Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Wish They Had Not Done Their Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

Thanks, Meg... my stomach is one issue I have. I have terrible IBS and have already made dramatic dietary changes, but it's related to fibromyalgia, so there's only so much I can do, really. It's scary, because maybe VSG makes my stomach better... maybe it makes it worse. Same goes with the fibro. There's really no way to know, and it's such a HUGE risk since you can't "undo" it.

I suffer from severe fibro and chronic fatigue. If you'd like I can give you my phone number and I'll talk to you about it. I blogged all about it as well. I was TERRIFIED going into surgery because of the horrible IBS and of going into a flare. All the same concerns you have. I didn't go into a flare, even after a very rocky start. Oddly enough, I was JUST talking about my IBS on youtube today LOL It's 110% BETTER than before I had surgery. Eating was always scary for me because I had the diarrhea with the IBS so I never got to eat at restaurants and even at home I had to make sure I wasn't going ANYWHERE for a few hours after eating. Now, it's much better! Much much better!!!

Has it helped the fibro? Yes and no. I don't need help getting out of bed anymore. I haven't had to literally crawl to the bathroom once since surgery and I'm not as sore in general for the most part. I mean, it's forever, right? But it's improved a lot in a little over a month. My fibro is WHY I had the surgery. I want as much of my life back as I can get and any chance of that was / is a chance I'm willing to take! I actually did a video on youtube about my fibro and surgery as well not long ago.

At any rate, if you want to talk to me about it, feel free to pm me and I'll give you my number. I'm more than willing to do anything I can to help.

Renee`

I'm honestly not sure yet if I regret my surgery or not. I'm thrilled with my weight loss, but there are drawbacks. I'm a lactose intolerant, vegetarian turned pescatarian with IBS. I spent a really long time figuring out what to eat, how to eat, and when to eat in every conceivable situation. I'm not excited about having to start that process all over again. However, that's not even the most disappointing part of the surgery for me. What I'm having the hardest time with is the return of my acid reflux. I used to be able to control it through food, but now even though I'm on medication and even though I'm barely eating anything, I'm still dealing with it. This may not be a huge deal to some, but I'm a singer and it's RUINING my voice. It makes me so incredibly hoarse that my range is shot. I can't perform and it just makes me sad to try and learn new music. I guess I didn't realize how likely I would be to have GERD after the surgery so I didn't realize how I would be impacted. My GERD is very mild and hardly bothers me, yet it still prevents me from singing as well as I'm usually able to. It hurts.

Oh, I want everyone's opinion. I don't care if you're 2 days post-op. The more information I have, the better able I am to make decisions. I suspect that the people who regret it after 6 months or more probably don't post on forums like these anyway, for the simple reason that they'll likely be attacked as Tamz was here.

I never considered any of the other types of WLS very seriously. I have a very bad case of Hashimoto's Disease, and the malabsorption issues are enough to put me off those types of surgery. I also know the complication rates are higher with the other types based on the document my insurance company provides (lap-band was slightly lower, but I've heard enough lap-band horror stories, and it's not really suitable for someone my size anyway). They cover all the types, but give the basic facts.

I admit that the 1 in 1000 mortality rate is higher than I'd like, even though I accept that it translates to .1%. Still, that's scary... 1 out of 1000 people who do this will die? I'm not sure I like that risk.

There are reasons I'm considering doing this, mostly they're practical. I'm going to finish grad school next year, and I'm worried no one will hire me. But it's also logistical. It would be nice to not need 2 airplane tickets. It would be nice to sit in a booth... but even more practical, it would be nice to not worry that if I do manage to get hired, I won't fit in the seats in the auditorium at the school I work at, or on field trips that I won't fit in the seat on a bus... etc, etc. Those of you who've been a very high weight know what I mean. It's more than looking a way that's socially inadequate. That I don't give a rat's ass about (aside from the risks of not getting a job over it). I have an amazing marriage - better than most of the thin people I know. He loves me for who I am, regardless of my size. I don't need to lose weight to gain friends or find a man. I don't go out socially, so I don't care much about what I can or can't eat when I do. I'd just like life to be less inconvenient. If it actually made me healthier, bonus, but I'm somewhat skeptical and there aren't many long term studies at this point to back up the health benefits. Anecdotal evidence is great... but it's got to be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyway, ty all for sharing your stories.

Ok wait...I will tell you that the first day or 2 I was like WTH did I do to myself?!?! Because it's the worst then, but even then I knew it was the right thing to do. I knew I didn't want any other wls because IF there is ever a cure for fibro and OOOPS! it's in the NSAID family, then I would be shooting myself in the foot because I couldn't take it then.

If you want to get healthy and live a full life then your head is in the right place and you MIGHT be ready for wls. If you want to spend less money when you fly, want to sit in a booth etc...your head is NOT in the right place and you're wasting your time by being here and by going to the seminar.

Just my opinion.

Renee`

Let me start off by saying: I love my sleeve! I love it's purpose, I love that I have it and I love that it's out there for others to use as a tool

I however hate healthcare politics. I was approved by Aetna, got my surgery and thought everything was ok. Until I got bills totaling almost $10,500. Apparently the anesthesiologist is not covered under my insurance but how is a consumer suppose to know that?! I feel my insurance company failed me in making sure that the providers who were going to perform my surgery would be in network and if they weren't they'd inform me. Boy was I mistaken.

Although I have complete faith I will overcome this financial burdern, I just urge everyone to know what your insurance covers and what it does not. When you go to the hospital for pre-op ask what surgeons, companies/contractors will be operating on you and check to see if you are covered or if they're in network. Just because the hospital and surgeon are covered, doesn't mean the anesthesiologist is.

again, i love my sleeve. i don't regret it, but i wish it were different

Let me start off by saying: I love my sleeve! I love it's purpose, I love that I have it and I love that it's out there for others to use as a tool

I however hate healthcare politics. I was approved by Aetna, got my surgery and thought everything was ok. Until I got bills totaling almost $10,500. Apparently the anesthesiologist is not covered under my insurance but how is a consumer suppose to know that?! I feel my insurance company failed me in making sure that the providers who were going to perform my surgery would be in network and if they weren't they'd inform me. Boy was I mistaken.

Although I have complete faith I will overcome this financial burdern, I just urge everyone to know what your insurance covers and what it does not. When you go to the hospital for pre-op ask what surgeons, companies/contractors will be operating on you and check to see if you are covered or if they're in network. Just because the hospital and surgeon are covered, doesn't mean the anesthesiologist is.

again, i love my sleeve. i don't regret it, but i wish it were different

I have aetna too .. And the hospital rep lady told me to call aetna and tell them I wasnt advised that the anesthesiologist wasnt covered.. Bc I was originally told everything was in network.. So we'll see when I get the bill!

No regrets-

I just can't wait for the dizziness and fainting to leave, and to be able to eat again...

so far all meals today and two yesterday have come up...

I am drinking real gatorade now... for the carbs and sodium as prescribed by nutritionist...

I am so going back to soft foods!

Never! Not one moment every! This has been thing in 45 years I have gotten right for once~ I LOVE MY sleeve! There in no comfort in the world like watching the pounds melt away, discovering what I CAN do, rather than not do and finding excuse TO work out rather NOT to work out! LOVE THE SLEEVE! and no it has not been all easy and or Cookies and cream, but worth every personal accomplishment, pound and mile I have put in. I NOW have the energy to take my toddler gran babies on and WIN! Ride 35 mile on my bkie, have energy that no words can explain.

Total reality moment??? When my PCP said come on lets get you out of here,,, you are too healthy now ( minus 5 blood pressure meds and blood sugar med) to go and go and go! Workng on 4 hours of sleep and feel great!

OH MY GOODNESS!!! just telling my husband over dinner ... i wanted to start a thread asking this very same question :D ... i hope you get lots of replies

When something goes well for us, we tend to become evangelists about it. I am going to a "seminar" about VSG tomorrow, though... and I want to know if anyone here wishes they hadn't had the surgery.

Thanks.

I'm with you on that! I too am 36 and being sleeved next week on the 14th!! All I can think is, I will be 37-38 by the time I hit my surgeon's goal ( hoping I'm being generous) and I would give ANYTHING to have had this done back when I was 27 or even younger! Just so I wouldn't have had to gone through all the pain, and misery I have with all this fat I've been carrying around! I'm ready, ready, ready! I realize that it's not going to be roses and sunshine for a while, but I KNOW that it will be worth it in the end.

Just one quick question. I am a school bus driver. I am working this summer taking the special needs kids back and forth to school, and am hoping to be able to go back on the Tuesday after surgery. It is not a strenuous job, and I am only seated for about 30 minutes at a time. (very short trips) Do you think it's managable to go back after 5 days?

I was and am very lucky. I had the Cheif surgeon at my facility and could not have been in better hands!! I followed his advice to the letter. Lost tons of weight pre-op, which I believe made my surgery and recovery MUCH MUCH smoother!! I went back to work in 7 days!

My only regret is that they did not have this surgery when I was much younger! I am 36 and would love to have about 1/2 of my life back!

Kelly :D

I'm with you on that! I too am 36 and being sleeved next week on the 14th!! All I can think is, I will be 37-38 by the time I hit my surgeon's goal ( hoping I'm being generous) and I would give ANYTHING to have had this done back when I was 27 or even younger! Just so I wouldn't have had to gone through all the pain, and misery I have with all this fat I've been carrying around! I'm ready, ready, ready! I realize that it's not going to be roses and sunshine for a while, but I KNOW that it will be worth it in the end.

Just one quick question. I am a school bus driver. I am working this summer taking the special needs kids back and forth to school, and am hoping to be able to go back on the Tuesday after surgery. It is not a strenuous job, and I am only seated for about 30 minutes at a time. (very short trips) Do you think it's managable to go back after 5 days?

I was off work for 3 weeks but only because I could. I think you'd be fine to go back to work when you said. However, just to be safe you should definitely ask your surgeon. :)

I went back to work after 10 days and I'm a nurse that works 12 hour shift on my feet. I think that you should be able to do it. Just make sure that you check with your surgeon first.

I regretted the hell out of having mutilated my body several times since having surgery almost 12 weeks ago. It wasn't because of physical discomfort - most all surgeries bring some level of pain during the recovery period which eventually passes. My regret was not being able to eat all the yummy foods that I have always enjoyed which, in turn, brings me pleasure. The worst was immediately after surgery when I was on clears and then full liquids. I had to face the fact that although I had denied it, I was indeed a food addict, or at the very least, a sugar/carb addict.

I allowed myself a brief mourning period and then got over the sadness I felt over never again being able to enjoy the buffet at Golden Corral or my favorite Chinese place. After all, it's just food. How stupid is it that I would sacrifice my health and improved physical appearance over some stupid fried rice that would only bring momentary pleasure to my taste buds? Personally, being down 73lbs from my highest weight ever FAR outweighs my being able to eat at a buffet. It's. Just. Food.

I can still eat most of the foods I enjoyed before surgery, just not in the same quantities. Instead of 2 cups of fried rice I eat 1/2 cup. I can eat 2 crab wontons instead of 10. And I can eat 4 or 5 french fries instead of an entire super-sized order. Every now & then, my head wants more even though my stomach says I'm done. My inner 3 year old self wants to stomp and cry and do a 'take back' on the surgery so I can eat more. Fortunately, my sleeve keeps me in check until I regain my senses and put my big girl panties back on. :)

I have lunch with friends often, starting when I was just a week out and had to bring a bowl of broth with me to the restaurant. Yeah, I felt like an oddball then but now I just eat like a skinny person! I wouldn't give up my sleeve for all the tea in China 'cause I would have never been able to control my appetite enough to keep the weight off without it.

I had surgery on May 3rd so it has been over 9 weeks now. Up to about a week or two ago, I was not necessarily feeling buyers remorse but just angry about the fact that I ended up having to come to this. I had a very non eventful surgery. No gas pain whatsoever, incision pain only, only took pain meds that first day. I have learned I definitely need to take a PPI because the acid sucks.

I am starting to learn my limitations and try to stay away from them. I cannot eat regular bread, Buns, Bagels, and Pasta. I can eat rice, couscous, and those friehoffer sandwich thins on occasion. I eat pretty darn normally. Going to restaurants which was something my husband and I used to love to do every week can be challenging, I have gone out to eat twice since surgery and I did fine and I enjoyed it and had lots of leftovers. I have been lucky that I have had no real complications and have only vomited twice since surgery.

I have lost 64 lbs that I otherwise would definitely not have lost on my own. My feet don't hurt like they used to, I don't get winded walking from my car to my office, i can go up flights of stairs relatively easy and I was able to turn the pressure down on my CPAP machine about 4 points, can't wait to never have to use it again and I have only lost about 20% of my excess weight. I can only imagine what it will be to lose 50% or more of that. How can I regret it? There is no way possible.

I may get angry about not being able to eat certain things but that is my fat self being spoiled rotten like I have been for the last 18 years when I started putting on the weight. Eating what I want whenever I wanted is what got me in trouble in the first place.

There are so many folks on here, even those who have had serious complications and made it through, who will tell you they do not regret it one bit.

I love being thin again. I feel great. And while its true you cannot eat like you used to nobody notices and you won't care either because you aren't hungry and you absolutely just can't. I've made decisions and purchases I've regretted-but this one has been nothing but awesome.

Thank you so much. Yes, my job is definitely much less laborous than yours! I used to do nursing years ago, but my knees go so bad from walking around on those concrete floors with 130 pounds of extra weight I just couldn't do it anymore. It was give it up, or get knee replacements at the age of 30. I have considered going back into it once I'm down where I want to be. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. And I WILL get THERE!! My surgeon is pretty lenient, so I don't think she will have any issues of me going back after 5 days. If so, I'll take the extra couple of days and go from there. Thanks again!

I went back to work after 10 days and I'm a nurse that works 12 hour shift on my feet. I think that you should be able to do it. Just make sure that you check with your surgeon first.