Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The dreaded hair loss

Okay, I've been reading about everyone's almost inevitable Hair loss and how there is really nothing we can do to prevent it. I have also read (online and at other places) that sometimes the trauma of the anesthesia/surgery causes the hair to go into resting phase or whatever. It made sense to me and I accepted that as fact, then I started thinking, wait, I had tonsils out and gallbladder out and they had to put me under to remove a kidney stone and all told about 8 surgeries in my life and my hair never fell out with any of them? So, does this mean mine won't or is there something else at play here? Could it be that we just aren't getting enough nutrients at first?

Has your hair started falling out? I had some Hair loss around the 5-7 month mark, but that was only noticeable to me. I never had so much hair loss that I'd consider a hat or a wig, for sure. Yet other people go 1/2 bald. It seems that there's a lot of variation among individuals. Maybe you are just one of these people who don't lose much hair from stress.

Mine fell out after each of my childrens birth and a bit after my Tummy Tuck, but nothing compared to my Hair loss after the VSG. It has stopped but I lost about 30% of my hair I would estimate. Thank god I had a ton to start with but I am having to keep trimming it because it just is sorta stringy. I see a bunch of new growth around my temples so I am guessing it is coming back all through my scalp. Maybe your body doesnt respond to surgeries or health trauma that way but mine sure as heck did.

I did not notice any increase in hair loss after my previous surgeries but I sure have with the VSG. My hair is coming out in handfuls-literally. It's enough so that I had to put a strainer thingy in the tub to catch the hair. I went from washing my hair daily to only washing it 2-3 times a week because it comes out so badly. I run a brush through it and TONS comes out. If I straight, curl, blow dry my hair there will be hair all over the floor.

I think it's more of a hormonal issue and the trauma our bodies go through with fast weight loss.

From everything I've read, it's the combination of major trauma to the body, anesthesia, and the major dietary change. I lost hair after my gallbladder removal as well.

My hairloss over a month ago was bad. Now not so bad. I take 5000 mg of Biotin and 50 mg of zinc on top of my multi and I use Nutri-Ox Shampoo and conditioner.The loss seems not as much now. I will continue using for awhile.

Deb :)

So we all fear the dreaded hair loss! I am desperate so I decided to use a home remedy for Hair loss. I am putting the gel of the aloe vera in my conditioner. It has been less than 2 weeks so I can not really see any change. I will keep you posted to see if it works for me :)

I have not had my surgery yet but just spoke with my hair dresser over the weekend. She advised me to start using Nioxin hair care products and keep using them throughout this first year. She said although I will see some Hair loss due to the shock of my system this will help replenish the hair growth! I am keeping my fingers crossed that it works!

what is tha Vitamins tha docs give pregos? cause that seems to make hair and nail growth rampant.

Prenatal vitmans :D

I read some where that it's lack of Protein which causes your hair to shed. It isnt permenant but because your body is lacking proper nutrients it affects the hormones. Similar to stress- when you stress you can either lose your hair gain or lose weight etc. Your body is going through a drastic changes and needs to readapt at this point.

Hope this makes sense ladies/gents :rolleyes:

Okay, I've been reading about everyone's almost inevitable Hair loss and how there is really nothing we can do to prevent it. I have also read (online and at other places) that sometimes the trauma of the anesthesia/surgery causes the hair to go into resting phase or whatever. It made sense to me and I accepted that as fact, then I started thinking, wait, I had tonsils out and gallbladder out and they had to put me under to remove a kidney stone and all told about 8 surgeries in my life and my hair never fell out with any of them? So, does this mean mine won't or is there something else at play here? Could it be that we just aren't getting enough nutrients at first?

Not sure if anyone else said this (and I'm too lazy to read all the responses), but my nutritionist said that the reason people MAY experience hair loss, is because of a lack of Protein. She said if you stick to the Vitamins you are given, and get the recommended amount of protein, you shouldn't see too much damage. This is something I've been worrying also. I plan on being a stickler when it comes to protein and vitamins!! Oh and fyi, they have vitamins that help with Hair growth as well, so you may want to pick some of that up.

I've read that Iron and zinc deficiencies can play into Hair loss as well. I'm looking into what supplements to use for these. Liver and clams are the two best foods to use for iron, and oysters are apparently loaded with zinc. Not foods that I'd eat every single day, but I do plan to incorporate them into my diet maybe 2-3 times weekly. I love chopped chicken liver, and there's a great recipe for a clam pizza on http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.com.

I did not notice any increase in hair loss after my previous surgeries but I sure have with the VSG. My hair is coming out in handfuls-literally. It's enough so that I had to put a strainer thingy in the tub to catch the hair. I went from washing my hair daily to only washing it 2-3 times a week because it comes out so badly. I run a brush through it and TONS comes out. If I straight, curl, blow dry my hair there will be hair all over the floor.

I think it's more of a hormonal issue and the trauma our bodies go through with fast weight loss.

Sasicas I'm in the same boat as you are! I lasted almost to the four month mark without feeling like my hair was going, but now it's falling out like CRAZY!! I take Biotin and Protein every day but nothing is working!! When did it finally stop for you guys?

I have lost about 1/2 of my hair. It really bums me out but I know that it's likely to come back in 6 months or so. I get over 80 grams of Protein daily, take 10,000 mg Biotin and use Nioxin Shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. I think this is slowing down the loss but it's definately not preventing it. Ugh.