Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two people DYING recently in Mexico on the operating table??

OK, this scares me. I was all for Almanza, even though I'm not thrilled with my choice. I'm hoping to make it out of the cattle call and be healthy and move on after the 3 days. I was considering Dr. Kelly, but now I'm hearing about deaths. I'd LOVEEEE Aceves, but he's just too expensive. Is there any middle ground Doctor in TJ who does a decent job? This scares me.... I always heard great things about Dr. Kelly.

Remember that some facilitators that work for some surgeons will start rumors and put doubt in peoples mind about certain surgeons, then they will talk great things about the surgeons they work for so more people will go to their surgeon because they get commission. This just happened. Someone from one surgeons office slandered Dr Almanza but dr A and Bettencourt proved she lied and sued her In a slander lawsuit.

Dr Almanza is the best in TJ. And no one has died!!!

Im sure there are others that are great surgeons too but yes it's like a cattle call and it is different in Mexico. But safe, clean and an excellent surgeon is what's important.

With this said. I have researched deaths in Mexico and can not find any truth to it.

He is awesome I was only in surgery for 40 min he came to see me everyday ..I'm blessed all I can say is thank you DR RODRIGUEZ ...35PDS DOWN SINCE APRIL 26TH...

Remember that some facilitators that work for some surgeons will start rumors and put doubt in peoples mind about certain surgeons, then they will talk great things about the surgeons they work for so more people will go to their surgeon because they get commission. This just happened. Someone from one surgeons office slandered Dr Almanza but dr A and Bettencourt proved she lied and sued her In a slander lawsuit.

Dr Almanza is the best in TJ. And no one has died!!!

Im sure there are others that are great surgeons too but yes it's like a cattle call and it is different in Mexico. But safe, clean and an excellent surgeon is what's important.

With this said. I have researched deaths in Mexico and can not find any truth to it.

I am NOT a coordinator and you can check it out IF they will give you the medical license numbers for BOTH doctors. No deaths? What about over 50 infections, over 10 staple line leaks, perforated stomachs, spleens, and livers? Check out: (about 1/4 of the way down) http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/ Ironically, I didn't hear about this from her, I heard it from several other people...all of them are coordinators? C'mon!

Renee`

****Edited to add THIS, the name of the clinic before they changed...again. There have been several names btw...WHY? Very shady...very scary. I'm extremely thankful that those with no complications are doing fine but I worry about the others. http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/2529-major-complications-emmanuel-medical-center/

Ya know, just thinking about it, I did a YouTube video on this and would love to hear from anyone that's been there to get the TRUTH out once and for all. Good or bad. If they're good then that should be stated. If they're bad, then that should be told as well. Please email me at skinnyrenee@rocketmail.com and as I find out more I'll do more YouTube on it. I won't mention names but I want to find out the truth of it all. IS it one giant smear campaign or are people really coming back on deaths door?

Renee`

And Dr Kelly DID IN FACT have a death last month! You can call him or Trish and they will confirm it. The discrepency comes in with HOW she died. Dr Kelly and Trish say it was an Pulmonary Embolism and the family of the girl said the autopsy shows that her artery was knicked...But either way--THERE WAS A DEATH.

And Dr Kelly DID IN FACT have a death last month! You can call him or Trish and they will confirm it. The discrepency comes in with HOW she died. Dr Kelly and Trish say it was an Pulmonary Embolism and the family of the girl said the autopsy shows that her artery was knicked...But either way--THERE WAS A DEATH.

I agree how would anyone on here know how this woman died? Where did they have direct contact with family members who they dont know? Sounds like hearsay to me.

Jeeze, how awful. While doing research and interviewing my doctor, I found that during his practice as a bariatric surgeon (he was a trauma surgeon previously) that he has lost 3 patients. All stemming from complications post op. This can happen here. That is what helped me decide NOT to go to Mexico, not that I was considering it much anyways. **** happens after surgery and I wanted to have a surgeon here that I could trust if the **** hit the fan. Even GREAT doctors have complications. I have a great surgeon and I was one of the lucky ones who sailed through post op with no problems.

lol oddly enough I just said this hours ago on another thread. I'm not lying, like I said, I don't know either. There was a death. To be honest, since we aren't in the industry, we probably will never know the truth of it. I certainly wouldn't trust the coordinator, but maybe she's telling the truth, who knows? Unless there's an autopsy report (ew gross, I wouldn't look at it to be honest) we'll never know.

I agree how would anyone on here know how this woman died? Where did they have direct contact with family members who they dont know? Sounds like hearsay to me.

Because we were there. June 3rd. Dr. Kelly. My daughter went first and did fine. Gibgirly (debbie) was 34 with no co morbids and perfectly healthy but Dr. Kelly nicked an artery and when they went back in they couldnt find the source and couldn't get the bleeding to stop. This information is from the father of the girl with whom I've been keeping in contact with. She had told one girlfriend who was listed as her contact. Apparently she had also given this girlfriend my number just in case and her parents contacted me through her girlfriend.

This has been a very difficult time. It was pretty traumatic.

Regarding the other death that I am aware of was Dr. Kuri with whom I am not familiar. Dr. Kelly actually told me about that one. I tried to google it back then but it seems like that may have been a lap band situation and I have no clue what happened. Dr. Kelly was just really concerned because of all of the negative publicity Dr. Kuri was getting. Odd.

OK, this scares me. I was all for Almanza, even though I'm not thrilled with my choice. I'm hoping to make it out of the cattle call and be healthy and move on after the 3 days. I was considering Dr. Kelly, but now I'm hearing about deaths. I'd LOVEEEE Aceves, but he's just too expensive. Is there any middle ground Doctor in TJ who does a decent job? This scares me.... I always heard great things about Dr. Kelly.

Hi Pink Betty!

I am 2 weeks post surgery with Dr. Ortiz at Obesity Control Center. I did a LOT of research and it was between him and Aceves. However, I kept going back to Ortiz. I am soooo glad I did. If you go to his website you will get a lot of information and he also has a lot of You Tube Videos by weightlosssurgery (I think).

I will be glad to give you more information if you want to PM me. You don't see his name much on this blog, but I can tell you he is awesome. I have had NO problems at all. His staff is amazing. His Center is VERY clean. He also is an International Center Of Excellence. (A recognition given by an organization in the states to stateside doctors and now to international doctors as they qualify.)

Hi Stephie!

I remember hearing Ortiz was the best of the best at lapbands a couple of years ago. I am tossing my Cookies (almost) reading this! Yikes!! God. I mean it could happen to anyone, anywhere. Just scary. I remember there was an older lady on here.. I can't remember her name. She sang praises (in this case it was Almanza) about how wonderful he was, and she sent her sister down there to him for surgery. Something went wrong and no one seemed to care. She was basically shoved off. She spent at least a month in ICU in a US hospital with like 200K in medical bills. Yikes. But I dont have 8700 dollars and I dont want to wait FOREVER for insurance to MAYBE approve me... So, I guess I'll just pray I'm cool and I come out OK. Ick. MOST people do come out OK. My luck tends to be bad though. Hopefully not in this case!!

Btw- that's crazy about Dr Kuri. I was dead set on him when I wanted the lap band a few years back. (Didnt know about this operation that the time). He had so many accolades and happy patients.

Hi Stephie!

I remember hearing Ortiz was the best of the best at lapbands a couple of years ago. I am tossing my Cookies (almost) reading this! Yikes!! God. I mean it could happen to anyone, anywhere. Just scary. I remember there was an older lady on here.. I can't remember her name. She sang praises (in this case it was Almanza) about how wonderful he was, and she sent her sister down there to him for surgery. Something went wrong and no one seemed to care. She was basically shoved off. She spent at least a month in ICU in a US hospital with like 200K in medical bills. Yikes. But I dont have 8700 dollars and I dont want to wait FOREVER for insurance to MAYBE approve me... So, I guess I'll just pray I'm cool and I come out OK. Ick. MOST people do come out OK. My luck tends to be bad though. Hopefully not in this case!!

Was that Spoongal or something? I don't see her post anymore and when I first started here she was on a lot.

Renee,

Good memory. You are absolutely right. I was thinking Betty for some reason. Yeah, you saw her story go from great to disaster. Beyond disaster. The doc basically left her sis there to die. Thank God TJ is close to the border.....