Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to know who has Dr. Cantor through Kaiser and how long is or was your wait to have sugery once you were approved by the committee. Also what do I need to do so that I can possibly speed up my process...........

I want to know who has Dr. Cantor through Kaiser and how long is or was your wait to have sugery once you were approved by the committee. Also what do I need to do so that I can possibly speed up my process...........

Hi Ann 10,

I am awaiting sleeve surgery by Dr. Cantor, an doctor who performs WLS at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring, Md. He is an excellent doctor, is friendly and straigth forward. He only performs Kaiser surgeries on Mondays and with Kaiser no longer using George Washington University Hospital, Dr. Cantor has a long waiting list.

You will need to attend bariatric informational sessions at Holy Cross. You will find them listed on the Holy Cross Hospital web site under special programs or somthing similar. The session that focuses on Kaiser is the fourth Wednesday of each month and he requires patients to attend 2 or 3 sessions. You must register for the meetings but there is no charge. Information regarding the online support group is on the web site. I highly recommend you join this group. I have learned so much from members who have had the surgery!

Dr. Cantor requires a sleep apnea test, so seek a referral from your PCP as soon as possible. Kaiser has several sleep study sections in the area. You will receive a machine to take home and hook-up the various wires to your body to record your sleep patterns and oxygen level. The machine must be returned the next day and a doctor reviews the data stored in the machine and determines if you have sleep apnea. Having sleep apnea will not cancel your surgery. A diagnosis of sleep apnea means that you will have to bring the CPAP machine to the hospital.

He also requires a test to determine if a certain bacteria is in your stomach (can't remember the name). However, he will tell you about the test at the informational session. After surgery his patients must inject themselves with a blood thinner to decrease the occurance of blood clots.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Lexusgirl,

Now I did the sleep study, did the H plyoric test and ecocardiogram as well as went to two seminars@ holy cross had a physical too hoping that this could possibly speed up my process. I just got my referrel today for Dr. Cantor and believe you me I called member services and his office to update my contact info. How long did you wait for you first appt with him and how far out was or is your surgery date

Hi Ann,

I agree with lexusgirl14. I have Dr. Cantor also...and I had to wait about 7 months between my office visit with him and my surgery date. But, it looks like he is taking on more patients now...so the wait may be shorter.

Toyia

Hi Ann 10,

I am awaiting sleeve surgery by Dr. Cantor, an doctor who performs WLS at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring, Md. He is an excellent doctor, is friendly and straigth forward. He only performs Kaiser surgeries on Mondays and with Kaiser no longer using George Washington University Hospital, Dr. Cantor has a long waiting list.

You will need to attend bariatric informational sessions at Holy Cross. You will find them listed on the Holy Cross Hospital web site under special programs or somthing similar. The session that focuses on Kaiser is the fourth Wednesday of each month and he requires patients to attend 2 or 3 sessions. You must register for the meetings but there is no charge. Information regarding the online support group is on the web site. I highly recommend you join this group. I have learned so much from members who have had the surgery!

Dr. Cantor requires a sleep apnea test, so seek a referral from your PCP as soon as possible. Kaiser has several sleep study sections in the area. You will receive a machine to take home and hook-up the various wires to your body to record your sleep patterns and oxygen level. The machine must be returned the next day and a doctor reviews the data stored in the machine and determines if you have sleep apnea. Having sleep apnea will not cancel your surgery. A diagnosis of sleep apnea means that you will have to bring the CPAP machine to the hospital.

He also requires a test to determine if a certain bacteria is in your stomach (can't remember the name). However, he will tell you about the test at the informational session. After surgery his patients must inject themselves with a blood thinner to decrease the occurance of blood clots.

Hope this helps!

Wow, I see a lot of other Marylanders here. Hi! I'm in Cockeysville/Hunt Valley area!

I am not with Dr. Cantor or Holy Cross - I'm actually going through the COMP program based at GBMC in Towson. My surgeon is Dr. Peter Liao.

I don't know how many of you are close to Baltimore, but might it be worth it to switch over? He has no long waiting period to start with, just go to the seminar and schedule your first consultation from there.

The other doc in the program, Dr Moeinolmolki is similar.

This may speed up your process or may be completely off the wall, not sure. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Thanks im trying to see if I could switch surgeons because I was informed today that it is about a six month waiting list

Thanks Lexusgirl,

Now I did the sleep study, did the H plyoric test and ecocardiogram as well as went to two seminars@ holy cross had a physical too hoping that this could possibly speed up my process. I just got my referrel today for Dr. Cantor and believe you me I called member services and his office to update my contact info. How long did you wait for you first appt with him and how far out was or is your surgery date

Hi Ann,

I think so... at first Dr. Cantor was only doing weight loss surgeries on Mondays, now he is doing them on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Are you on the Holly Cross Chat list? Sometimes, they send information out about Dr. Cantor's surgery schedule.

Toyia

Toyia

If he takes on more how does that make the wait time shorter

Hi Toyia,

Yes Im using Holy Cross. I dont know about a list as of yet because my appointment is on July 12th. But I did do the information classes at Holy Cross and in Dr. Cantor packet he stated that he wanted a physical,h-phyloric test, sleep study, and also an ecocardiogram done (I think that im spelling the tests right) but i have already did all those testing and my results were fine so Im hoping this will also speed up the process for me. How long have you been waiting or did you wait after the first visit with him. Im so excited because this is something that I have thought about for years.......

Ann,

Hi. I, too, am waiting for Dr. Cantor. I had my first visit with Dr. Cantor in March. As of today, I am still waiting. One thing you can do to possibly shorten your wait time is, after your initial visit with Dr. Cantor, contact his Bariatric Coordinator (Jeanne Ferber - she runs the informational sessions at Holy Cross) and ask her to put you on the list for patients who can have surgery on short notice. This will, if you are called, mean that, if you accept, you will have surgery within 2-3 weeks after getting the call. Whenever someone cancels their surgery, people on this list are called to see if they can take the surgery spot opened up by the cancellation. It's not guaranteed that you will shorten your wait time, but it is possible. Hope this helps.