once or twice I've gotten a salad. They used to have a Cobb salad that was pretty good.

I should add, damn you McDonald's for introducing the caramal frappe!! Damn you!!!

(I've eated at McDonald's maybe 6 times since having my WLS. I don't really care for fast food, but if I'm going to eat it, McD's just isn't my first choice. I've never been motivated by the cheap price of a meal, eating for $1 just isn't a plus to me).

I wonder if I took a small burger, peeled off the bun, and frappe'd that sucker to baby food -- would it still taste like a burger? Hmm? lol.

WHen I was still on mushies with my AGB I thought the same thing and tried it with a bol from Chipotle. I figured -- if I chew that chicken, cheese and Beans it all gets sort of mushed up, and still tastes good, so this should taste the same, right?

NO

It was nasty. Horrible, in fact. The texture was miserable, and the flavor was -- well let's just say I have no idea how individual things that taste good can combine into something that tastes so bad??

Overall i'm happy with the positive replies on here... the last thing we need is judgmental people who are in denial on here... My viewpoint in life is that totally stopping something 100% that you are addicted to doesn't always work... cuz when you fall of the wagon, you fall hard... I think that moderation is the key to all addictions, whether its food, alcohol, etc.... And thanks to our sleeve we have the key to moderation.... Pair that with good to moderately good food choices and we are set... And like i said, and others have said, it's not the McDonald's chicken wrap that made you fat, its the Big Mac, the chicken sandwich, fries, coke and hot fudge sundae that did it.. or the huge bowls of Pasta.... or whatever your addiction was...

Peace! and a special shout out to all of the people who took this post as what it was meant to be, a way to share info on what we are eating, and some tips......... thanks Southernsleever, Supersweetums, and as always, Tiffykins!!!