Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what med did they give you post op?

When I had my AGB & gallbladder out I was given liquid Lortab. It worked well, but I had to stay on top of it. It makes my dad gag but I thought it tasted ok. :)

my surgery is scheduled for 7/20/11!!! i'm excited but nervous- will the med be strong enough to kill the pain?:unsure:

I was on a diluad pump that let me press the button every 6 minutes, with additional shots allowed as needed. One push of the button the pain was GONE!

Morphine on request every 30 minutes at hospital and liquid lortab for home. Pain very well controlled and didn't need Morphine that frequently.

Morphine on demand every 30 minutes by IV in the hospital. The day after surgery I felt like a junkie. I would nod out when people came to visit! I didn't need or want the morphine after the first day. I didn't hurt that badly. They gave me Lortab liquid for when I got home.

Hi-

I had a pushbutton drip every 6 minutes- dilaludin?

Morphine makes me crazy (ER) :D

I stopped the drip on day 2 and went to tylonol/codein by mouth every 4 hours, then

had same at home- only used it to put me to sleep-

i didn;t sleep much in hospital- the machines would beep- my heart rate dropped to 46 -

and would wake me... I tried the cpap but it didn't help. I have a low resting heart rate...even though I am fat. Morbidly obese tongue.gif

everyone is different- after day one- the pain you feel is Gas... nothing takes it away...

however walking and some downward dog stretches at home seemed to help get it passed. ;)

surgery site for me was secondary and hardly anything... when I got home my puppy jumped on my stomach... many times... gotta love them small cute dogs...

my cat also slept right on top all night.. . My wife cringed, she was not able to sleep lying down for a week...

please don't be scared, the things I had issues with going in were my least of my worries,

drinking and eating and standing up, and then urinating after they took the catheter out...

i could walk- it was just the getting up, maintaing through the dizziness... then I was a track star...

nurses let me wander...

and drinking... I had four little thimble of a glass and was supposed to drink 1 every 15 minutes...

I got one an hour down... My wife would remind me, to drink... (though it sounded like she was yelling :D and the food trays... Oh boy...

1 spoon of apple sauce... enuf! however - each day gets better...

knowing that one or two weeks you will be less than normal,

Push button drip( do not know what was in there) but it was magic. Keep pressN that button. You will not overdose. At home liquid loratab works just as well!!

I was on diluad pump in hospital and HIGH as a kite!! the next day, they swiched me over to liquid vicoden and sent me home with a HUGE bottle of it.

I never even took it! Didn't need it. You will be fine!!! Your stomach doesn't have nerves in it like your fingers or toes. You will not feel where they cut it out! PROMISE!! You will be sore and might have gas. That was the worst pain for me was the gas, but the pain meds weren't going to help with that!! I felt like I did 2,000 crunches about 5 days after surgery and looked like I had been beat with a ball bat for a couple of weeks!! LOL

I did take some liquid Tylenol a couple times for a headache, but overall, I was fine and most are too. Good luck to you!

Kelly

I had a pain ball plus morphine every 4 hours. And I made sure to keep track of it myself b/c often they would not give it to me unless I asked. I took as much as I was allowed while in there regardless. When I got out they gave me loritab. Within about 5 days I didn't feel the need for it anymore and I stopped taking it. To be honest, I didn't like how it made me feel after a few days.

Um, hate to say this but my story is very different from all of the other posters.

My VSG surgery was done as a an outpatient procedure. No pain pump, no cathedar, no staples, and no nurses prodding me all night long. Now, I did experience nausea but the only pain meds I took was on night three to sleep since my days and night sleep patterns had been mixed up.

Don't expect the worse, expect the best. I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

Um, hate to say this but my story is very different from all of the other posters.

My VSG surgery was done as a an outpatient procedure. No pain pump, no cathedar, no staples, and no nurses prodding me all night long. Now, I did experience nausea but the only pain meds I took was on night three to sleep since my days and night sleep patterns had been mixed up.

Don't expect the worse, expect the best. I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

How did you like having the surgery as outpatient? I haven't seen a lot of cases where it's done as outpatient, but that is how my surgeon does it too. For out of towners like myself, he has you stay in a local hotel so that he can make "housecalls" for a couple of days. Did you have any problems right after surgery?

Doctors and hospitals have all kinds and strengths of pain killers, but they rely on YOU to tell them your level of pain. I ALWAYS exaggerate. There is simply no advantage that I can see in being timid or scared to ask. You are NOT expected to share the burden of your pain and/or discomfort. I was in the hospital once for an operation and the guy next to me had a very serious leg injury. He was moaning in pain through the whole night, but when the nurse came around he would be as quiet as a mouse. I finally ask him if it hurt, and he said it was the worst pain he had ever felt in his life. I told the nurse, and she asked him directly, 'does it hurt?'. He said 'yes, ma'am, something awful.' They have him morphine. That was my good deed for the day. Hospitals want you to have the best possible experience in their facility; they WANT you to be comfortable. I tell the doctors (and nurses) at the very beginning that I don't like pain and have a fairly high tolerance level - in other words, need more. Pain medicine is cheap; tell them if you are uncomfortable. OK?

Lortab here. Be sure to ask for them to add flavoring to it, though, as I understand it doesn't taste to good on its own. I got the green apple flavor, which was OK.

I, too, was outpatient and everything was very smooth. Actually took my wife out to dinner the night of the surgery. (with a little loritab in me!)

<br><br>I also had a drip ball with tubes going in. It was under pressure and delivered something ... I had no interaction with it, except carrying it around in a little hip bag for 3 days.