Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow losing makes me a sore loser

My son just turned one. My body is totally different. All my weight is centralized in my mid section. My weight has gone up and down like Oprah since the age of about 24. I realize I have serious body issues brought on by my mother who's been on a diet for as long as I can remember. She always had slim fast or some type of diet stuff in the house. The other day she told me that I should've lost more weight than I've lost by now and you can't really tell that I've lost weight.

It got to me. I feel like I can't either.

I was wearing a size 18 and can fit a 16 now (pants are loose everywhere except on tummy.

* sigh *

I'm slow losing and even thought I didn't have a lot of weight to lose compared to some, I still feel... like this "TOOL" isn't working the way I thought it would. All the you tube videos/updates I watched make me feel like that wont' be me.

Okay, I'll stop rambling now. Sorry, just had to vent.

First of all, how afwfu for you that your own mother would say something so horrible to you!! I am so sorry! That is not nice at all. She should be applauding your weight loss, not shooting you down! How sad! Every pound lost should be celebrated, not said it is not happening fast enough! WOW!

I am not sure when you were sleeved or how long you have been at this, but Celebrate every pound and if people in your life are going to be negative about your weight loss, don't be around them! You should have people around that are going to support you, not beat you down!

So what if it takes you 5 years to lose everything that you want to lose, at least you are doing it! Those that shoot you down are just jealous of you. Know that and keep your head up and keep doing what you are doing! You are doing GREAT! Every pound is a pound closer to where you want to be and be happy about it!

Kelly ;)

Our stats are quite a like. I think that it doesn't seem like we've lost a lot of weight because we started with lower BMI's. Yes, I would like to be losing weight more quickly but I am scared of losing the hair and the really loose skin so I am being happily patient. Have you started working out? I have noticed my weight loss has slowed in my little exercise "vacation" that I have taken the last week and a half. Your weight loss is actually very good. You've lost 1/3 of your desirable excess weight. Keep your chin up! It will come off! I am thrilled that I have lost weight and don't even feel like I am dieting!

Edited by weho

Ok, so this has really made me MAD!!

I went back and looked at your stats. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? You were sleeved a week after me I was on 5/9 and you 5/16 and you have lost 25lbs!! That is 7 weeks ago tomorrow and according to MY math, that is 3.6 lbs a week! WHO DOES THAT? You are right on target where you should be. I have lost 30lbs and if someone told me what she told you, I would punch them! I am so happy with my loss and would not want to be shot down like that!

I am sorry, but you need to tell your mom to go fly a kite!

Just sayin'!

Kelly

Listen, I KNOW that nobody can burst your bubble like your Mom. I also understand that when weight has been an issue in the household since childhood, that stuff is hard to break away from. But, I hope you read the post prior to mine. Don't look to anyone for approval with this. Numbers don't lie! Another thing, it is not uncommon for the last fat we lose to be in the tummy. I didn't think mine would ever go away. I had pants fitting so baggy everywhere but so tight on my tummy that I couldn't go down a size. It will come, I promise. On the flip side, my Mom who has been after me for my weight since I was 7 yrs old and put me on my 1st diet when I was 11, is now saying I look sick because I have lost so much. My response was, "well Mom you have been bitching at me over my weight for as long as I can remember, why stop now"!

:lol:

Seriously, you have made a life change that is going to make you healthier and happier for you and your son. If your mother can't share in that joy, it's her problem not yours.

Hang in there, you're doing GREAT.

Goodness, talk about a case of emotional sabotage. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. However, from the brief description you provided of Mom, I get the feeling she's a bit weight obsessed and probably feels pretty threatened by your weight-loss. I'm thinking she was feeling a bit intimidated and that is how it came out. People who feel threatened need to put a dent in your armor, so she zeroed in on a weak area for you- fear that you aren't succeeding. But, I don't know her- just a guess.

As I read your post, like the others, I noticed that you are at 33% of your excess weight lost without even being two months. That is a reason to dance on tabletops, not vent! To put it into perspective, I had lost about 38 pounds when I was at the same point as you, but that was only 27% of my excess weight. You are winning! You are a winner. Smile about that. :)

You are not a slow loser... 25lb in 7 weeks is bloody brilliant...

Sounds like your mam might be wishing it was her who had lost the weight?

TRY not to let others get you down... there are going to be negative comments, I've had a few, and yes the ones from our loved ones cut the deepest! But we have to rise above them and remember why we did this... why we chose the sleeve.

You haven't got much to lose compared to many - I know! We shouldn't compare - so take it easy... be kind to yourself and keep doing what you are doing.

Good luck; chin up and keep coming here to vent as much as you need... this is a great and safe place to sound off! =]

Dude, you've lost 1/3 of your weight in 45 days. You've lost TWENTY FIVE POUNDS. That's amazing. Don't listen to the naysayers. Sounds like she might be a wee bit jealous. Sorry you are dealing with it. If you aren't already, you might considering finding a counselor that specializes in weight loss issues. I did before surgery and it's one of the better decisions I've made in my life.