Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would really love for some “seniors” to share some of their experiences. For example, your recovery after surgery, and maybe your progress since surgery. My insurance requires six months of doctor visits before approval. So, I still have three months to go and am still in the process of completing all the required test. I’ve been pouring over all the posts in the forums and I guess becoming a little apprehensive, especially in the area of recovery. I guess my biggest fear is the hours following surgery. I’m reading about morphine drips, etc. and wondering how much pain I can expect…honesty, please! .

Please define "seniors", over 50? Over 60? Over 65? I'm 50.

I experienced very little pain, took the pain pills as directed for the first couple of days then only took them at night to help me sleep - I have NEVER liked the feeling that pain pills gave me, the feeling of being out of control and groggy. I experienced only minor pain and just disregarded it. The incisions are very small and for me at least just stung without any real pain.

I am 61. I happen to have a high tolerance for pain but I guess hearing "morphine" sort of freaked me out.

Thanks for your input.

I am 63 years old and the pain was very minimal. At the hospital the nurses kept telling me to slow down and not walk so fast. I recovered very fast. The day after I got home from the hospital I was up and going. I never spent any time in bed. I think the secret to a successful surgery such as this is to get up and be active right away. My friends were amazed at my fast recovery. My experience may be unusual but I have had NO complications or difficulty with this surgery. The other "secret" is that I started drinking the shakes and trying to lose weight the day of my first seminar instead of waiting just before the surgery to start the diet. I was already in the pattern of two shakes a day and a small meal before I had the surgery. I lost 41 lb prior to surgery. :rolleyes:

I am 63 years old and the pain was very minimal. At the hospital the nurses kept telling me to slow down and not walk so fast. I recovered very fast. The day after I got home from the hospital I was up and going. I never spent any time in bed. I think the secret to a successful surgery such as this is to get up and be active right away. My friends were amazed at my fast recovery. My experience may be unusual but I have had NO complications or difficulty with this surgery. The other "secret" is that I started drinking the shakes and trying to lose weight the day of my first seminar instead of waiting just before the surgery to start the diet. I was already in the pattern of two shakes a day and a small meal before I had the surgery. I lost 41 lb prior to surgery. :rolleyes:

That’s great! When were you sleeved?........My BMI is just at 40, so I really can’t start to lose weight until I have been approved. As of right now I don’t have any underlying conditions that would allow for a lower BMI so I was told to just maintain my current weight at this time. In the meantime I am going to explore different shakes and Protein powders and find one I like so I’ll be ready.

I have not had the surgery yet but I am scheduled for Sep 2. I too have started one Protein Shake a day and will transition to two a day two weeks before surgery. The doctors say the reason it is good to lose a little before the surgery is because the liver shrinks a bit and can be "laid back" and would be out of the way when the sleeve is performed. I am 57 and this is the best thing I've done about my weight for the past 35 years. Think about the future and what a LIFE you will have when you start feeling better about yourself and more comfortable in your skin. Best Wishes!

I had surgery a year ago tomorrow at age 62. No problems here. My doctor told me I did better than many of his younger patients. The day of surgery was tough. Not pain as they kept that well controlled. The 2d day huge improvement; the third day even better, etc

I had no complications. I continued to use liquid lortab as pain killer for a while upon release but that was for severe arthritis not the surgery. The more one walks the faster one recovery.

I'm 55 and was sleeved 3/10/11. Surgery went fine and I took no pain meds after I returned home. I had no problems the first week but tired very easily. I started mushies the 2nd week and had problems withnausea/ vomitting for about 3 weeks. In retrospect, I probably should have done full liquids for a couple of weeks but I was following doctors instructions. By 4 weeks I was over the worst of it and began to feel normal. My stomach was no longer constantly in my thoughts LOL!

I have learned to love my sleeve over the last 2.5 months. I hit a 2 week stall about 2 weeks ago and decreased my fat grams and elimiated caffeine. Oh, did I mention I started back on Diet dr. Pepper at 2 months? I sip and have had no problems. Now I drink de-caf!

Weight loss is a little slower than I expected but I am extremely satisfied with my sleeve!

I'm 62, so I guess I fit into the "senior" scenario. I have been sleeved for two weeks. I can't say I had a lot of pain. It was more like soreness. The worst discomfort was getting in and out of bed and coughing. If you have had abdominal surgery before, you know that coughing is necessary to re-expand the lungs and prevent pneumonia. I found it painful the first couple of days, but was able to "splint" my abdomen with a pillow pressed firmly against my tummy, and that helped with the coughing significantly. My surgeon did not use any narcotic pain medication, just a medication called Toredol. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory that can be given either orally, as a shot or as an IV push. I was given it IV push, I really could not tell if I was any better pain wise after the Toredol than before, the discomfort level seemed about the same to me, no matter how long it had been since I had the Toredol. I carried some pain pills with me that I had been prescribed by another physician when I fell and hurt my knee. I did not use these when I was in the hospital, but after discharge we elected to stay in San Diego for a couple of extra days before traveling home, and I did use them once or twice during our stay. I haven't used them in over a week now however, and feel no need for them.

Thanks for the information. I'm glad you're doing well.

I'm 50 and had very minimal pain. . .nothing that tylenol couldn't handle. In the hospital the gas pain was the killer, but i walked like a mad woman and that helped alot. (staff even got upset with me cause i was walking too much ! LOL )

I would really love for some “seniors” to share some of their experiences. For example, your recovery after surgery, and maybe your progress since surgery. My insurance requires six months of doctor visits before approval. So, I still have three months to go and am still in the process of completing all the required test. I’ve been pouring over all the posts in the forums and I guess becoming a little apprehensive, especially in the area of recovery. I guess my biggest fear is the hours following surgery. I’m reading about morphine drips, etc. and wondering how much pain I can expect…honesty, please! .

Hi All,

I am awaiting surgery and I greatly appreciate senior "sleevers" sharing their experinces. As a senior, I have been concerned about the surgery and post op recovery. After reading the comments this evening, I feel much better!

Thank you so much!!!!

Good for you! and I wish you all the best and a "Speedy" recovery! Definitely update us when you're feeling better