Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone have a drain placed immediately after surgery?

I had my final meeting with the surgeon today. My surgery date (removing lapband and revising to sleeve) on July 19th. My doctor said that there will be a drain tube in place and should be removed right before I am discharged. Has anyone had a drain tube immediately after surgery??? If you did was it to prevent the port incision site problems everyone is discussing????

Had my band since 10/2009 and my port flipped and band slipped. I opted to have it removed and revised to the sleeve instead of repairing the band.

weight.png

Well, I can answer that I had a drain placed immediately from surgery- but I was revised from the VBG to the sleeve not the lap band. Basically, the drain is used to help carry out excess drainage. They left the drain in me for a few days after I was discharged from the hospital. I was nervous about having it removed but it wasn't that bad actually- mostly just uncomfortable.

Not sure if that helps.

I had my final meeting with the surgeon today. My surgery date (removing lapband and revising to sleeve) on July 19th. My doctor said that there will be a drain tube in place and should be removed right before I am discharged. Has anyone had a drain tube immediately after surgery??? If you did was it to prevent the port incision site problems everyone is discussing????

Had my band since 10/2009 and my port flipped and band slipped. I opted to have it removed and revised to the sleeve instead of repairing the band.

weight.png

The drain isn't at the port site, it's in your stomach area. They want to check the drainage for bleeding or infection. The port site hematoma that was discussed sounded like a rather rare occurrance.

weight.png

Thanks guys,

It's getting down to the wire and I'm getting really nervous. 11 days to go. I was told that Potomac Hospital in Woodbridge VA has WIFI and private rooms!!!!! If I'm not completely out of it I will definitely be on the site with updates!!!!

weight.png

Well, I can answer that I had a drain placed immediately from surgery- but I was revised from the VBG to the sleeve not the lap band. Basically, the drain is used to help carry out excess drainage. They left the drain in me for a few days after I was discharged from the hospital. I was nervous about having it removed but it wasn't that bad actually- mostly just uncomfortable.

Not sure if that helps.

Hi!

I had a VBG 14 years ago and I am looking to have a VSG. How are you doing with the sleeve and how does it compare to the VBG?

Thanks!

I had a drain with my revision and even though I hated it, it is there to detect infection or signs of a leak. I had mine taken out before I left the hospital. It is mainly just an annoyance, but so worth it to have the sleeve!

How does the Sleeve compare to the VBG? Well..... most of my stomach was surgically removed is the difference. Did you have the mesh or silastic band? I'm doing fine so far, just be sure you find a surgeon with experience at doing VBG revisions.

Hi!

I had a VBG 14 years ago and I am looking to have a VSG. How are you doing with the sleeve and how does it compare to the VBG?

Thanks!

How does the Sleeve compare to the VBG? Well..... most of my stomach was surgically removed is the difference. Did you have the mesh or silastic band? I'm doing fine so far, just be sure you find a surgeon with experience at doing VBG revisions.

I think I am going to Dr. Gagner in Montreal.

Who did your surgery?

I had a mesh band. Do you know what the difference is and does it make it difference for the revision?

Thanks!

From when I researched surgeons, he was very highly regarded for his surgical skills. Do you live in Canada?

Whether you had the silastic band or mesh matters because most of the time they can remove the silastic band, whereas the mesh can no longer be removed as it is integrated as part of your tissue. Having mesh does make you a higher risk for leaks with this surgery, but if you use a capable surgeon your risks shouldn't be that much higher. My surgeon had that surgical ability, just HORRIBLE bedside manner. My surgeon was going to try and cut through the mesh, but decided against it. Instead he cut narrowly around it which I was completely fine with. Not many surgeons have the skill much less experience with working around the mesh. Many surgeons will not admit that and just try to convince you to get a Gastric Bypass. I was like not only NO, but H -E -L -L NO.....

Feel free to PM me if you want to know any other details.

I think I am going to Dr. Gagner in Montreal.

Who did your surgery?

I had a mesh band. Do you know what the difference is and does it make it difference for the revision?

Thanks!

I had the drain for 2 days in the hospital and it was removed right before I left. It was unpleasant, but it was nice having the extra assurance that there was no leak. I think the drain was probably the only thing that really cause me pain in the hospital, but it wasn't excrutiating.

Good luck!!

Hi. I had a drain in that area when I came out of recovery...I didn't really even know it was there until the nurse came in to check it. I'm not exactly sure what it's for besides to drain Fluid. They look at the "consistency" (for lack of a better word lol) of the Fluid and empty it every once in a while...every time they did it they just said, "looks good". The doc removed it before I left the hospital and actually after he took it out I felt some instant relief from what I thought was gas pain...he said that was fairly common. Not sure this is what you wanted to know but I had no complications with surgery.

Good luck!!

I had a drain placed during surgery and my doctor kept it there for 10 DAYS!!! He is ultra conservative! It was such a pain at home. Kept getting caught on things, made me feel not myself and sleeping was very difficult. The good thing was I would know if there was a leak BEFORE any symptoms appeared and I spent so much time 'hating' on the drain, I sailed through the clear liquid phase.

Good Luck.:rolleyes: