Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am 6 days post op and not up to mushy foods yet but I was just wondering why people havent mentioned much about fruits. I havent seen doc yet since but are fruits not allowed? like in mushy stage can you eat a super ripe banana ????? or even baby foood has so many fruits and they are delicious ( lol I have a 7 month old ) so I am very aware of baby food . They even have pumpkin and cinnamon flavor and there already portioned and not high in sugars so I feel like this would be a great Snacks for people but I havent heard much talk about fruit, I know some fruits may be high in sugar and not even soft but for the soft ones can you eat them?????Hmmmm I wouild like to know how people are eating fruit and it they are eating it at all>????

on my mushy stage, i was allowed bananas. some on here have issues with them, so, if i were you i would only eat maybe 1/4 of one at first to see how it goes for you.

i did not have issues with it. however, people proabably just don't mention them because if you do what you are supposed to, which is Protein first, you really do not have room for fruit. and they do have ALOT of carbs and sugar in them.

i don't low carb, but do eat my protein first, but have a banana for a snack a couple times a week, as i get leg cramps and it helps.

Kelly :P

Ohhh okay thnk you for your input!!! and Gooood Luck thats great only 30lbs to go I cant wail till I am there!!

on my mushy stage, i was allowed bananas. some on here have issues with them, so, if i were you i would only eat maybe 1/4 of one at first to see how it goes for you.

i did not have issues with it. however, people proabably just don't mention them because if you do what you are supposed to, which is Protein first, you really do not have room for fruit. and they do have ALOT of carbs and sugar in them.

i don't low carb, but do eat my protein first, but have a banana for a snack a couple times a week, as i get leg cramps and it helps.

Kelly :P

On my plan, I was technically allow applesauce, mashed banana and canned fruit in 100% juice (pureed) on the pureed/mushie stage. However, my NUT said that the goal is Protein, protein, protein. At the time I could just eat my protein and no added foods. I'm now coming to the end of the soft food stage and I now have room for something else after my 4 oz of protein, so I started adding in some fruit cups. I think it's all a matter of how much your sleeve can tolerate. I was told to eat in a 1/2 hour and to stop if I hadn't finished in 45 minutes, no matter how much I ate. It's only been the past week that I've been able to eat faster and not feel so full. So, I'm not adding in a little fruit and will try some cooked veggies tonight.

When I was in the full liquid and mushies stage I did eat some baby food fruits, but like Kelly said, fruit just naturally has a lot of carbs. Do your Protein first, then a bite or two of veggies if you want and then eat a little fruit if there is room. I'm one who believes it is not necessary to deprive yourself of anything you really like, just do in strict moderation. You will see as you go along, you just won't be able to overeat because there just isn't room. It is a long learning process but worth it all...K

Fruits are fine, I think that most people don't mention them because when they are eating, they try to eat Protein first and then fruits, carbs etc after that. Most of us will be full before that so we don't actually make it to the fruits or Desserts lol. I do love strawberries and bananas though. I have seen this summer that Walmart sells these little tiny bananas and they are awesome, just the right size.

I was also allowed canned peaches and pears as well as bananas on mushies. I preferred to soak unsulfered organic apricots and puree them in the hopes they would help me keep regular ( not so unfortunately!)

I do count carbs but I now drink two Protein drinks a day in order to be able to have a bit more variety in my 1/4 cup that my sleeve will hold. Our apricot tree is in full production right now and I am determined to have some of them while they are ripe and sweet (sans peels). Tonight I had four green eans with my 1 1/2 ounce of pot roast! WIth such a small amount you have to stay mindful of getting some fruits and veggies. I basically never get to the straight carbs.

Good luck!

Be careful with fruit. I didn't have any fruit until about 2 months post-op. At that time I tried a small clementine. I got really dizzy and upset stomach. The Nutritionist said it could be two things: 1) many people have trouble with fiberous fruits post WLS, and/or 2) eating just a piece of fruit is a lot of SUGAR. She said the symptoms can be similar to those of "dumping" for a gastric bypass patient. Anyway....she suggested leaving the fruits alone for another 1-2 months. I cheated though and have had a few strawberries recently and they were fine. I make certain to eat them WITH some Protein.

Marie