Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else out there required to take blood thinner injections after surgery?

I had my surgery on June 27th. I am required to take blood thinner injections for 14 days after getting home from the hospital. I think it is called levonox? Unfortunately, I started my period the morning of surgery. The injections have complicated my period and is causing me to bleed very heavily and is not stopping. I had an endometrial ablation October of last year, so I really shouldn't be bleeding very much at all at this time. My surgeon still wants me to keep taking the injections but has approved that I not take them for 2 days in hopes that my period will stop. So far it has not. This is really worrying me. I have been anemic since I had my ablation and do not want it to get any worse. I am also freaked out about getting a blood clot. I have a giant bruise on my inner thigh that showed up a day or 2 after surgery and is now getting a little sore. I also really hate giving myself the shots, even after watching my diabetic father do it to himself several times a day my whole life. Any thoughts on all of this?

Thanks~ Chelsea

I'm not sure why you're having to do them for so long. I didn't have to give myself shots. Five days before surgery, they had me take a prescription Vitamin k each morning leading up to surgery to thicken my blood. Then the morning of surgery, they gave me a shot of blood thinner in my stomach right before surgery. Then again shortly after surgery. Then 2 days later right before I left the hospital. But that was it. My doctor did advice me not to sleep with pillows under my knees. That that was a big no, no. That my legs should stay straight mostly while I rested. The blood needs to have a constant, undisturbed flow especially after surgery.

Maybe there was a reason your surgeon is taking the extra step with the blood thinner or maybe it's just a different doctor, different method of blood clot control. You should call your surgeon and get him to explain exactly why it has to be done this way and share your fears. Ask about the likelihood (sp?) of getting a blood clot and the bruising on your thigh. I had a big long lump come up in my arm where the placed the iv. I had something like this years ago from carrying a large heavy microwave. It caused a huge blood clot in my upper arm and it felt like a huge extension cord running through my arm. I was told by my doctor at the time that because of were it was at, it would break up on it's own and I didn't have to worry about it traveling to my heart. So with the lump in my arm now, I tend to want to panic about but i keep remembering what I was told years ago. The only reason I'm telling you this is because you may be worrying for nothing. Talk to your doctor and let him determine if there's a reason to worry. Hang in there! You'll be okay!

I have to give myself the shots also.....and I was kinda freaked out about it (even though like you I watched someone (brother) give themselves insulin shots for years). Surprisingly I am doing it like a pro......the anxiety leading up to it is lessening and I "just do it" lol. One of my nurses gave me a tip to let the alcohol dry off the skin before I inject and it won't sting. works great! i inject into my belly fat and I feel little or nothing!

I only have to do 7 days. I've not had any complications with bruising beyond my usual surgical IV site bruising which is fading.

Like you I am/was freaked out about the possibility of a blood clot do I am determined to do this, but honestly for me the fear/anxiety was overblown.

Perhaps you should call your gyn. and ask him for advice? Your surgeon used criteria to determine whether you were at risk for a post-surgical blood clot so I'd assume that that criteria is still relevant and you need to continue with the shots. I wonder if they can prescribe some Iron supplements or an infusion to help the anemia for these next 9 days? At the very least know that each day that passes you are closer to an end. Others have leaks or swallowing complications that seem to take forever to resolve so try to look at the bright side? This WILL end....

I had my surgery on June 27th. I am required to take blood thinner injections for 14 days after getting home from the hospital. I think it is called levonox? Unfortunately, I started my period the morning of surgery. The injections have complicated my period and is causing me to bleed very heavily and is not stopping. I had an endometrial ablation October of last year, so I really shouldn't be bleeding very much at all at this time. My surgeon still wants me to keep taking the injections but has approved that I not take them for 2 days in hopes that my period will stop. So far it has not. This is really worrying me. I have been anemic since I had my ablation and do not want it to get any worse. I am also freaked out about getting a blood clot. I have a giant bruise on my inner thigh that showed up a day or 2 after surgery and is now getting a little sore. I also really hate giving myself the shots, even after watching my diabetic father do it to himself several times a day my whole life. Any thoughts on all of this?

Thanks~ Chelsea

chelseachestnut I'm here to tell you that I had to take the same shots after my surgery. (no fun) but taking the shots made me have an extra sence of securty with blood clotting

Idk about everything else going on with you but that's why we have doctors. Take it easy and enjoy your new tummy. :)

Hmmm. I'm wondering why you guys have to take any of the shots at all? I didn't take ANYTHING

like vit.K, lovenox, coumadin, NOTHING pre- OR post surgery. Why would surgeons

be so very different when it comes to this? I had no complications whatsoever with bleeding,not

bleeding, etc. Since I've been losing weight though my hormones are going a bit crazy. I have PCOS

and have been bleeding for almost 2 weeks now. July 2nd I had a D&C and 2 units of blood.

But none of this had anything to do with the actual surgery. (Sleeved 3/15/11--and down 71lbs since then).

I hope things get better for you. Bleeding is VERY scary and should be dealt with immediately.

Good luck sister. Thoughts and prayers for you.

I did it for two weeks also. After the first shot, I didn't mind too much. It really went fast. I did have bruises, but they went away after I stopped the shots. Better safe than sorry!

I also did the shots for 14 days. Not fun...especially for a squeamish person like myself!! Every spot I put the needle, bruised. I alternated the sides of my stomach. I will heal and it's better to be safe!!!! :rolleyes:

My Dr. had a set of questions he asked in order to access the need for the shots. Each answer was assigned a numeric value, and the results were tallied and my "score" determined whether I had to take the shots and for how long. The only question that garnered me a score was regarding varicose veins = 1 week of shots post op/post hospital shots....2 more days and it will be over :)

I guess I have a different take on this: I NEVER would have believed I could administer a shot to myself. EVER.....so imagine how proud I am of myself regarding this whole situation- I had the strength and determination to pursue this surgery, I didn't chicken out at the 1st obstacle; I endured drinking stuff I never would have dreamed of before (liquid meds/drinks have always been an issue for me) AND I GAVE MYSELF SHOTS!!!

I am so freaking proud that I am conquering silly fears and issues and taking CONTROL OF MY HEALTH!!!

I feel sooooooo good too! seriously....I am giddy with anticipation. of losing, of new adventures, renewed confidence....the future looks bright!

besides...the needle doesn't even hurt, I'm injecting into a (large) layer of fat. if you let the alcohol dry it doesn't even sting. the fear was all in my head, and head problems have gotten me into this weight situation.....lol. i am bruising a bit at the injection sites, but so what? I bruise every time they take blood from me......there are no bikinis in my near future so who's gonna notice?

Thanks for all the info. The 2 day break really helped and my period has stopped. I took the shots yesterday and today and had no problems. I think my hormones were raging last week and I was just freaking out over all of this. Letting the alcohol dry does help with the stinging and if I do the shot quick, the only pain I get is a little stinging for a short time after I do the shot.

I was supposed to do the levenox injections for 2 weeks post op. After day 5 i was in so much pain doing them and I kept getting big bruises on the injection site. My doc said ok to stop so I was thrilled.....

Supposed to prevent blood clots so better be safe than sorry!

Dawn :)

I had to take the injections 10 days after surgery. I have thrombophilia, which is a blood clotting disorder. I actually had my daughter give me my shots. She is 8 and did a great job. She gives herself shots every night and I just couldn't bring myself to stick myself. I too started my period on about the 3 rd day of shots and thought I was going to bleed to death, but everything was fine. If I even had a period it would be very light and only last a day or two. So I can relate, it was awful. You will be fine.

ote name='ChelseaChestnut' timestamp='1309592508' post='172840']

Thanks~ Chelsea