Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have surgery w/a baby at home?

Just curious if anyone had their surgery while caring for an infant or toddler. My adorable and active son will be 11 months when I have my surgery. Thankfully, I will have husband and Mom to help me, but I'm sad that I won't be able to pick him up for 4-5 days and am wondering how I will cope!

I didn't have THIS surgery when my son was young, but I did have the crapband put in when he was 18 months. The first few days home were HARD, I won't lie about that. Having the energy to keep up with the booger was a challenge, but I took full advantage of nap time and napped when he did. lol. Otherwise, it wasn't bad. I just had to be guarded about my incisions for a couple of weeks, which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I also had a harder time picking him up. (My kid is off the charts when it comes to his height, and also 95% for his weight. He's five now and he's still WAY tall!!!)

Good luck! It'll be a little difficult with a toddler, but it's doable. :D

I, too, will have an infant when I return from Mexico. She will turn 2 months old the day my husband and I leave. But, on the good side, she's little (6# 14oz @ the dr today) so I won't have any picking up restrictions. At least I don't think I will. It's nothing over 25#, right? Even though you can't pick up your little one, you can still cuddle! Use your mom and hubby as the baby elevator that brings him to you, or you get comfy on the floor with him. Use a pillow to protect your tummy and just cuddle away.

My baby was 8 months old when I had surgery. I had my mum helping so it was fine. I'm sure you'll be fine/, good luck

Thanks for the replies, ladies! Gives me some encourgement that there have been others that have delt with surgery with little ones at home! I will def be letting my Mom and hub act as the "elevators" and lift him to me. The bright side is he will be very helpful with my walks as he LOVES to get outside. And Kristey.."crapband" made me LOL! So true!

I've been wondering about this. I didn't have any kids when I had mg AGB surgery. My DD is now about 2.5. DH is going to REALLY have to pitch in because I normally take her in to daycare (she can get in and out of her carseat, but I have an SUV so she needs to be lifted up/down into it). That's really going to alter our schedules a LOT until I'm able to lift her. It's also going to be hard on her. She's still a big mommy's girl and is used to me greeting her with a big hug & picking her up. I can imagine the tantrums our house will see when mommy can't "uppy" her...

my baby will be 10months old next month when I have my sleeve so i have to make sure i don't put him up he is super spoiled ... and so very cute ... i have my hubby and my 4 yr old who picks the baby up all the time now so i should be find .....good luck everyone....

My son just turned one today. My post-op guidelines said not to lift anything over 20 lbs. My guy, six weeks ago, was maybe 22 lbs. I know its over but it was so close I figured it wasn't a big deal. I did fine.