Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long are you waiting for Surgery?

How long are you waiting to have surgery?

Now if this makes you feel better. I was on another forum & they have people from England on there. One lady said she is having the "Sleeve" done and was first told she was 13 months out. She just got a update and they added 10 months more on the wait list.

This is socialized medicine. It would kill me to have to weight so long to get things done.

It took a little over 8 months for me from the time I first met with my PCP until I was sleeved. My insurance only required 3 months at the time (they just changed back to 6 months), but I had to wait because I switched to *** & then a coworker was on maternity leave. I think for most people who are going through insurance, you are looking at 6 months to a year wait time.

yikes! My info seminar was on June 23rd 2011, I have gone through several appoinments and my Sugery is scheduled for Aug 8th 2011! :-) Hope that helps.

wow.. thats FAST!

good luck to you.

yikes! My info seminar was on June 23rd 2011, I have gone through several appoinments and my Sugery is scheduled for Aug 8th 2011! :-) Hope that helps.

My bariatric nurse said the wait time for a surgery date from the time your insurance approves you is 6 to 8 weeks. I started my six months supervisoed diet back in april, I should be finished in October, if I get approved in October I should have my surgery in December so that will be a total of eight months total.

you know, i never thought of that. i keep counting as if im going to be sleeved the following week or so after my 6month visit. :(

now im sad lol

My bariatric nurse said the wait time for a surgery date from the time your insurance approves you is 6 to 8 weeks. I started my six months supervisoed diet back in april, I should be finished in October, if I get approved in October I should have my surgery in December so that will be a total of eight months total.

It will be exactly 8 months after I started my journey that I will have my surgery. My first appointment was on January 13th and my Surgery date is August 8th.

From March to September for me, so about 7 months. Ah... the joys of 6MPSWL....

Well, I am self-pay so I don't have to jump through insurance hoops. My initial consultation is scheduled for next month since I am still saving up, but they said they usually schedule surgery only 1-2 weeks afterwards! They said they never schedule surgery over a month after the consultation so that all of your lab work, info, etc are current. I guess I am lucky in that I don't have to wait a really long time.

My initial surgeon consult was the beginning of April and I had surgery July 12. So, I guess that means about 3 months. My INS didn't have a SWLP so I got lucky.

Well, there's enough bureaucracy in our crazy health care system to rival that of anything socialized.

I went to my first weight loss seminar on January 4.

Wasn't able to schedule my first appointment with the surgeon until Feb. 22.

3-month supervised weight loss ended May 24.

Dr.'s office finally submitted my pre-auth packet June 21, got approval June 23

Dr.'s office finally gets around to scheduling a surgery date today.

Surgery scheduled for AUGUST 24!

So, just about a 9 month wait. And that was going the FAST route of the 3-months supervised weight loss. (I'm not a happy customer of my surgeon's office, but very happy I finally have a date!)

I think my total wait time will end up being about 8 weeks - luckily my insurance requirements were very minimal. Once insurance approved they could have scheduled me as early as this week but I chose mid-August based upon some other personal considerations.

5 month wait for me. 3 month preop diet and exercise and then insurance approval. It would have been faster if I had wanted the gastric bypass. Tricare only requires 1 Nut appt. instead of 3 or 4. They have other requirements but they are pretty quick to get done.

Khy

I was very lucky. I went to the Doctor first on July 5th and having surgery on July 26th. So 3 weeks for me. Athem in VA is wonderful.

I submitted my preliminary paperwork and had my seminar May 17th and I am scheduled to have surgery August 2nd. At times it seemed to drag, but now it seems like I am on fast forward!!!!