Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, another newbie starting her journey

Thought it was about time I introduced myself! I am married 25 years to a great guy. I have 2 grown children that find it easier to live at home. Son 24 and daughter 20. Like probably most I think I have attempted every diet out there, had some successes however cannot keep it off. Thus leaving me at 320lbs at 5'4". I almost went in for the lapband about 6 years ago but 2 weeks prior to surgery ins said no. I needed 12 months of medically approved weight lose plan. Get this though they would have payed for a bypass! At the time they were still opening you up from stem to sterm and I wanted no part of that. Besides 2 of my cousins had a bypass and both have dumping syndrome and a few other problems. However they are skinny. I am 54 have had both knees replaced. I have been to the information seminar, found out ins will pay.except for a co pay. $900.00. whick is doable for me. I am scheduled to meet and review my medical history 7/11/11. I really do not have any other medical problems and know my primary care will sign or recommend whatever is needed. I work in the nursing field and have a high stress working enviroment. I do love my job and not alway like it! However my home and family are my foundation, my good place. They are very supportive of me, and I know will continue to support me thru this journey also. My daughter is actually going thru this with me and is considering a lap band or a sleeve. She will need $2,000.00. I will try to assist with that but that will be tough. I just don't want her to be 54 and fat, like her Momma. But this is her decision and I will back her with whatever she decides.

:rolleyes:Shamrock, welcome to the site. Lots of useful information. Any question or problem you may have......probably some one here knows the answer or been through the same thing. Good luck and God bless on your weight loss journey.

Welcome :) I hope you that everything goes very smoothly for you and your daughter!!!

Well so far we have both seen and been approved by our family doctor, psychologist, . pulmonary, Me a sleep study and attended our all day seminar. Now we wait for all the paperwork from the appts to get to the surgical center so we can see the surgical Dr. and set our date. We are hoping for sometime in Oct! We will need to do a 2 week pre op diet but when I reviewed it I have been on it before. 3 shakes a day plus 5 fruit and veg, and a protien.

I have been following the Message boards and have found so much info and inspiration.

congrats! i just turned 25 in july a few weeks after getting my sleeve and i would really recommend it to you and your daughter! i am a month out and seeing big changes and feel so much better! let us know if you have questions and welcome to the site!

My daughter got her call today that she passed all her pretests and now needs to see the surgeon. I was happy she said she would like me to go with her for her consult. I got a call this morning from the sleep study people but I did not have access to my phone until after 6pm tonight. I will call them tommorow hopefully there is no problems there, I will find out tommorow. Time is moving fast right now. I am hoping to be sleeved first week of Oct. My daughter turns 21 on 10/4/11 and she wants a couple days to 'enjoy the benefits' I think she to wants her sleeve around 10/7/11.

Good luck to both of you! The time will fly by.

My mom was banded last October and as I started to see her losing weight I decided I wanted WLS too. I originally wanted the band but based upon my medical history of colitis my doc recommended the sleeve. I am only 6 days out but best decision I ever made! :)