Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I'm gonna be truthful here... Wine??! I love it?! Is this a problem?!

Hello!

I love my drinks... Diet coke on a hot day..... Wine... A great way to spend an evening with the girls or whatnot.

Is this surgery not for me? I'm HELLBENT on this surgery, but if I can't have a glass of wine or two once a week, it's a dealbreaker. I'd rather really work at it and be chubs instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Wait, I meant I love wine and diet coke. Separately. Not together. Gross!!

But If I can never enjoy either again... I don't know.... That along is my biggest fear. Not going to Mexico, not anything else. But just not being able to enjoy what I like ever again.

I drink wine several times a week. Usually a glass or at most 2 (5 oz servings). My weight loss isn't super fast, but I am losing while still indulging in one of my guilty pleasures. I have read on here that others were told they aren't EVER supposed to drink alcohol again after surgery...sorry but that doesn't fly with me. Moderation is key...and I only drink when I've met my daily Protein and Fluid requirements. I find it takes much less for me to be satisfied...I used to drink a whole bottle of wine. If my weight loss stops, well then it's time to give it up :)

I did two experiements, two different evenings, to see what alchohol will do to me. I had a small amount of beer (about /14 c) one evening. Another time, I had a small amount of tequila (2T). Both evenings I got light headed a got a buzz feeling. I am not having any more alchohol until I hit goal. But I plan on having the occasional drink once I get there. I guess my drinks will all be served in shot glasses, and I will sip them slowly.

I haven't tried wine. Maybe someone else can help you out there.

My husband and I collect good wines and truly savor and enjoy them. My surgeon said no alcohol for three to six months. So I figure I will be able to enjoy our wine again around Christmas, which I am looking forward to. It WILL slow weight loss down and for some people (like me) pretty significantly. It is temporary, so I can do it. But I miss it and will look forward to that first glass. But I am not going to drink it daily anymore, even when I go back to having it in December.

The main advice I would give is the 1st time you have alcohol after surgery, go easy and do it at home with people you trust.

It hits everyone differently but for many a little goes a very long way following surgery.

s this surgery not for me? I'm HELLBENT on this surgery, but if I can't have a glass of wine or two once a week, it's a dealbreaker

this was a concern for me- look at my blog... tongue.gif i am all about making wine- 22/7...

IMO- sleeve is the better of the two for wanting a drink...

The phycologist and my surgeon both agreed, it would not interfere, however, the amounts would change- and to be very careful of crossover addiction.

I slowed down quite a bit pre-op, and yes- on the fourth did have several Jello shots... one didn't hurt, so I had a few more through out the day while swimming...

wasn't wine... I'm not gonna tempt my stomach at this time... I want it healed...

I do have plans on doing a red wine Jello shot... biggrin.gif

so what you got to decide is it right for you... after surgery, who knows until you try it...

I am having trouble with a lot of foods, however ice cream and Cookies are no problem...

unsure.gif yes- I had a skinny cow, and it was good! and I had 1 PB cookie, and it went down easily...

I try mashed potato, quesadilla , and it is wanting to come back up instantly...

Great. Thank you everyone! That was literally my biggest fear and I'd be hating life, not able to enjoy anything. Love this board!!! Thanks again!

I am 9 weeks out and I enjoy white wine three ish times a week. I also tell myself that I need at least 64 oz of Water first. I measure 6 oz of wine and count it as my carbs. I am not sure if I could be losing faster bc there is no "control" me. However, I was told that it does slow wt loss. I can't diet strictly anymore. I exercise, eat low fat Protein and meal choices.I drink water and smile a lot with my kids. I enjoy wine, and want to continue. I think moderation is key. Some people cant stop at one. I don't get the feeling like I used to from the wine, and it goes away very quickly so some say it's not worth it. I like the taste and occasion. Good Luck! Life can be great!

I am 9 weeks out and I enjoy white wine three ish times a week. I also tell myself that I need at least 64 oz of Water first. I measure 6 oz of wine and count it as my carbs. I am not sure if I could be losing faster bc there is no "control" me. However, I was told that it does slow wt loss. I can't diet strictly anymore. I exercise, eat low fat Protein and meal choices.I drink Water and smile a lot with my kids. I enjoy wine, and want to continue. I think moderation is key. Some people cant stop at one. I don't get the feeling like I used to from the wine, and it goes away very quickly so some say it's not worth it. I like the taste and occasion. Good Luck! Life can be great!

YAY! Thank you! Can't WAIT for surgery. SOOO excited.

3 - 6 months to start enjoying alcohol again? My surgery is August 11 so, I'll be just in time for Mardi Gras! :)