Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Patient died in Mexico, who was the doctor????

Ok just found out for sure a surgeon recently lost a patient in Mexico, but does anyone know who the surgeon is? I check it out and was surprised to learn there has been more deaths in the US than in Mexico. I'm still all for Mexico so I guess that's good to know but still so scary and sad. I guess the surgeon nicked an artery and the patient died on the table. Omg tragic !

omg! now im terrified. :(

Dr. Kelly and some claim it was a blood clot. Some claim it was a nicked artery.

Death happens. It is surgery. MAJOR SURGERY. Where you have the surgery (Mexico, US, Canada etc) doesn't change this. A single death wouldn't change my decision if I had researched the doctor well enough.

Deaths can happen with any surgery. Being obese causes the risks to go up. In general though, the death rate with the sleeve is very low. Don't let fear stop your dreams. The sleeve has been the best gift I could have ever given myself.

surprised to learn there has been more deaths in the US than in Mexico.

Remember we have alot more regulation in the US and ways of seeing how many deaths have happened with certain procedures - I don't believe there is that oversight in Mexico and many other countries. I don't know if I can believe your statement - maybe there are more REPORTED deaths in the US but how many happen in Mexico that are not documented by any authority? We only hear by rumor.

In all reality you risk death more just by getting in your car, on an airplane for from the drug cartel in Mexico than you do from surgery. Deaths from surgery happen, just because it was Mexico does not mean it was a less than stellar operation. So many factors come into play with death from surgery, individual risks, the possibility of infection, doctor error, medication errors. I really think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. If you were to look at cold hard numbers of deaths and complications in the US vs Mexico I think you would find more problems in US hospitals. Keep in mind I had my surgery in the US.

Does anyone have a link to a news story about this? Every search I do sends me to other message boards, but no one seems to have a link.

I found an informative link on bariatric surgery from a Dr. Wesley Clark in San Diego CA. It discusses risks and issues associated with WLS and how deaths are calculated as well as benefits to surgery and reasons people (both patient and surgeon alike) undertake the surgery. I thought it was interesting. Just another piece of info. Hope others find it interesting too!

http://obesitysurger...litygwclark.htm

Good post ladies, thanks for the encouraging words. It's true if we let "fear of death" rule our world we wouldn't leave the house.

God Bless!

Deaths can happen with any surgery. Being obese causes the risks to go up. In general though, the death rate with the sleeve is very low. Don't let fear stop your dreams. The sleeve has been the best gift I could have ever given myself.

Ok just found out for sure a surgeon recently lost a patient in Mexico, but does anyone know who the surgeon is? I check it out and was surprised to learn there has been more deaths in the US than in Mexico. I'm still all for Mexico so I guess that's good to know but still so scary and sad. I guess the surgeon nicked an artery and the patient died on the table. Omg tragic !

Also remember there are probably ( I have no way of really knowing) many, many more surgeons in the US as compared to the big Mexico surgery hotspots and so of course there would be more deaths reported. I'm not saying one place or another is better ( I mean, I had my surgery in Mexicosmile.gif), I'm just saying it seems kinda lopsided against the States to say there are more deaths here when that may be due to the huge number of surgeries performed here.

Anyway, don't be scared. Deaths are truly very rare. Good lucksmile.gif

I just had surgery on Thursday with Dr. Kelly... in another thread (before I went) it was discussed that the unfortunate death was due to an embolism. There are risks beyond the surgeons control and though it is tragic and scary, it is a reminder that we make this decision cautiously and prayerfully.

im glad all went well with your surgery sue!

I just had surgery on Thursday with Dr. Kelly... in another thread (before I went) it was discussed that the unfortunate death was due to an embolism. There are risks beyond the surgeons control and though it is tragic and scary, it is a reminder that we make this decision cautiously and prayerfully.