Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight will i lose (about) in 5 months?

hey everyone!

i was just curious... if all goes well, i will be getting sleeved in late november/ early december. my brothers wedding is on may 12th, 2012. with diet and exercise, whats the average weight loss with the sleeve? im aware that everyone is different which is why i say average lol.

postop'ers, how much weight did you lose (about) your first 5 months?

How much do you have to lose????

I had over 100 pounds to lose and around 5 months out I had dropped around 90-95lbs.

There is no average since the percentage of weight loss is the primary indicator for weight loss surgery patients and not actual pounds lost.

A patient that has 100+ pounds to lose might lose more number of pounds as someone with only 70 pounds to lose, but it's the percentage of weight loss is what is used to figured "average weight loss" for bariatric patients.

WOW!!!!!! thats GREAT! my goodness! congrats!!!!!!! my bmi is 46-50.

the reason i put that range is because i believe to be 5'1 and was always considered 5'1 but the bariatric unit i go to say im 5'3. so at 5'3, im 46.6 at 5'1, im 49.7.

im 22, 263lbs

How much do you have to lose????

I had over 100 pounds to lose and around 5 months out I had dropped around 90-95lbs.

There is no average since the percentage of weight loss is the primary indicator for weight loss surgery patients and not actual pounds lost.

A patient that has 100+ pounds to lose might lose more number of pounds as someone with only 70 pounds to lose, but it's the percentage of weight loss is what is used to figured "average weight loss" for bariatric patients.

WOW!!!!!! thats GREAT! my goodness! congrats!!!!!!! my bmi is 46-50.

the reason i put that range is because i believe to be 5'1 and was always considered 5'1 but the bariatric unit i go to say im 5'3. so at 5'3, im 46.6 at 5'1, im 49.7.

im 22, 263lbs

My surgery date weight was 263 as well, and at 5'2" a BMI of 49.

I low carbed it, and pushed Protein for the first 6 months until I got to goal. You'll have to find what works for you, and your body. Plus, I'm over a decade older than you. Follow your surgeon's directions.

The "average" of percentage of weight loss in 12 months with the sleeve is only reported to show about 65% from my recollection, but you can read in the "Success Story" section of the forum that many, many, many of us have lost 100% of our excess weight in the first 6-9 months post-op.

Best wishes ! ! !

wow!! thats just so great! i cant imagine losing that much weight. my brother & family would think im sick (since no one in my family except my mom will know about the surgery). wow! CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!!! im so happy for you! thats just awesome :D

My surgery date was 263 as well, and at 5'2" a BMI of 49.

I low carbed it, and pushed Protein for the first 6 months until I got to goal. You'll have to find what works for you, and your body. Plus, I'm over a decade older than you. Follow your surgeon's directions.

The "average" of percentage of weight loss in 12 months with the sleeve is only reported to show about 65% from my recollection, but you can read in the "Success Story" section of the forum that many, many, many of us have lost 100% of our excess weight in the first 6-9 months post-op.

Best wishes ! ! !

Depends on how you eat and control your carbs after sugery. I followed Tiffykins advice (read a lot on here preop) and stayed under 30 gr of carbs a day, 64 oz of Water, no soda, no caffine and 65+ grams of Protein day. Not as easy as it sounds but completely worth it when I hit goal...5 months out.

thats GREAT!!!!! i couldnt imagine hitting my goal at 5 months. if you dont mind me asking you guys, how is the extra skin?

Depends on how you eat and control your carbs after sugery. I followed Tiffykins advice (read a lot on here preop) and stayed under 30 gr of carbs a day, 64 oz of Water, no soda, no caffine and 65+ grams of Protein day. Not as easy as it sounds but completely worth it when I hit goal...5 months out.

I am only 8 wks out and I am at 72 lbs total (43 lbs pre-op and 29 lbs post-op). I am following the same regimine - low carb less than 30g a day. It's hard and mentally challanging some days but so worth it.

If you start now, you can start some really good habits that will only make life easier post-op and get a jump start on lbs.

im afraid i wont qualify for surgery if i lose too much. :(

I am only 8 wks out and I am at 72 lbs total (43 lbs pre-op and 29 lbs post-op). I am following the same regimine - low carb less than 30g a day. It's hard and mentally challanging some days but so worth it.

If you start now, you can start some really good habits that will only make life easier post-op and get a jump start on lbs.

Most insurances use your starting weight, when you see your surgeon as the weight they go by when its sent in for approval.

i thought the same but i called today & they said it all counts, the whole 6 months. :-/

Most insurances use your starting weight, when you see your surgeon as the weight they go by when its sent in for approval.

I am now 5 1/2 months out and have lost 73 pounds. My starting BMI was 43. There are a lot of factors. How much you needs to lose, as they said above, but also your sex, your age, exercise and how stictly you follow your diet. I have lost slower than some and quicker than others. I am 43 though. The ladies on here in their twenties seem to lose quicker than I have, but I am thrilled anyway. Good luck. Keep us up to date on your progress.

im a 22yr old female with a bmi of 46-50. ill be 23 when/if i have surgery. i think i will do decent on the diet. ive been on it before. i always fall off because im always hungry which i wouldnt be too much with the sleeve.

I am now 5 1/2 months out and have lost 73 pounds. My starting BMI was 43. There are a lot of factors. How much you needs to lose, as they said above, but also your sex, your age, exercise and how stictly you follow your diet. I have lost slower than some and quicker than others. I am 43 though. The ladies on here in their twenties seem to lose quicker than I have, but I am thrilled anyway. Good luck. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Started preop diet on 4-28 at 194. Sleeved on 5-6. So that puts me at about 10 weeks. I have lost 32 lbs. It's a mind game to lose weight still because i am never hungry. Good Luck

wow! congrats!!! you didnt have a 3-6month diet?

Started preop diet on 4-28 at 194. Sleeved on 5-6. So that puts me at about 10 weeks. I have lost 32 lbs. It's a mind game to lose weight still because i am never hungry. Good Luck