Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Painful "Port" Incision

Hi everyone,

I'm 8 days post op and thrilled by the way! I had lap-band in 2007 and lost 50 lbs in 6 months but over the next 3.5 years gained back 15. I hated the lap-band from the get go... My main complaint was pain at the port site. Well now that it's been removed, that particular incision is so painful ! Everything else feels great but that one incision has a small knot under it and gives me so much grief and pain that I still take my pain meds and it kept me from going back to work today. I'm planning on calling my doc...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any experiences you can share would be so appreciated! Thanks :rolleyes:

The port area was by far the most painful part of my recovery. I had hoards of scar tissue around that area, and it bothered me for months until I had my gallbladder removed at 8 months post-revision, and my surgeon went in and removed all the adhesions and scar tissue that had developed. It's the one area that, even at 2 years out, still has sensitivity in a weird way. If I bump a countertop or corner of a table "just right", it hurts more there than any other incision/scar area on my stomach.

As for the bump, or swelling, I've read of others getting hematomas or seromas from their port area so watch it carefully, and ask your surgeon if you should watch for any signs of those occurrences.

Best wishes on a successful recovery ! ! !

Ive had my band out for over 10 months (having sleeve in less than a week :)) and my port site still bugs me sometimes. My port stuck out like a rock when I was pregnant, so i know I have lots of scar tissue around that area. I've already mentioned it to my Doc and he will be looking closely for any adhesions during my surgery. Definitely mention it to your Doc, it may be one of those things that just takes some extra time and hopefully will resolve itself soon. Congrats on getti through your surgery!

Hmm... my port incision is located pretty far away from my actual port. Port incision is right around my xiphoid process, my port is about 3" down and an inch or so to the right. I get pain from the scar tissue near the incision, and the actual port area "glitches" sometimes (e.g. I bend just right, or wrong, depending on how you look at it... I swear I can feel it *thwap* even though it's still sewn down good and tight... so I don't really know what's going on there).

When I lay flat on my back, my scar tissue makes a very obvious knot under my skin. Sooo painful if my daughter happens to press on this or kick it when we're playing.

If your incision is right over your port, I would guess you're feeling the effects of the surgeon having to actually cut the port out.

If your incision, like mine, is not really in the same area as your port, then definitely watch it closely for any redness, swelling, hardening, discoloration, etc.

Read "weird complication after surgery" for my crazy story with my port incision.

Hi Baytee,

I did, and that made me make an appointment with my surgeon!! I saw him this morning and he could feel the lump too and said it could be becoming a hematoma, but it's definitely not infected or anything so he put a pressure dressing on it and showed me how to replace it daily so that should stop it. Hopefully !! I feel a lot better knowing it's not a hernia!! So I'll keep an eye on it and call him if it gets worse.

Is yours all healed up now?

Read "weird complication after surgery" for my crazy story with my port incision.

Mine is all healed up!! You can barely tell where they had to reopen it. Did they try and drain yours or were you not at that point? I hope yours heals up too! It is just an odd feeling and it is very awkward worse then when I had the port in!

uhhg.. I have the same sensitivity around my scar tissue where the port was. All my incisions look like they opened me up with a dull serrated steak knife. I wish I never had the stupid lap band! I'm getting sleeved on Aug 11, I hope its a better experience...

I'm now a little over 2 weeks post op and feeling much better! I'm glad for the band experience because I think it prepared me for this. Be sure to keep in touch after your surgery!